Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO CAR IN TAS or NZ...

cradle mountain by bus?
binalong bay hitchhiking?
launceston/tamar valley biking?
i found out at east i can go from hobart to taranna by boat.any other suggestions? thanks janine

Old Feb 20th, 2008, 11:15 AM

What are your exact plans?
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 12:23 PM

I don't understand your question
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 03:04 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Janine -

Like NZ, Tasmania is best seen by car. This site lists some public transportation options and tours though:
http://www.discovertasmania.com/travel_information
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

thanks again mel ... well tropo and lizzy, i'm traveling alone, so i don't feel much like experimenting driving on my left aussie style for the first time, in roads i've never driven, without a "copilot" to help with the map, or directions... etc. besides and i'm on a tight currency exchange control leash lt; so the price of gas yonder those shores weighs heavily on me since i fill my toyota corolla here with 2$USD full tank ( yes...two US dollars), i know it's absurd. bottled spring water is more expensive...
from what i read on all the reports, i'm feeling of course that tasmania and NZ in general, are best seen by car...logically.
my plans are: 3 nights in melbourne walking around, or ride on trams( exotic for me) + spend 2 days in hobart pottering around, then leave for a four day walk in freycinet/coles bay with a group, so no hay problema, since i have transport taken care of. then back in hobart for one night, next morning take a boat out to taranna, and spend 2 nights there for yummy breakfasts, day walks, and R&R.

hobart -wellington for 2 days... walk around etc.
ferry to picton for 4 days tramping on QCT + afterwards
i'd like to visit for a day, one of the wineries in blenheim or nelson, so i'll take a bus. stay around nelson for 4 days to walk abel tasman by day, then a bus again to the picton ferry to wellington and fly to sydney. so, as you can see i'm limiting myself to visit the east coast in tassie, and north of the south island mostly because it's beautiful but... after reading all the wonderful stopping around for raspberry ice cream, winery X, cradle mountain, mrs. so and so's strawberry jam. etc etc. i'm wondering : { jjj
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 09:14 PM

Where is Taranna - that you go by boat from Hobart to?
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM

I found Taranna but I doubt you can get there by boat ( unless it is your own - has someone said that you can get Public Transport by boat to there?
I think you need to do some good research on the transport - or lack of it - system as Tasmania is a very small place and has little in the way of transport. There are tours though.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

hi lizzy and mel.. yes, there is a boat tour from hobart's harbour to port arthur, and then the people from norfolk's B&B would fetch me there... the only thing i don't like, is precisely visiting port arthur site, it's sad. i live constantly bathed in a very harsh reality in my country at present, so when i travel i like to visit places that make me feel good and have no dark memories from the past per se. enjoying the different sights, sounds, tastes... looking fwd to enjoy life in countries with excellent standards of living in the here and now. before returning to mine... but i'll look up the discover tasmania site which mel sent. it can give me more ideas to do something different without feeling tied down.... ;> jj
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 12:05 PM

Yes it does depend when you are coming to Tasmania as to whether the boat is running but it is quite expensive to do it that way as it really is not far from Hobart - about 1.5 hours drive. Having said that it is the nicest way to get to Port Arthur and I think you come back by coach in any case. Port Arthur is lovely even though its past may not be.
I gather then you are coming in our summer months 'cause I know that the boat does not run all year round
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

no lizzy, i'm going in april only 6 weeks from now, which is... autumn? anyway i think i'll go by bus,because it would cost me $149 one way .
i'll be staying at the convict station which is very nice and i'm only 10kms from port arthur, so if you think it would be worthwhile i'll give it a go as a day walk from taranna...how's that. never say never...
what do think between a studio loft @ the henry jones, or a one bedroom at the old woolstore? ($40 cheaper)i'm not asking specifically about the price because the ows is obviously cheaper, but is the price difference quality/experiencewise worth it? i've read so much about how unique is the hj that i'm wondering ż? thankx for all the inputs... jj
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 09:19 PM

