New Zealand Honeymoon HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Wife and I just got married and are looking for some help with planning out Honeymoon in New Zealand. We look to be traveling there for January 2011.

We have approximately 10-12 days to spend in New Zealand and need to know what would be the best way to spend that time in our travels?
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 07:41 AM

newzealand.com has some good itineraries.

You should provide more information on your interests if you want someone here on fodors to plan your trip for you
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 10:50 AM

Congratulations on your marriage!

I agree, more information is needed.

But, if you have 10-12 days to spend in NZ, I'd recommend 1/3 of the time on the North Island and 2/3 of the time on the South Island.

Old Oct 16th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

I agree...

We are on a bit of a budget.

So we are looking to visit a variety of things like vineyards, national parks, looking to get some interaction with the wildlife, some scenic areas of the island also.

I recently found that there are few rail tours that can be taken which would be attractive...any suggestions.
would like to do some sea kayaking and if possible wouldn't mind finding any shows or experiences with the true local Kiwi people.
Possibly fly into the north island, rent a car, and then head down to the south island and tour around with our trip ending in Christchurch before flying home.
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 03:26 PM

The TranzAlpine Train across the Southern Alps has been voted one of the top train journeys in the world, and is renowned as New Zealand's 'Great Rail Adventure'. The Taieri Gorge Railway trip is quite interesting too and it departs from and returns to Dunedin.

Regarding shows or experiences with "true local kiwi people", there are some in Rotorua. At the Heritage Hotel Rotorua, for example, you can participate in a Hangi (feast) and Maori cultural performance of traditional dances accompanied by song. It is strictly a tourist show, but as a first-time visitor to New Zealand, I rather enjoyed it.

Regarding vineyards, it doesn't get any better than the area south of Blenheim (on the South Island). Check out the Marlborough region for fantastic sauvignon blancs.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 05:58 PM

If you want to go to Rotorua, I think you would enjoy a hangi and concert at Te Puia, the NZ Maori Arts and Crafts Institute. Yes, it's a bit touristy, but not as much as one in a hotel. When we went, they lit up the geyser and geothermal area for us after the hangi. It was lovely.

However, unless you can extend your vacation time, I don't know that I would spend much if any time on the North Island. We only had 10 days in 2004 and spent it all on the NI due to budget and time constraints. But most of what you want to see is on the South Island.

Lee Ann
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Could anyone help me with what # of days you suggest we stay for in New Zealand? WE max out at approx 20 days but we are limited based on budget.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 09:41 AM

I think the 10-12 days you mentioned in your first post is ideal.

Old Oct 19th, 2010, 10:30 AM

If you can stay 20 then go for as many as you can! With 20 you can visit both islands. When you get there you will be glad that you did.

With a budget you can still make do if you don't mind staying in less posh places. Also, a bonus in NZ is that entry into the National Parks is free.

Transport: Do some advance planning and grab some "smart saver" sale airfares on Air NZ (hint right now!) You should be able, eg, to fly Auckland to Wellington for $49 pp. Check the Avis and Apex car rental sites for one way relocation specials. Sign up for email specials from Millenium Hotels (www.milleniumhotels.com)

Lodgings: Even the least expensive lodgings have a good standard of hygiene (less a few places, so I recommend a final check on TripAdvisor "percent recommend"). I make use of bbh.co.nz (independent hostels, many have private rooms) which has a rating system. Also the B&Bs although getting more expensive still crop up with a good deal now and then. www.bnb.co.nz is a website that I've used with success. For hotels, use wotif and signup with milleniumhotels.com (they do email specials). Motels are like small apartments, I use an AA autoclub guidebook (pickup at the airport).

As far as winetasting, there are other areas more convenient, just as interesting and less internationally famous than Blenheim. I went to Martinborough on my last visit (pinot noirs and lots of aromatics), and also like Waipara (which still has few family run boutiques).

There's quite a controversy over escalating grocery prices in NZ. So eating is probably the worst value, but if you stick to local and seasonal it's better. Often a B&B will offer dinner which may be a good value. Take advantage of farmer's markets and especially farmstands if you're in the right place at the right time. If you don't mind cooking a few meals at motels or hostels it helps a bit. Sammies, pizza and fish and chips are typical lower-cost meals.
http://www.organicexplorer.co.nz/Eve...w+Zealand.html
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 06:23 PM

Everything mlgb said! If you can spend 20 days in New Zealand, go for it.

Lee Ann