Search

New Zealand in winter-june

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Zealand in winter-june

We are planniing to visit our daughter in the Peace Corps in Fiji in June when she will have been gone for a year. Being so close, we can't pass up the jaunt to New Zealand but, what will it be like in June? We really want to see the South Island but wonder if it will be too cold to make touring much fun. Any thoughts? Thanks. Chris
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:13 AM

We asked the same question since we were planning a trip that would have us in New Zealand the end of June, beginning of July. We asked our friends who are from Christchurch and they said that it was still well worth it. I don't know where you are located, but we are from Chicago and so winter for us is sub-zero and blowing a gale. They said that we will run into a real mix of weather, but that on the whole it will be milder than what we think of as winter. We want to go to Milford Sound and they said that we should try to leave that fairly flexible since it will be weather dependent. If you want to have it a bit warmer than it might be down around Queenstown you could consider the northern part of the South Island (Abel Tasman and such). I agree that if you are already that close - it would be a shame not to take in New Zealand.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 03:24 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I've not visited NZ in June, but I have visited in May, August and September, so I've experienced some of the NZ winter.

It can definitely be a mixed bag of weather, but nothing compared to winter in my home state of Colorado.

Generally speaking, higher elevations will be colder, as will the southern part of the South Island. The north of the South Island will be warmer and will have more sun.

Don't let weather concerns deter you - you never know - you might have absolutely gorgeous weather. We have experienced many crisp, sunny days during the winter.

Be prepared for anything - a fleece jacket and a waterproof layer work well for us.

Do you ski? If so, you might consider a bit of skiing while you're there.

You really can't go wrong in NZ, no matter the time of year.

Have a great time.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the reply. We'll pack warm and have a wonderful time I am sure. I have found quite a bit of other advise about travel in June so I am sure it will be well worth the trip. Can't wait. Thanks. Chris
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 08:47 AM

Our first trip was early May (6 years ago). We only visited the S Island. It was generally beautiful and mostly clear. Only a couple days of rain in 10 days. Wore a good jacket. Had a great trip. No severe weather.

Our second trip was the beginning of December (we returned home 2 days ago). We visited both islands. We expected warm, early summer weather. We had mixed weather. Lots of overcast and cool days. Lots of weather systems going on that changed our plans several days. Lots of clouds and rain.

So.....go whenever you can and hope for the best I would definitely go in June, just take the warm clothing you'll need.