NZ advice

Jun 5th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

NZ advice

We'll arrive in Auckland early on June 22 and depart from Auckland on June 26. Do we spend that time in Wellington or Christchurch? I hear that Christchurch is beautiful, but that the weather will likely be cold, grey, windy, rainy. Thoughts?
Jun 5th, 2009, 04:55 PM

With only 4 days I'm not sure you want to venture as far as either place. How about spending it around Auckland and maybe venturing down to Rotorua and Taupo, or up to the Bay of Islands or the Coromandel? Both Christchurch and Wellington will be pretty chilly then. Depends what you like to see on your holidays I guess.
Jun 6th, 2009, 11:08 AM

I love Wellington, but haven't been to Christchurch. What are your interests?

Since you only have three full days, you may want to take drjem's suggestion and go somewhere like the Bay of Islands.

Lee Ann
Jun 6th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

I'm interested in seeing as much as possible, I guess. I hear great things about Christchurch. I'd like to see the Museum of New Zealand in Wellington. In general we like museums, architecture, restaurants, shopping (for local items/art/music.
Jun 6th, 2009, 07:12 PM

I agree with djrem, with only 4 days you should stick to the north island. Maybe hit Taupo and Rotuora for 3 days and then Waiheke island for 1.
Jun 7th, 2009, 03:07 PM

Wellington sounds like it fits your interests, then. Te Papa is a great museum, and you'll find good shopping and food there.

Lee Ann
Jun 11th, 2009, 01:10 PM

Don't write Auckland off completely. You could spend the first day in Auckland checking out the War Memorial Museum in the Auckland Domain, head over to Devonport on a ferry from downtown Auckland for lunch or dinner.

Wellington is probably your best bet for your interests as opposed to Christchurch.

If you're flying and aren't overly restricted by budget, I would recommend a night in Rotorua with a chance to have a look at one of the geothermal parks - but if that's not your thing then no biggie if you miss it
Jun 16th, 2009, 06:30 PM

between christchurch and wellington, per your question, you would be happier in wellington. te papa alone would be worth two days. you'll be cold wherever you go.

kerikeri
Jun 17th, 2009, 08:53 AM

I don't think you'll like Rotorua as a town, although there is a lot of Maori culture and art. With a short time I would stick to the North Island, Wellington is good fit for you.
Jun 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM

Stick to the North Island
Day 1 Auckland Museum or get a Potiki guided tour - they are great and then catch the ferry to Devonport for dinner.
Day 2 Fly to Wellington for the day - early flight down - do Te Papa and the City Gallery, then go out to Makara on the wild coast then climb up one of the city side mountains. Have dinner at Logan Brown.
Day 3 Head out to either Waiheke for the day - go on a tour - then go to a winery or three.
Day 4. Hang out in Auckland - maybe go to Otara if it is a Saturday. If you are wandering around the inner cbd go to Culture Cafe for a coffee!