Search

New Zealand Itinerary - April / May 2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Zealand Itinerary - April / May 2011

Hi All,

I think we've got our trip to NZ settled for the end of April / early May.

Any comments on the following? Anything not to miss on the way? Anything we should rethink while we can still cancel for refund?

- Fly in and out of Auckland
- Auckland (2 nights, 1 day, 1 day waiheke island)
- Dinner reservations at Clooney's, any comments?
- Drive south to Waitomo Caves - black water rafting worth it?
- Drive to Tongariro - do the alpine crossing (any tips?)
- Drive to Hawke's Bay & do some wine touring
- Dinner reservations at Terroir Restaurant at Craggy Range, any comments?
- Fly from Napier to Queenstown, drive to Milford Sound
- Milford Sound Kayak tour
- Drive to Te Anau - stay at fiordland lodge, any comments?
- Any recommended 1 day tramps in the area? (Earland Falls? or Key Summit?)
- Drive to Otago & do some wine tasting
- Drive to Wanaka, any comments on Cardrona Adventure Park?
- Any recommended restaurants in Wanaka?
- Rob Roy glacier tramp
- Queenstown, 1 day (is the canyon swing worth it / terrifying?)
- Fly to Auckland and home

anything we're missing?

what about clothes? we're planning on light thermal clothes for our hikes & kayak trip, will that suffice (ie: thermal long underwear, fleece top, light waterproof jacket / pants, light fleece toque / gloves)?

do we need chains for the car for our time in fiordland?

loads of questions i know... can't wait for our trip!

thanks in advance - j.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 05:56 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Your clothing choices are right on. Think layering and waterproof and you'll be fine. I really doubt you'll need snow chains.

I highly recommend the Routeburn Track to Key Summit (and beyond). If you plan well, this can be combined with the Milford Cruise...are you staying the previous night in Milford?

The Kepler Track is another option - easy access from Te Anau with several walking options.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec.../kepler-track/

You can walk a portion of the Milford Track as a day hike too, but if I recall correctly, the boat to the start of the track only runs until April 22.

Where in Otago?
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 06:42 PM

You are heading into cold weather so be sure you are familiar with the metservice's mountain forecasts, especially if you are considering hikes such as the Tongariro. There is also a link on the DOC website for track conditions. Note there would be snow already forecast today for the crossing.

http://www.metservice.com/mountain/index

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec...s-autumn-2011/
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 12:05 PM

Do check the weather forecast before you attempt the Tongariro Crossing. We were going to do it a few years ago, but it was drizzing and cloudy, and we realized we wouldn't see much of what we wanted to experience.

Black water rafting is definitely worth the time. We did the Black Labyrinth tour, and it was one of the highlights of our trip.

Lee Ann
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 10:39 PM

The restaurant at Craggy Range is lovely. Nice setting and good food (and wine, of course). We went there for lunch and it was nice to see the scenery out the window, which you might not see if you go at night. Plus, the winery tasting room is open during the day. In other words, if you went for lunch, you could taste the wines beforehand and then have lunch,or. alternately, have lunch and then taste the wines.

While you are in Napier, don't miss the drive to Te Mata Peak. You will be rewarded with spectacular views. Be forewarned, though, the road is narrow and winding.
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 08:11 PM

Canyon Swing was definately a highlight of my trip (I made my first NZ trip in December 2010). It's scary, but worth it. Beware that the "pindrop" style of jump is what they recommend for amateurs, and it is by far the scariest jump! I went in early December and was lucky to find an open reservation; the guy said most people reserve weeks or months in advance (may be different in winter months). One day in Queenstown is way too short though, I did 4. I did the Eco zip line tour, which was very cool. Did the bodyboarding down the Shotover river, thought I was going to drown. Paragliding off of Coronet peak was great too. For fast and good food, I recommend the food court in the mall in central Queenstown. They have a variety of food; I ate Thai, Turkish, and Napalese food, loaded with spices. I think my next trip will be devoted entirely to the South Island. I had 11 days total and did a combined North and South Island tour. Just like everyone says, it was too much to do both islands on the same trip. I spent two nights on Stewart Island--LOVED it. Stayed in the Bay Motel. Hiked the nature trails all day, visited secluded beaches. The scenery was incomparable. Ahhh! NZ is in my blood now, I'm planning to return in December of this year. And a special Thank You to Melnq8 and mlgb for inspiring me to change my trip plans from Austrailia to NZ, just from reading their postings on Fodors. Oh, and be sure to fly air NZ (everyone told me this)! Best attendents, free wine, 250 movie video library...a small town TX boy isn't used to so much luxury.
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 09:23 PM

Good on ya aggie - glad to hear you had a good trip.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 08:16 AM

Sounds like you had fun aggie..I still haven't been over to Stewart Island!
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

wow - thanks for the great responses.

really appreciate it!

can't wait for our trip....
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 09:36 PM

Dear experienced SI ppl, I need help! We are flying in and out of Christchurch and the dates are set. First time in NZ! Would you tell me if the following itinerary is feasible and any suggestions are appreciated. We are renting a car and will be driving everywhere:
2. May. 2011 Arrive at Christchurch at 12:20pm, drive to Oamaru,
3. May. 2011 Oamaru to Dunedin
4. May. 2011 Dunedin to Te Anau
5. May. 2011 Te Anau to Milford Sound
6. May. 2011 Milford Sound
7. May. 2011 Milford Sound to Queenstown
8. May. 2011 Queenstown
9. May. 2011 Queenstown to Mt Cook
10. May. 2011 Mt Cook to Wanaka
11. May. 2011 Wanaka to Franz Josef
12. May. 2011 Franz Josef to Greymouth
13. May. 2011 Greymouth to Christchurch
14. May. 2011 Fly out of Christchurch 6pm
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Hi lilyb7788 -

You might get a better response if you start your own thread.

Having said that, this is a driving itinerary - you'll be driving just about every day, which won't leave you much time to DO anything once you arrive at each destination. Routing wise, your itinerary looks okay until May 10, then it goes a bit wonky. I suggest you choose between the inland route (Mt Cook) or the West Coast route (glaciers) on your return to Christchurch - these two routes are separated by a mountain range. Alternatively, you can go down the West Coast from Christchurch via Arthur's Pass upon arrival and then return via the inland route, making a loop.

You'll drive right past Wanaka on the drive from QT to Mt Cook...you'll be backtracking if you go to Mt Cook first and then to Wanaka, is this your intention?

Suggest you look at driving times/distances here:

http://www.aatravel.co.nz/main/td-calculator.php