NZ by Train

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Dick

NZ by Train

Is it possible to tour this country by train? Thanks in advance

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Kelly

Hi Dick~ It is really really really easy to drive in NZ and offers you so much more flexibility. You may want to explore this option. Cheers, Kelly

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:17 PM
ALF

NZ does not have a good track network across the whole country. You can take a train on the North Island from Auckland to Wellington, with side spurs to Rotorua &amp; Taupo. On the South Island, you can go from Picton to Christchurch, then over the Southern Alps to Greymout. That's it. Here's a Web site for TranzScenic:<BR>http://www.tranzscenic.co.nz/<BR><BR>The Tranzalpine train over the Alps is spectacular and worth the ride. Other than that, I agree with Kelly - it will be more cost- and time-effective to hire a car.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 07:45 AM
John

Dick:<BR>Another vote for driving, having done both. Once out on the open road you will go for miles without meeting an oncoming vehicle. Especially in the South Island.<BR>John

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Dick

Thanks, I guess it's drive and a train thru the alps for good measure. Thank you