Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

need underwater guide GBR? which tour compan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to know if anyone has paid the extra rate for an underwater guide and an opinion of its value. Also, does the board have any opinion as to a choice between the outer reef tour companies? We're staying in Port Douglas, if that makes a difference.
We do need a larger boat due to a chance of sea sickness. I was really sick a few years ago (caught me by complete surprise as it had not happened ever before) on a smaller boat
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 04:58 AM

You mean for scuba diving, stotz?
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

No, I meant for snorkling. We don't dive.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 04:25 PM

I asked about scuba diving because I often talk to certified divers who maybe haven't dived for a while and and feel more secure with a dive guide, hence the question. An extra charge of about $60-$70pp is usual. Many reef trips offer group guided snorkelling, often led by a marine biologist, but don't know of any who offer individual snorkelling guidance. Of course, crew members give snorkelling instruction and help out with anyone having difficulties.

From Port Douglas the largest vessel is Quicksilver's catamaran to its pontoon on Agincourt Reef, but be aware that sometimes it will carry around 400 people. Quicksilver also owns the smaller "Silversonic", "the only dive and snorkel vessel in Port Douglas with ride control, ensuring a super smooth journey". www.silverseries.com.au
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:39 PM

For those wanting to know more about the reef before you go try www.reefteach.com.au in Cairns. the show is on in the early evening.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the reminder, Saltaurius, I keep forgetting to mention Reef Teach in Cairns.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 11:39 PM

Stotz, when I went out to the GBR last December, I paid the extra (think if was $50/person) for a guided snorkel. I have never done so before as I am a confident snorkeller. As far as I was concerned (and my family) it was well worth the extra money. We saw a great deal more than was in the immediate vicinity of the pontoon. We were taken out in a small boat, dropped off and it probably took about an hour and half to very slowly snorkel back to the pontoon. The guide also pointed out quite a number of things that we would have snorkelled straight past without really taking note. I think the snorkel tour was only meant to go for an hour but everyone was enjoying themselves so they let us continue to snorkel all the way back to the pontoon, rather than pick us up in the boat again. They did give the option of being picked up by the boat but no-one took up the offer.

Incidentally the company we used was Reef Magic (but that leaves out of Cairns not Port Douglas) and we were very happy with them.