new itinerary , what do you think?

Old Jan 11th, 2018, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new itinerary , what do you think?

Arrive Auckland , stay one night.
Drive to Rotorua, 2 nights, see caves, Geothermal,and Maori Cultural evening event ,Princes Gate Hotel???
Fly to Christchurch,, overnight, Rydges Latimer or Rendezvous hotels????
pick up alpine train to Fox Glacier, drive to after train arr. at Greymouth
Fox Glacier, two nights,Glacier Valley Hike, visit Lake Matheson, Distinction Te Weheka Boutique Hotel???
Drive to Queenstown, 2 nights, Jet tour, skyline gondola, We have choices: Copthorne, Queenstown House, Peppers Beacon, or Novotel Lakeside?????
drive to milford sound, overnight fjord cruise
back to queenstown, fly to Melbourne, no hotel yet here
Melbourne, 3 nights, evening penguin tour, free day to see city, free morning to see city
Drive 3 nights to Adelaide, with many stops along the way
over night in Port Fairy, Hotel Oscar???
overnight in Robe Ann's Place??
overnight in Victor Harbor The Bluff Hotel?
drive to Cape Jervis, ferry to Kangaroo Island, overnight, ( no hotel yet)
next day drive to Adelaide, fleurieu peninsula, along the way, 3 nights, Barossa Valley Day Tour, free day in city, Radison Playford Hotel or similar??
fly to Cairns, 4 nights, Reef Trip, with glass bottom boat, snorkeling, Kuranda Day tour, and a quiet Christmas Day exploring by car on our own,
hotel Choices????? -
Port Douglas : Peninsula Boutique Hotel; Not on beach but close. No kids allowed! Kitchenettes will come in handy for a 4 night stay.
Peppers Beach Club, Shantara Resort, or , The Sea Temple is very nice. It's a bit out of town but I suggest you get a car if you're going to stay in Port Douglas. Tours will pick up there and there is probably a shuttle to town.
Palm Cove: Just in case you fall in love with this place: Alamanda Palm Cove by Lancemore. It's on the sand. https://www.lancemore.com.au/alamanda
fly to Sydney, 5 nights, stay for new years eve? Still looking for a hotel

I know this is a lot, but we are fine with that. We enjoy moving around, just take less luggage!!!
My biggest question is: the hotel in Port Douglas? If we stay in that area, do we need to go into Cairns to eat dinner, or are there enough places to choose from in the area. We need to choose one. We'd like to stay around $300/night, but might splurge here if the hotel is well worth it, as we may spend time in it and use their pool, etc.
and, if you recognize any of the other hotels
Thank you!!!
Alison
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 07:43 AM

KI isn't a one-night stopover, you need a full day at minimum to be there.

Which $300? The US, Australia and New Zealand all use dollars and the $ symbol. The values are not equal.
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 03:43 AM

Alison Mary, is this correct?

Auckland
1 nt
Rotorua
2 nts
Christchurch
1 nt
Fox Glacier
2 nts
Queenstown (drive to Milford Sound for overnight cruise, drive back)
2 nts
Melbourne (with afternoon/night trip to Phillip Island
3 nts
Drive from Melbourne to Adelaide
3 nts
Drive to Cape Jervis, ferry to KI
1 nt
Drive to Adelaide
3 nts
Cairns
4 nts
Sydney
5 nts

If I haven't misunderstood, I count 27 nights. In your original post you mentioned 5 weeks, which would be 35 nights. The more the better.

Do you believe this will be your one and only trip to Australia and New Zealand? Because, as you said, it will be a lot. Five weeks sounds like plenty, but this is really two trips, a NZ trip and an Australian trip, and you'll be traveling long distances. So that's only two and half weeks each, not taking into account all the flight days. For instance, Queenstown to Melbourne, check in 90 minutes before your flight, direct flight is 3.5 hours, time to get to and from hotels to airport and the time needed to check in and get settled. Most of this first day for Melbourne will be eaten up by traveling from city to city.

However, your trip looks like fun and you'll certainly be seeing more than you would have on your original itinerary. It needs tweaking at the very least, but this is why you're asking at this early stage, right?

I'm glad you've omitted Uluru. Remember, too, it'll be cyclone season up north in the Cairns area. As I said before, doesn't mean cyclones will happen, but can happen because it's the season. Also, it's stinger season in Port Douglas. Just something to be aware of. You can still have a great time.

I'll comment on your NZ portion. I would cut Auckland (at least at the beginning of your trip), as you'll have to get into the city (or airport hotel), check in, stay for a night, to rent a car the next morning to drive to Rotorua. Not enough time for Auckland itself.

