New Zealand Adventure Photos

Jul 27th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

New Zealand Adventure Photos

Hello, I was fortunate to be able to visit the beautiful country of New Zealand last year and have created a website featuring my photos of hiking, biking and kayaking mostly on the South Island, but some on the Coromandel Peninsula too. If any fellow travelers would like to browse through them, you are very welcome to. Its at:
http://www.photostuff.org
You may reply here or email with comments if you like. Have fun everyone. My next trip is the Galapagos Islands! --Terry
Jul 29th, 2006, 05:05 AM

Loved your photos of New Zealand, my favourite country. They bring back memories of my trip six years ago. Next time will visit Coromandel Peninsula. Was your trip a self-drive? If so, how easy or difficult it was?

Thanks for sharing
Jul 29th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much. My 2 week South Island trip was with Active New Zealand which is based in Queenstown, NZ. I was with a group of 10 people from all over America and Canada. The specific tour was called 'Rimu' and was very active. We hiked, biked and/or kayaked every day for 2 weeks. It was wonderful, but after the 2 week South Island tour was over I flew up to the North Island on my own and drove with a friend I met there to the Coromandel Peninsula for a few days to just relax. Coromandel is a beautiful place with the clearest blue waters Ive ever seen and gorgeous coastlines. A trip to NZ can be as easy or hard in terms of activity as you like it. Personally I loved the activity but once in a while I just want to relax too of course. I didnt do any driving myself but driving around by youself wouldnt be difficult if you remember to stay on the left side and be careful driving around the mountain curves. NZ drivers are known to drive quite fast, too fast in my opinion on the twisting mountain roads where its impossible to see oncoming cars. Other than that, a self drive would be fine. If I go back someday (I hope) I will probably do a self drive. Have a great day!
--Terry http://www.photostuff.org
Jul 29th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Thanks Terry. Will check Active New Zealand website to see what they offer. For my second trip I would like a combination of self-drive and some biking, kayaking and walking. Will your please comment which you consider was the highglight(s)of your trip?
Jul 29th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Id say the hiking South West South Island and kayaking on Milford and Marlborough (especially Marlborough) Sounds. Also heli hiking was great. For some good self drive options combined with airfare, you may want to check Down Under Answers at http://duatravel.com/

--Terry http://www.photostuff.org
Jul 30th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Jed

Great pics. Is that site your own?
Jul 30th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jed, Yep its my own alright. I did a lot of online research in website creation, CSS, Javascript and so forth over the past year to produce it. Its evolved a lot over the past year as I learned more techniques in web design and photo gallery creation. I owe a lot to the online web design community from whom I learned and have placed many of my resources in the Credits page. I plan on adding more pages as I scan in my film photos of my photo safari of Africa and Israel. Next year Im going to the Galapagos and Amazon so that will mean more photo adventures The website is something I just do for fun and to share my travels with others. Have a great day. Thanks again.
Aug 25th, 2006, 01:24 AM

tknterry, thanks for posting your photos. Gorgeous! Looks like an exciting trip.

Now I am even more delightfully confused about where we should go in New Zealand for our 2-week 25th anniversary trip, which I am just starting to plan...it's coming up soon in February 2007!
Aug 25th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Melissa, February, 2007, that will be 2 years since my trip Its a great time to be in New Zealand, its their late Summer time. I spent most of my time on the South Island and it is the most mountainous area with the 'Southern Alps' and glaciers. I loved the kayaking on the Milford and especially on the Marlborough Sounds. The West Coast of the South Island along the Tasman Sea is wonderful. I would definitely go there again. Also on the North Island, the Coromandel Peninsula is so relaxing with the clear blue ocean along the coasts and little towns. There are many places I did not have time to go, for example Rotorua with its famous hot springs. Ive been to Yellowstone here in the USA though, so Ive seen lots of hot springs. With 2 weeks, you may want to spend most of your time on the South Island and then a few days on the North Island, like in the Coromandel for example. In May next year Im going to the Amazon and Galapagos for 2 weeks. Have a great time in NZ and thanks for stopping at my web page
Aug 25th, 2006, 12:26 PM

tknterry, do you have a trip report on-line for New Zealand?

You KNOW you had a great trip when you are still reliving the memories 2 years later!

I think we will need to spend all of our time on the south island, because we like to settle into a b&b or hotel for 3 nights and really enjoy each area. 2 nights minimum per stop is better for us. (Occasionally we need a 1-night stop near the airport.)

I'm making mental list of places that get people excited...the "southern Alps" and glaciers, Milford/Doubtful/Marlborough Sounds...ekk how will I choose between them...West coast along Tasman Sea you say...Any particular part of the west coast?

Now that 2 years has passed, you have some perspective... Can you make a "suggested" itinerary for me, for the south island, with 2- and 3- night stops? What do you think of this 8 or 9 night itinerary which is straight from the Fodors Guide New Zealand 2006:

Picton & Blenheim: 1 day
Kaikoura: 1 day
Christchurch: 1 or 2 days
Queenstown: 2 or 3 days
Fiordland National Park: 2 days
Other top options: 2 or 3 days

We will have 2 weeks.

That's not my itinerary, that is straight out of fodors guidebook. Your honest opinion of it would be welcome? What would you change?

This is actually our second trip to New Zealand, but the first was a whirl-wind trip over 20 years ago!

It is the scenic wonders which are drawing us back. We aren't city people, but I love small charming towns.

Since it's our 25th anniversary I don't want to go camping! I wanna be spoiled a little bit.

I am feeling rushed...my usual style is to take a year to plan a trip. But I just spent almost 2 years planning Ireland, which we did in July...gorgeous. So I have only about 1 month to cram in info about New Zealand so I can start booking in October for the February trip!

We didn't agree on our destination until yesterday...life distracts you and then you realize, wow it's going to be our 25th anniversary!

Wow, Galapagos and Amazon sound like very cool adventures! I hope I get to see your photos.

I have photos for Ireland, Costa Rica, and Italy, but I am only just learning what to do with them on-line...I'm way behind technologically. I keep forgetting how to bookmark and cut-and-paste!