need to make decision when to go to australia by tomorrow

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a tentative flight to Australia which i need to confirm soon. I am going with my 75 year old mom to Australia next year. We are flexible in the dates to go from January to June 2006. We will be going to Sydney for 5 nights, Melbourne for 4 nights and Hobart for 2 nights. When is the best time to go to avoid endless days of rain? When it does rain in Sydney or Melbourne, does it rain non-stop, hard or light rain off and on???
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 02:56 AM

Hard to provide guarantees. Depending where you're coming from the January/February heat can be stifling - humid in Sydney, parching in Melbourne. Melbourne is famous for having four seasons in a day and is probably the most unreliable of the three. It rains in Sydney in summer and Melbourne/Hobart in winter. There are seldom "endless days of rain" anywhere except the tropics. The summer rain in Sydney is often heavy because it's a storm-related downpour although usually doesn't last long. Try autumn (March, early April) and you'll be blessed in all cities with good weather and in the south, great autumn colours.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:54 AM

Paul sez "...autumn (March, early April) and you'll be blessed in all cities with good weather and in the south, great autumn colours. "

He's right as far as I'm concerned, this was true for my last three trips.

Go real easy on your mom - rain is the least of your worries, it's the long flight and the timezone changes that'll be the challenge.

WK
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Autumn (March/April/May) is our best time IMO and the most reliable weather. Besides, you will then have the advantage of the beautiful atumn foliage, especially in Melbourne & Hobart. I would pick April, it will still be warm and Hobart can start to chill down quite a bit in May.

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

based on availability of hotels throught www.hotel.com.au, all the 4 stars hotels I want are fully booked or else doubled the price for April 2006. I am thinking of leaving los angeles on March 4th or 11th. Weather wise, would it be best to go to Melbourne lst then Hobart than Sydney or better to go to Sydney lst and then Hobart and Melbourne?
Melbourne-4 nights
Hobart-2nights
Sydney-5 nights
Still , the less rain as possible is a major factor in my decision.

Thanks for responding
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 02:28 PM

As far as Melbourne is concerned the Commonwealth Games are being held there from March 15 to 26 - which could have some bearing on hotel rates, availability etc.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all that replied. I finally decided on departing March 4th from los angeles and staying in Melbourne, then Hobart, and ending in Sydney for the last 5 nights. From mid-March and April, the hotel prices doubled or more or were unavailable. Only alternative was to leave in early March.