Reload this Page >

North or South Island + Australia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 06:20 AM
Tanya

We are beginning to plan a two week trip to Australia/New Zealand - obviously this is not enough time, but it is all we have!<BR><BR>Is we had to chose only one Island in NZ, which would it be and why? We are people who like to observe nature, but are not big campers and only casual hikers! We love water sports and historical and off-the-beaten path sites.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>T

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 11:41 AM
LizF

You didn't say when you would be coming: <BR>Anyway the South Island of NZ would be my choice - glaciers, fiords, lovely little towns and interesting countryside. You can have a ton of fun in Queenstown white water rafting etc and just taking in the sites there,<BR>Then you have a better contrast when coming to Australia where I would head to the Barrier Reef - either the Whitsunday Islands or Cairns and Port Douglas

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 08:41 PM
alan

Tanya, LizF is right (she usually is) about the South Island being the best of New Zealand, especially if you can get out to Milford Sound, which will make you think you're in Norway. However, the road there is often closed in mid-winter (maybe other times of year too) so the time of year you are travelling is a very important factor if you are going to receive the best advice. If you're really tight for time, the North Island, while not as attractive in any way, will at least give you a quick taste of NZ, as you can fly into Auckland and be out at Rotorua, where there are hot springs and a Maori village, in a few hours. The prettiest town in New Zealand, however, is on the South Island, and it's Christchurch. It's like being in England, and has a leisurely pace which will be a good contrast to what you'll find when you get to Australia, especially if you plan to "do" Sydney and the Barrier Reef!

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 05:38 AM
Tanya

Thanks for the info! We are still debating but were thinking about Sept or Oct 2002 - late Spring right? Is this a good time? While we want good weather, we also don't want to be in the peak travel season or school holiday time.<BR><BR>T

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 03:07 PM
LizF

Sept - Oct in the South ( or North ) Island of NZ will still be cool to cold, depending on where you are. I don't know about school holidays over there but there are some school holidays in September in Australia but these tend not to be very busy. As far as weather goes for that time in OZ - the Barrier Reef area will be beautiful, Sydney should be mild either way and being spring the Blue Mountains west of Sydney should be in full bloom. Great time to be here

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 05:14 AM
tanya

How cold is too cold in NZ? Besides cold is it likely to be cloudy and rainy as well? We are flexible, when would you recommend going to NZ?<BR><BR>T

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 11:57 AM
LizF

New Zealand is not know as "the land of the long white cloud" for nothing but seriously though it would be hard to tell what time of year is best or where would be best. If you like skiing then there would still be plenty of snow around for you. I was in the south island in early December one year and it snowed on the mountains then and was very cold - in Dunedin it was 2 deg celcius Dec. 6th and blowing a gale off Antarctica - least it felt that way. Another time I was in Christchurch and on arrival it was 32 Celcius and the next day 7 deg celcius. So I guess the only right time is either in the middle of summer if you don't like cold or the middle of winter if you do like the cold. Weather in Melbourne in Australia is the same - you can have 4 seasons in any one day!

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 10:47 PM
sonia

Firstly...definitely go for the South Island - No Question!<BR><BR>I have been to NZ in Summer the last few times and next September I am going back for part of my honeymoon simply because at that time of year the mountains will be magical but hopfully it wont be freezing cold.<BR><BR>Like Liz, I have been to NZ in December. In one week we went from getting sunburnt to wearing thermal underwear and sheltering from a storm!!!<BR><BR>I would go there with the knowledge that you will have some cruddy weather - but comfort yourself that there is nothing more spectacular than mountains, lakes, gorges, fjords in the rain/snow!<BR><BR>I would also like to recommend that you visit Wanaka and Hawea which in my opinion are the most beautiful lakes in NZ.<BR><BR>We will be there from mid-september, so if you want to keep in touch you can email me and I will let you know any info I find out! Email [email protected]