COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

NZ Northland - Do we need hotel reservations?

Old Apr 24th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

NZ Northland - Do we need hotel reservations?

We will be travelling to NZ in Feb. 2010, spending one night in Auckland, then setting
out for Northland in a rent car for 4-5 days, ending up in Auckland again before heading out on the train. Do we need hotel/b&b/motel reservations during that time of year
or can we just go without, stopping whenever we want and getting a decent place to stay?
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Bay of Islands, Pahia and Russell are very popular locations in Northland but with school holidays finished and tourism generally getting less because of global economics, you should not have too much trouble getting somewhere as you go.

As you come out of customs at Auckland, turn left and about opposite a little cafe is a visitor info place where you can get free AA maps and regional booklkets that have a heap of accommodation info and also look out for the "i" sign in any towns, information centres that'll be able to offer local advice.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Hi

I would suggest that you book your first and last night accommodation in advance and do some research so that you have a list of possible places to stay in advance and can call ahead.

Our own holiday period will be over and you will have no difficulty in finding accommodation. There are lopt of motels in Paihia but if you want other types of accommodation probably best as I say to do some homework.

Sunday February 6th is Waitangi Day which celebrates the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi by the crown and Maori in 1840 at Waitangi just up the road from Paihia and there may well be pressure on accommodation around this date - just something to bear in mind.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for both of your replies. We do not get to NZ until the latter part of Feb, so Waitangi DAy shouldn't be a problem. I will do my research and have our route in mind, but not worry about making every single reservation.

Carol
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 03:33 PM

http://www.warkworth-information.co.nz/ is well worth considering a s a region for first day/night, not too far from Auckland, forest/beach walks, Royal Mail Boat Cruise, wineries etc.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 10:43 AM

There isn't any reason at all to spend time in Warkworth...head to Northland as far north as you can. Matai Bay, Coopers and Cable Bay...beautiful!
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 01:54 PM

" There isn't any reason at all to spend time in Warkworth...head to Northland as far north as you can. Matai Bay, Coopers and Cable Bay...beautiful!"

Just depends on interests mlgb and how far they feel up to driving on day after arrival, wineries, forest walks, beaches, Royal mail cruise all in that area.

For the night in Auckland mandymo, www.rainbow.co.nz may be worth a look.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Should be * www.rainbowhotel.co.nz *
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

We are arriving from a week in Australia, but don't get in until 11:00pm. So, next day we will be fine to get going. Being from Texas where we drive long distances (but straight and multi-lane), and having driven on the "wrong side" before,
shouldn't be a problem.

Is Rainbow a place to stay? I'm having trouble with the link.

Carol
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Oops. Just saw your second post Bushranger.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 10:20 PM

You might be better off to pick somewhere close to airport then Carol for the Airport/City bus system last bus leaves at 10:15 pm and a taxi fare will be up there somewhere and you could probably save yourself a days car hire by staying near airport and getting a car in morning, just a much smaller taxi fare to a closer hotel and some have pick-up services.
. www.centra.co.nz and if you want a cheaper one, there's one [maybe two]about directly opposite [can't remember name but it's easy enough to see] and then just up road to left a bit further from the intersection where Centra and others are is http://skywaylodge.co.nz/ that doubles as a backpackers and a motel, backpacker facilities being quite good or were when I stayed once, just people like yourself coming/going from/to airport.

And whereas most main car hire companies are at airport, they could take some fetting to around Auckland CBD.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bushranger. I was looking at Jet Park Hotel -- they have a free shuttle 24 hours/day. Gets OK reviews for an overnight. The next day we could shuttle back to the airport,
rent a car, and head out.