I have stayed at the Woolstore and it was great value for money but I have not stayed at The Henry Jones so I cannot comment on that. Are you looking on www.wotif.com.au because I would have thought that the Woolstore would be a lot cheaper.
I would also rethink staying 10 Klms from Port Arthur because there probably is not anywhere within walking distance for a meal. There is accommodation right at Port Arthur and the Mussle Boys is really recommended for sea food. I will leave it for people who have been recently to Port Arthur to comment on accommodation BUT you also run the risk that you cannot be picked up from out of the village as well - check that the bus picks up and delivers to other areas before you book.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

hi lizzie: the woolstore has a winter special 1BDroom for 3 nights @144
whereas in henry jones i got a artist loft studio @185...
that's why i'm thinking it over cause i know from what i'ver read the hj is beautiful and interesting and for $40 a night maybe it's worth it. i'll check wotif.com and the bus the B&B sent me... anyway i can still change my plans.that's the good pat of asking questions...thanks jj
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:05 PM

You are posting so many different questions that your expectations are reading like a jigsaw puzzle. I think you are totally unrealistic in what you are foreseeing. Nelson is quite a long way from Abel Tasman National Park, have you checked mileages for instance? Sounds to me like you would be better off doing a Contiki type of tour with others for company. It is not safe to hitch hike anywhere these days, you are already inviting trouble.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Lacici ... Don't Hitch!
If you have to ditch a destination - so be it ... just don't hitch, please!
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:49 AM

Echoing Bokhara - please don't hitch! Especially if you are on your own. Either in Australia or New Zealand, am afraid the days of hitching in relative safety are well and truly over.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

thanks pat,lizzy, bokhara and kathy...ok, no worries, i WON'T hitchhike promise. i will write to my taranna hosts and ask them about the walking distance lunch/dinner possibilities nearby.

dear kathynz: i really appreciate anything you or any other of the fodorites can clear up for me, i stay reading all the many interesting questions, answers etc up till late in planning for my trip, and any suggestions like pat's 'mussel boys' and bokhara's and mel's many helpful tips, or warnings. but...

a)what is a contiki type tour? i am very happy traveling by myself, i don't need to be around people at all, i just mentioned i'm feeling a bit limited in what i could accomplish by not having a car to drive around nz or tas which is-- as i surmise from reading the posts-- to be the ideal situation. but, i'm checking the bus lines

b) but of course my questions read like a jigsaw puzzle... this 5 week long trip has many different scenarios(cities+ nature+ relaxing+tramping with somewhat complicated logistics)so my Q are precisely the reflection of my ignorance.. if i had gone before, or knew your customs, or knew exactly what to see, visit or do i wouldn't ask them in the first place...

c) i live in kms. and yes, i've seen the maps, but as i won't have a car i assume that being nearby i could get to the park somehow, even by water taxi, though i'm not going to nelson only to visit abel tasman park... it's one of my plans, but as i won't know how tired i will be after tramping the whole 71kms of QCT,ideally i would love to inmerse myself in a thermal pool at hanmer springs but, i know it's way too far out of my way, so iŽll enjoy myself exploring the cafés, wineries, town itself,and/or just enjoying the scenery, relaxing and reading. worst case scenario? i'll rent the car and try my best to stay focused on your side of the road at all times.

d) i'm a libra so, i read,google, ask, explore all the possibilities, read what you all have to say and then decide.just like buying the ideal pair of jeans ;> thanks jj
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 05:30 PM

I recently met an English tourist who is going to travel around NZ with Magic Bus, a hop on hop off type bus company. Try this site for info, it may help you get around NZ more easily.
www.magicbus.co.nz
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

thank you mariebut , sounds just like what i'm looking for...
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

mariebut... it's exactly what i was looking for yayayayayayyy! i just wish they had the same in tasmania. i'll check out just in case. many many thanks... jj