Search

New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 10:08 AM
carol

New Zealand

Just wanted your guys opinion. Do you prefer the North or South Island and why. <BR>Thanks

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 01:45 PM
traveller

Loved the South Island (liked the North too but the South better). Very laid back, beautiful scenery, lovely motels for reasonable prices. I must admit though that the Coramundel on the North Island was well worth the time. <BR><BR>Now that I think about it, you just can't go wrong in NZ. The people are so nice and it is just a wonderful place to visit. I would go back in a minute.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 02:29 PM
John

carol:<BR>The South island is enchantingly beautiful.<BR>John

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:14 PM
tutu

Loved both. Hard to describe the stunning scenery on the west coast of the south island esp the drive from Te Anau into Milford Sound - so pristine & unspoilt, almost primeval in many ways. Enjoyed the city of Auckland - great coffee, restaurants & vistas. Specially enjoyed a visit to the Maori Museum. Wherever you go, the folks are downright friendly and helpful - I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:09 PM
ex

I lived on both islands and without a doubt the south is the better of the two. The north island is really just so so compared to much of the south and to what is available in other countries. The south is very different and unique and truely spectacular. Oh and by the way I was born and raised in Auckland so this is unbiased. That is not to say that I do not prefer the climate of the north though.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:25 AM
Mark

As someone who has travelled throughout both and lived in both I think they both have their own special attributes that make them differnet. If you want to experience the cafe culture and modern arty cultural side of the country then go north ... auckland thru wellington will get you all that. But as many others have suggested if you want scenery and all that "other world" experience then the south island is definitely the place to go to, with all its beautiful scenery and cities, personally I love Christchurch and all its charm, but why just settle on one island .. do em both. Ciao

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Mary Ann

Hi Carol<BR><BR>We really enjoyed the South Island because of the diversity. Most likely you would fly into Auckland to get a taste of the North. We flew from there to the South Island and did a driving tour.<BR><BR>You have wine country with the North tip of the south island at Blenheim, then there is the English influence of Christchurch. We loved the French fishing village of Akaroa and took the train through the Alps over to the West coast. Did the Helicopter ride in Franz Josef before driving through the mountain pass and rainforest over to Queenstown with its jet boating and shopping (we got rained out of Milford sound - the fiord experience). Headed then to Dunedin the scottish town. The diversity was tremendous, the views spectacular, and the farther south, the more stars at night. Have a terrific trip!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:37 AM
redmond david

hi. we just got back this wednesday from new zealand. we spent the weekend in auckland and this past monday, tuesday in christchurch. we'll go back again.<BR>the cafes in auckland are superb. they are open late. the bus transportation is reasonable.<BR>christchurch is a nice little place. lots of diversity. we took a side trip to watch dolphins....there is a lot of stuff to do, depending on your interests.<BR>have fun!

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 10:03 PM
kathy

Hi Carol, As a kiwi I can be biased but I won't be because to be honest with you, it's a bit like each State in the US, the north and south islands are completely different from each other in many ways. I have heard people say they like the south best and others say they liked the north so it's all a matter of personal preference. Come on over and take a look for yourself, we would love to welcome you here. You won't be disappointed.