Also, flights from the U.S. (if that's where you're coming from) arrive generally around 6 a.m. or slightly earlier. After clearing customs and immigration & picking up your luggage, you'd have plenty of time to walk 10 minutes or catch the transfer bus to the domestic terminal and connect to a flight to Christchurch or Queenstown. If you were to continue into Auckland, you might not be able to check into your hotel until 2 p.m. (though it's possible you might be able to check in earlier). Imagine, after traveling for 12 hours or more, not being able to check in.

If you'd really like to see Rotorua at the beginning of your NZ trip, consider catching a connecting flight to Rotorua (45 minutes). Rotorua is a tourist town, so I think you can get around Rotorua without a car, certainly for your first day. Stay central (Princes Gate Hotel is central), where you can walk to the Rotorua museum, I-Site tourist info. office, shops and restaurants. Take the local bus, taxi, or tour with included hotel pick-up drop-off to Te Puia or wherever you plan to go that first day. https://www.rotorua-travel-secrets.c...d-rotorua.html
https://tepuia.com/
https://tepuia.com/faq/

When you say caves do you mean Waitomo Glow Worm Caves? Have a look at Great Sights tours:
https://www.greatsights.co.nz/new-ze...tions/rotorua/
You might notice there is a tour that would leave from Auckland and take you to Waitomo Caves, Te Puia and an agrodome tour:
https://www.greatsights.co.nz/new-ze...ckland-return/

Or cut both Auckland and Rotorua from your trip, which would give you a couple of more days on the South Island (as most of your NZ trip will be based on the South Island).
Or visit Auckland and Rotorua after the South Island. Because there are more direct daily flights from Auckland to Melbourne. Flight take a little longer, but are generally cheaper.

Auckland War Memorial Museum, Auckland Art Gallery, and its waterfront (Viaduct Harbour/Princes Wharf/Wynward Quarter/Queens Wharf) deserve a whole day. Consider having lunch or dinner in the ferry building. The Auckland Museum is outstanding with excellent Maori and Oceania Island collections. The museum is located in the Auckland Domain, a lovely 75-hectare park.

A second day would allow you tour one of the islands in Auckland's Hauraki Gulf. You could do a wine tour of pretty Waiheke Island (40 minute scenic ferry ride from downtown Auckland) or a volcanic tour of Rangitoto Island.
https://www.fullers.co.nz/experiences-tours/day-tours/
If you're interested in wildlife, especially birds, visit Tiritiri Matangi Island, though this is a 75-minute ferry ride away and sailings are subject to cancellation in rough conditions. Ferries only sail to TM Wednesday through Sunday.
https://www.fullers.co.nz/destinatio...atangi-island/
You wouldn't need a car for Auckland.

Last edited by Diamantina; Jan 12th, 2018 at 04:16 AM.
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 04:08 AM

Re: South Island. Consider connecting from Auckland to Queenstown after arrival. Catch a shuttle from the airport into central Queenstown. You wouldn't need a car for Queenstown the first couple of days.

Novotel has a central location, get a room with a lakeview. You'll be tired and jet lagged. Walk around the Botanical Garden (it has a lovely lakeside walk), take the Skyline Gondola, or take a cruise on Lake Wakitipu.
https://www.skyline.co.nz/en/queenstown/
https://www.realjourneys.co.nz/en/ex...mship-cruises/
Or just sit on your lakeview balcony, admiring the views while sipping on a glass of wine. There are many restaurants close by.

Two nights in Queenstown is not enough.

Most people who drive Milford Road to Milford Sound use Te Anau as a base. Given your already busy schedule. I'm reluctant to suggest you add Te Anau to your itinerary unless you days to the NZ portion of your trip. Te Anau is little more than a 2 hour drive from Queenstown. Te Anau to Milford Sound is about a two-hour drive without stops. But who doesn't stop on Milford Road, one of NZ's most scenic roads? So it takes much longer with scenic stops. See:
Milford Road/Milford Sound area: Fiordland National Park
http://www.doc.govt.nz/Documents/par...-factsheet.pdf
Notice the camera symbols on this map:
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/proj...to-milford.pdf
At minimum, you'll want to stop at Eglinton Flats, Mirror Lakes, right before Homer Tunnel, and the Chasm.
If you're doing the overnight cruise, you might want to make these stops on the morning post-cruise.

