NZ Lodging Questions-I need some helpful tips!!

Old Apr 20th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NZ Lodging Questions-I need some helpful tips!!

Hi everyone-I am almost done planning my accommodation for a month long trip to the North and South Island of NZ. I am trying to figure out where to stay in Queenstown, Auckland, Wellington, and the Blenheim/Marlborough area.

In Queenstown I have looked at the following places: Rydges, Four Seasons Motel, Blue Peaks Lodge, Aspen, A Line, Mountain View. Has anyone stayed at these and have any suggestions? I want a nice, safe place very close to the center of town so I can walk to and from my hotel to the cafes, restaurants (I will have a car).

In the Marlborough/Blenheim region I have looked at the Black Birch Lodge and the Antares Homestay. I want something close to the wineries in town. How far away are tours of the Marlborough Sounds? Any good suggestions for wine tours where they pick you up and drive you to different wineries for the day?

As for Auckland and Wellington I am up for suggestions. Ideally, I would like to pay between $40-100 USD for reasonable accommodation. I am going to NZ from July 1-August 1, 2003. I know, it will be cold but I"ll survive!! Thank you in advance for your help. Abby
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 11:42 AM

abby, I just returned from NZ. GORGIOUS!! Words cannot describe. All B & B's we stayed were great and very reasonable. $80-$95 single and $95-$100 double NZ dollars. We found Queenstown beautiful and I felt safe all over town...accually every where we went.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 01:21 PM

Abby,

Although we didn't stay at any of the above mentioned hotels, we did stay at the Quality Terraces. Much to our surprise, it was VERY nice for the price we paid. We walked many times into downtown (a short walk) & would then take the bus/tram back with our gifts and after a large meal. It stopped right in front of the Terraces. All rooms faces the lake & mountains & had a fridge.

Amy
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback. Quality Terraces in Qtown is already full. Any other suggestions for the towns I mentioned? What activities did you do that were extra special and fun-can't misses?? Thanks for the input!
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 04:52 PM

Abby -

The Rydges at Queenstown has gotten good reviews from people on this board previously. I tried to stay there, but they were booked when I was there. It is in a great location, along the lake front, a short walk from downtown. It would be very convenient.
Martha
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 06:03 PM

Abby43:
We stayed at the Rydges, Queenstown, on two separate occassions. Once in November of 1999 for 3 nights, then again in 2000 for 8 nights. We had a room overlooking Lake Wakatipu and The Remarkables.
We were well satified with the accommodations and the service. The walk to town takes about 5 minutes.
I highly recommend it.
Be sure to take the dinner cruise on the TSS Earnslaw. Very romantic.

In Wellington we stayed at the City Life Hotel. It's in the center of the CBD and in your price range. Nice location for shopping and lunch but everything closes about 5pm. We were directed to Courtney Place for dinner. It's a lovely area of the city where there is an abundance of international restaurants that are open late. It's a short taxi ride from City Life.
You'll love New Zealand.
John
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 01:57 AM

HI Abby
For a quality B & B in Auckland in a good area I recommend Ascot Parnell, their website is just that - ascotparnell.com
Better than staying downtown, I do not recommend wandering around downtown Auckland at night on your own, sad but true. Parnell is a nice area with good restaurants and there are buses into town or to Newmarket which has good shopping. A shuttle bus service would take you direct to the airport from the B & B.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 08:05 PM

Hi Abby,

A good website for last minute discounted hotel rooms is www.wotif.com.
I use it frequently and have never had any problems whatsoever.

You can book about 2 weeks in advance so if you haven't sorted anything out yet, give it a go.

Good luck ~ Christa
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Any other suggestions for Auckland in the Parnell district and Wellington? Thanks.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 02:28 PM

I gave you the best place for Parnell.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

I know, but it may be out of my price range. That's why I was hoping for some other Parnell suggestions that aren't too pricey. Also in Wellington where is the best area to stay? I only have one day/one night there and want to make sure I"m near where the cafes, activities are. Thanks for your input.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 09:33 PM

There's Chaletchevron.co.nz also in Parnell but really there's not much difference in the price
They are certainly no more expensive than those places you have selected in Queenstown.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 01:05 PM

For the second time. The action in Wellington is in Courtney Place. Please reread my earlier post.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 01:49 PM
LN

When we were headed to Queenstown a couple places were booked so I found Hurley's on the net. I booked it (quite reasonable) and found that I was totally pleased when we arrived.

We had an apartment, not a room or a suite, very updated and looked out at the Remarkables mountain range. The manager was great and I'd stay there anytime I was in queenstown.

I think it was in the $100 NZ range and that is truly a bargain.

Enjoy your trip
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 05:56 PM

If you are in Wellington on a weekend day, ask for the w/end rates as they are cheaper then, it's the capital and the diplomats etc go home at w/ends.
No matter what you will pay $50us for a nice room in a hotel and at those rates it's comparable to anywhere else these days. There are not many B & B's in Wellington and it's a very compact city so it's easy to get round. If for one night it's best to be in the center, bite the bullet and go for it.
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 06:13 PM

Abby,
I'm so glad that your plans are coming together as I know you've been researching this trip for awhile. Several months ago we communicated via e-mail concerning your North Island part of the trip. I sent you some of my plans and also a trip report. I wonder if you still have the trip report and if so can you send it back to me. Somehow I lost this e-mail and would like to have it. By the way I also lost your e-mail address. Thanks
Mim
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 11:48 PM

I have stayed at Rydges and Aspen In Q'town. Rydges is pretty good with a nice spa pool on the roof and only a few minutes wlka into town. The Aspen is a drive from town if i remember rightly. The room we had wasnt very good, felt very bland and not cosy at all but the dining room has the most amazing view ever.