: ) AUSSIE SAMPLER 18th april- 18thmay

Mar 9th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

: ) AUSSIE SAMPLER 18th april- 18thmay

hi guys what do you think of my new aussie more relaxed itinerary?

arriving around 18th april for
10 days in tassie:hobart+overlander track+freycinet/coles bay

10 days in sydney 2nd week of may x sightseeing and a 4 day conference.

travel to adelaide by the indian pacific train, stay for 2 days.
then take the overlander train to melbourne & stay x 4 days.
-or fly? seems both trains could be more expeensive.
-what should i expect for weather for adelaide and melbourne in mid may?
- any cute boutique hotel or B&B's and tips besides the central market in adelaide? many thanks... janine
Mar 9th, 2008, 11:32 PM

Why not do adelaide and Melborne First, then Hobart and then Sydney?
(unless you really want to take taht train ride?)
Mar 10th, 2008, 01:53 AM

Sounds absolutely brilliant.

Except if you have done the train from Sydney to Adelaide then I would recommend travelling to Melbourne some other way. Fly, or go by road. The latter, of course, would cut into your time in Melbourne city.

A good long train trip is a wonderful thing to do if you have the time, but two might be one too many. Would I be right in thinking you have timing problems? Cos the trains don't run every day.

Which is of more interest? The journey to MLB from ADL or the Melbourne city experience?
Mar 10th, 2008, 02:51 AM

It will be late autumn in Adelaide in May. The weather should be cooling down and will probably be low 20s to high teens in the day (degrees Celsius). Adelaide doesn't get snow, so the weather won't get really cold.

Having said that, the weather has been a little odd this year. Summer was more mild than usual and we are now experiencing what could be a record heat wave, even though we are in autumn. We've had 8 days straight over 35 degrees C. Tomorrow is predicted to be 34C (below official heat wave levels), but the rest of the week is going to get hotter.
Mar 10th, 2008, 03:10 AM

That looks great Lavici! Have a terrific time.
Mar 10th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

well, the thing is that i have to wait for my aussie visa to be stamped almost a month as i have to send it down to chile- like sending it from perth to hobart!! unfortunately i don't belong to the privileged countries that get an electronic one by internet:( so having to arrive in sydney by the first week in may for a conference in sydney from the 7th -10th may inclusive is ruling, and i was putting tassie first because the tracks for multi day walks close down by the end of march-april the latest, and i assume it will get colder there first, than adelaide.
so, that is why i'm not doing this south east circle in the most logical way considering seasons... if i could i would do it tassie, melbourne, adelaide and finally sydney.
do you think 4 days in melbourne is ok? what about the 2 days for adelaide? many thanks... jj

Search this Thread