New Zealand/South Island

Aug 24th, 1997, 09:21 AM
Peter Besserer

New Zealand/South Island

In February 1998 I will be visiting New Zealand. My plan is to take a flight from Auckland either to Invercargill or to Queenstown. Any suggestions ?
With a rented car I want to see places like Te Anau, Fox Glacier, Mount Cook, Milford Sound (just a day-trip) and other interesting places and activities. Can anybody give me good advices for my routing and which activities I should not miss? At the end of the drive I have to reach Christchurch to take a flight back to Sydney.

Aug 27th, 1997, 01:25 AM
Alison Taylor

You will find it cheaper to fly to Invercargill than Queenstown and if you make your first destination Milford Sound it is about the same distance. I would suggest you fly to Invercargill and aim to drive to Te Anau (en route to Milford) that day about 3 hours drive.

I advise that you take a mini bus tour rather than drive to Milford the next day, the road is difficult, you want to be able to study the view and there are lots of drivers out there worse than you.. Recent comment suggests that the underwater viewing platform is worth going down on in the Sound.

You could aim to get to Queenstown from Te Anau that night if time is short. Plan to spend a couple of days in Queenstown. Bungy jump, parapent, jet boat, raft, hang loose in the cafes for a couple of days. If you have a car go over the Crown Range to Wanka and stop at the Cadrona Pub and visit the Rippon vineyard at Wanka (great site, vines down to the lake, island in the lake moutains beyond and sound wine too). Come back to Christchurch over the Lindis Pass if you like Alpine scenery calling in at Mount Cook (take a ski plane to the Tasman glacier if you can afford it). Then come back to Christchurch hugging the foothills as much as possible rather than up the boring plains.

If you have a little more time and like forests drive from Wanaka over to the West Coast via the Haast Pass, and up past the glaciers (take a ski plane to the Tasman glacier if you can afford it) coming back to Christchurch over the Authurs Pass. If you have a day or two up your sleeve when you get to Christchurch go out to Akaroa on Banks Peninsula and visit the French Farm Vineyard for Lunch. Or go to Kaikoru and whale watch.

If you can fit it in, plan to walk the Routeburn Track. You would need to book the huts but a travel agent should be able to do that for you, NZ Department of Conservation is responsible for bookings. You need to carry sleeping bag and food but you get off the bus on the way back from Milford and three days and 39km walking later you are at the top of Lake Wakatipu a couple of hours drive from Queenstown. that is what the South Island of NZ is about!

If you want to email with further questions feel free.

Sep 9th, 1997, 05:23 PM
Andy Bordelon

Florida couple in early retirement would like to casually tour the land of OZ and New Zealand over a 30 day period in October, 1998. We would like to find a Point of Contact to coordinate self-directed travel and tours. We prefer the "low-key" travel approach rather than the crowded pre-programed packaged tours. Any suggestions or contacts would be very nice.

Andy & Louise

Sep 24th, 1997, 07:39 PM
Dennis Bassarab

My wife and I spent our honeymoon travelling both islands. We stayed in B & B's, and I have to say the experience was incredible for both of us!!! I got on this web page looking for a B&B netaddress,not having much luck, and saw your question.Please respond with with specfics if you like and I'll reply when I'm not so tired....
We were just there in Mar.'97.....

Oct 15th, 1997, 07:47 PM
Pat Tolar

I really enjoyed your info on sites to see, Alison. We will be spending 5 days in February 1998 driving from Auckland to Christchurch. Do you know of any economical car rentals that you would recommend? Thanks.

Nov 17th, 1997, 11:53 PM
Christie

Found your inquiry in the Departure Lounge about your forthcoming visit to NZ.
We can help you with accommodation in Queenstown on the South Island. We can also give you suggestions for activities in the Queenstown area that you might be interested in, or point you in the right direction for the best deals.
Check out our web page and let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Christie

Nov 17th, 1997, 11:57 PM
Christie

Found your inquiry in the Departure Lounge about your forthcoming visit to NZ.
We can help you with accommodation in Queenstown on the South Island. We can also give you suggestions for activities in the Queenstown area that you might be interested in, or point you in the right direction for the best deals.
Check out our web page and let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Christie

Nov 18th, 1997, 03:35 PM
Peter Besserer

Thank you for your message. Please give me more details about Queenstown and surrounding, especially your website. I am interested in rafting, outdoor activities, special events and accomodation in February 1998.

Nov 24th, 1997, 07:47 PM
Pug Brown

Am looking for information on camper rentals for visiting both Australia and New Zeland (N&S islands). Would also be interested in the "musts" and "would be nice" places to visit. Trip would probably be three to four weeks in duration and happen in late fall '97 or early '98. Thanks for any help.