Otherwise, consider a coach tour from Queenstown to Milford Sound, with a scenic flight back to Queenstown after the overnight cruise. The coach tour makes scenic stops along Milford Road as well. On the Milford overnight cruise, don't fail to go up to the top deck to look at the night sky if the skies are clear. This being said, the weather in the south of the South Island can sometimes be rainy in November and December. Milford Sound is one of the rainiest places in NZ. According to NZ's National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA), one of the wettest places on earth!

Taking into account your first day, to explore central Queenstown on foot, and the overnight trip to Milford Sound, you would need more than two nights in Queenstown.
You'd want to drive or take a tour to Glenorchy, which is 45 minutes from Queenstown. The road runs along Lake Wakitipu and looks like this:

You'd want to visit Arrowtown and stop at Amisfield Winery along the way.
Home » Arrowtown
https://amisfield.co.nz/https://amisfield.co.nz/
Amisfield Bistro is also one of the top places for lunch or dinner in Queenstown, and in NZ.

You might want to drive to beautiful Gibbston Valley wine region, about a 25-minute drive away.
Home » Chard Farm
Wine with Altitude | Peregrine Wines
Brennan Wines - Central Otago Pinot Noir Gibbston Valley, Queenstown New Zealand
https://www.gibbstonvalley.com/

You don't have to return to the airport to pick up a rental car. Hertz, Avis, Budget, Apex, Omega, Thrifty have branches in central Queenstown within walking distance from the Novotel. I think the Novotel charges extra for parking.

From Queenstown (or Te Anau), drive to Wanaka and spend a night here if possible. It's on Lake Wanaka and surrounded by mountains and quite scenic, less busy than Queenstown but still has plenty of restaurants and shops. If you spend the night here, it'll make your drive to Fox Glacier shorter. This would be a good place to stay:
Lakeside Apartments - Poolside Apartments

It'd take a little more than 3 hours to drive from Wanaka to Fox Glacier village without stops. But you'd want to stop and get out as this is another wonderfully scenic drive. You'll drive along Lakes Hawea and Wanaka, through Mt. Aspiring National Park and through Haast Pass before emerging onto the West Coast. Along the West Coast, you'll want to stop at Knights Point Lookout and perhaps Bruce Bay.

If staying in Fox Glacier, you'll want to also do the Lake Matheson walk.
Lake Matheson / Te Ara Kairaumati Walk: Walking and tramping in Fox Glacier area, Westland Tai Poutini National Park
There's a glow worm walk at night. I've not done it myself. Take a flashlight to light your way.
Minnehaha Walk: Walking and tramping in Fox Glacier area, Westland Tai Poutini National Park

You'll drive through Franz Josef glacier village enroute to Greymouth (to catch the TranzAlpine). You might want to visit Hokitika Gorge enroute. It's a out of the way, but not bad. From Fox to Hokitika Gorge will take about 2 hours 35 minutes. The walk from the parking lot to the gorge is short.
Hokitika Gorge West Coast New Zealand
Hokitika Gorge Walk: Walking and tramping in Hokitika Gorge Scenic Reserve

It'll take you a little more than an hour to drive from Hokitika Gorge to Greymouth. If you had a day to spare, I would suggest spending a night in Punakaiki before catching the TranzAlpine train the next day. Punakaiki is a 40-minute drive north of Greymouth. This part of the coast is spectacular.
Punakaiki, West Coast, New Zealand : Official Tourism Website
Punakaiki Pancake Rocks and Blowholes: Places to go in Paparoa National Park, West Coast region
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 04:11 AM

Am having a devil of a time posting the second part of this message, regarding the South Island.
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 04:30 AM

Consider exchanging some of your hotel stays for motel or other self-contained accommodation (these units can be serviced apartments, cottages or B&Bs). On such a long trip, you might appreciate the extra space, cooking and laundry facilities, being in accommodation where you can feel more at home. For many such places, you can just drive up to your door, which makes for easy loading and unloading of your luggage, fewer steps to your car when you need to get going. Such places are usually smaller than hotels. Larger hotels cater to more more packaged tourists. You might have large groups checking in before you.

One place I've stayed in Queenstown, which is just as conveniently located as Novotel is The Waterfront. I've stayed in a top-floor studio apartment with views of Lake Wakitipu and Remarkables Mts. I don't think they charge extra for parking (I didn't have a car when i stayed there). Here's a link:
Studio, apartment accommodation Queenstown: The Waterfront
Reviews:
https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Hotel_...th_Island.html

Another place I've stayed several times in Pounamu Apartments. Parking was included. It was about a 20 minute walk from town but along a pretty lakeside track.
https://www.pounamuapartments.co.nz/
https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Hotel_...th_Island.html

There's no shortage of good, convenient accommodation with lake views in Queenstown. I'm sure others can suggest more. Read Trip Advisor accommodation reviews carefully before you book as some of the places can be noisy (traffic).

Apart from its Lake Matheson walk, I prefer Franz Josef to Fox. More restaurants.
It's got the West Coast Wildlife Centre.
West Coast Wildlife Centre
And the Glacier Hot Pools (which I didn't care for as it smelled of chlorine).
https://www.glacierhotpools.co.nz/
The last time we stayed there we did the Okarito Kiwi Tour (in nearby Okarito Forest):
Okarito Kiwi Tours South Island New Zealand
There's a White Heron Sanctuary Tours nearby (not done this myself).
White Heron Sanctury Tours
White heron/k?tuku: New Zealand native wetland and river birds: Conservation

I agree with Big Russ. One night is not enough for Kangaroo Island.
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 12:54 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Re Port Douglas there are so many places that you can eat down the main street it is a tourist town after all. W we stayed there four nights, and ate out every night. One place I recommend is the Tin Shed which sits out over the water, great views, and great prices.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help. I am looking into all of your suggestions.

Alison
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 01:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Alisonmary

Would you please remind me the dates of your proposed trip?

Melbourne: i think I asked whether you were taking a tour to Philip Island to see the penguin parade, or going to St Kilda/ Williamstown to see them. Your response to this is important because of the time required for the first.

it would also help ithose reading if you put some spacing into your posts. I understand you lose spacing when you cut & paste, but it doesn’t take much to go in & adjust.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice . You are so right about the spacing!

We will be traveling there inDecember 2018.
We are going to Phillip Island for an evening for an evening .
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 03:41 PM

Phillip Island, Victoria, Australia

Thanks Alisonmary

Phillip Island is a 2 hour drive from Melbourne and, beguiling though the penguins are, has a lot more than them to recommend it. Having been there a few times, I think it easily warrants a whole or at the very least half day. See rh link above.

I’d be interested in seeing your tour Itinerary, if you would like to share it.

Top tip: Take a coat. I’ve been to the penguin parade in December and it can be VERY cold when that southerly wind gets up in the evening. We were all rugged up in coats & blankets, with our hands wrapped around mugs of hot chocolate to keep warm!
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 02:16 AM

Plenty of fantastic restaurants and pubs in Port Douglas. Lots of self contained accommodation too if you like that occaisionally over hotels. Always hot in Port so always a good idea to be closer to the beach side of town.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 03:12 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Very good tips about the coats as well as extra time around Phillip Island. We're within easy driving distance and there is more to recommend it.

Something you don't see mentioned a lot on that day trip is the pelicans at San Remo. Not technically ON Phillip Island, but right at the bridge before you cross,. right by the water. Australian pelicans (world's largest pelican) fly in around mid day and the local fish shop feeds them at noon. We often spot sting rays gliding past as well.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 10:57 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Clifton - I had no idea Australia had the world's largest pelicans - I used to photograph them a lot when I lived there. Fascinating birds.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 10:26 PM

Mel, I didn't either. Just don't get a lot of chance to see them side by side, I guess. They're pretty amazing as they all come in for a landing.
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 12:15 AM

I’m a great fan of Phillip Island & think it’s really quite underrated, with most people just going for the penguins.
CC, I know that mob of pelicans near the bridge at San Remo. Like my locals, they like to help the fisherman out

Last edited by Bokhara2; Jan 23rd, 2018 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Attach photo
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 06:14 PM

I suspect they'd like to help the local fisherman out of a few more fish, Bokhara. Hungry buggers.
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 01:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Agree about the great restaurants in PD, also the terrific Mojo's in Mossman on the main street.

We stayed at By the Sea at the top of Four Mile Beach:

https://www.bytheseaportdouglas.com.au

It's very near the beach but walkable to the town. Our apartment had a full kitchen, bathroom and washer and dryer. There is also free parking in the underground garage so the car is never too hot to get into - a real consideration. Small pool, but you can't have everything.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 02:24 AM

Penguin parade - we go down to Phillip island regularly - my family is there now. I have been to the Penguins s in the middle of summer and got soaked . I would always book the undercover experience just in case . Nothing worse than coming back home in a bus soaked - you can't use umbrellas after the birds start coming in either .
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 01:03 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Speaking of pelicans, here's a photo I took in Denmark, Western Australia a few years back.

Following the fishermen, Denmark, Western Australia