Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Need some basic Sydney help for planning impromptu trip...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gotten a chance to go to Syndey for a few days at the end of the month and have little time to plan this trip. I know nothing at all about Syndey and would appreciate some guidance about what part of town to stay in. Would like access to public transportation or the ability to walk to things. Easy access to coffee shops, restaurants etc. would be very helpful. Also need to keep this trip on the budget side as well.

If it were Paris I would head for the Marais (4th) or the 6th. New York I would go for Midtown and either close to the 6 line or the A trains. For San Francisco I would stay in one of the small boutique hotels in the Union Sq area or try for a decent rate around the Embarcadero. I would absolutely skip Fisherman's Wharf, Times Square (if I could help it) etc.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 01:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Mstraveler,

Sydney CBD & inner suburbs are well served by public transport and walking is as easy as it is in Manhattan.

It would help to know what your budget range is; "budget" might be $100 to one person & $500 to another. Unlike NYC, we have an excellent selection of self-serviced apartments, which may appeal as you have more space and can cut costs by having some meals at home. It's probably a good time to pick up a bargain as it's Winter, not school holidays or other peak time.

WOTIF will give you a guide to what is available. Prices are discounted & shown for the next 14-28 days. http://wotif.com.au

I often use the WOTIF prices as a guide and book directly with the hotel/apartment, who will generally give the same & sometimes slightly better rate, without the same cancellation terms.

As you would no doubt imagine, properties around Circular Quay with harbour views will be at the more expensive end of the scale. However, there are some smaller boutique style hotels in this area which may suit you.

The Lord Nelson: http://lordnelsonbrewery.com/accommodation.html

The Russell: http://www.therussell.com.au/

Larger, but a popular choice for travellers. The Old Sydney Inn: http://holidayinnoldsydney.street-directory.com.au/

Coffee shops: We have a big coffee culture here, with a great selection of Italian style coffee bars all over the city.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 01:38 PM

Bokhara2,
What do you know about the Bed & Breakfast Sydney Harbor in The Rocks area? It's been recommended to us for our March trip to Sydney.
Thanks
Sue
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 02:09 PM

Nothing at all, Sue - I'm a local, so don't often need to stay in the CBD. It's quite often referred to favourably by Fodorites, though.

It gets good reviews on Trip Advisor. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...uth_Wales.html

I'm going into the city on Wednesday; if I get a chance, I'll go & have a look at it for you.

There's a new YHA at the Rocks which is getting great reviews.
http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_...uth_Wales.html

If you're going to be here for a while, I'd suggest you have a look at some of the self-catering serviced apartments. As it's a relatively new idea (less than 10 yrs), the properties are modern, purpose built and often have fabulous views from high rise buildings.

These are not someone's city apartment which is being rented out while they're away.

There's no minimum stay and I generally use them when I'm interstate. More space, internet access, no housekeeper knocking on the door as you step into the shower And best of all when you're travelling - your own laundry & cooking facilities.

There are convenience stores on just about every corner and several supermarkets in the CBD, so it's an easy matter to pick up the basics for breakfast etc. Dishwashing liquid is supplied; sometimes also laundry detergent.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 04:11 PM

My sister and brother-in-law stayed at the Bed and Breakfast Sydney Harbour and recommended it to us. After our family stayed there, we recommended it to a family friend. The family friend recommended it to her co-worker. (You get the picture.) We found it to be a great place to stay in Sydney (and we've stayed a lot of different places there.) The location can't be beat, the rooms are great and the hosts are very accommodating.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Bokhara2. I am looking into those hotels and there is apparently a very nice hostel that gets rave reveiws. I am hoping to keep the hotel to US$125-140. (Does AU use the same $ sign?? I find myself confused a lot in the books about whose dollare we are talking about...)

Is there a pretty decent transportation system in the CBD and around? Again, Paris, New York, SF all have pretty easy ways to get around and am assuming Syndey has something comperable?
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 06:25 PM

Yes & Yes. In Australia, we're talking about ours.

(Although we have had posters asking if they can use USD here (LOL))

There's a conversion button on the wotif site. At the moment, we're running at about 90cents to USD, so figure dollar for dollar & you get a bit of change.

The CBD is relatively small and well serviced by buses & trains(subways. And taxis, of course. Ferries are an attractive option for visiting those suburbs around the foreshores and across the harbour.

You must make time for the (30 minute) ferry trip to Manly. http://www.sydney.visitorsbureau.com...ons/manly.html

The hostel would be the YHA Sydney Harbour. It is in a fantastic location and open less than a year.
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Have narrowed the search down to these hotels, which are all very good values and will meet my needs for this trip. Can anyone who knows the city venture an opinion about which would be closest to public transportation and restaurants/shops etc. I have learned over the years that the difference of being 5 minutes walk from a subway and 15 minutes is a big one and proximity to restaurants is a plus too!

Maisonette 31 Challis Avenue | Potts Point
DeVere 44-46 Macleay Street | Potts Point (safe area??)
Hotel 59 59 Bayswater Rd | Kings Cross
Mariner's Court 44 - 50 McElhone St
Victoria Court 122 Victoria St., Potts Point

Thanks to all.
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 10:13 AM

I also thank everyone on this site.
Sue
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 02:45 PM

They're all within 10 mins walk of Kings Cross Train Station, on a conservative estimate.

I would choose the property that looks the best to you. In my travelling experience, quality of accommodation is generally in inverse proportion to distance from railway stations/airports/bus terminals.

44 Macleay St - 500m .. 5 or 6 mins
31 Challis Av - 800m
59 Bayswater Av - 270m
122 Victoria Av - 400m
44 McElhone Av - 800m .. 8-10 mins

There are also bus stops along Macleay street.

The area you've chosen is in the midst a number of very good eateries - Macleay Street & Challis Avenue in particular.

To name just a few:
Yellow Bistro - 57 Macleay St
Sailors Thai - 71a Macleay St www.sailorsthai.com.au
Lotus - 22 Challis Av www.merivale.com
Macleay Street Bistro - 73a Macleay street
Mezzaluna 123 Victoria Street (fabulous views to the city) www.mezzaluna.com.au
Fratelli Paradiso - 12 Challis Av
Jimmy Liks - 188 Victoria Av www.jimmyliks.com
Arun Thai - 28 Macleay St www.arunthai.com.au
Zinc - Macleay street
.... as well as any number of small coffee shops etc.

This Google link might be useful for directions, distances etc.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&s...1&ie=UTF8&z=16
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 03:07 PM

Should have added - yes, perfectly safe. My cousin has lived in Macleay street for 20+ years & never had a problem. We eat somewhere within walking distance about once a week - generally getting back to his place around 11 & I then walk to where ever I've parked my car.

The Bayswater Road property is closest to the club/bar strip, where there is the occasional problem very late/earl mornings.

There are also supermarkets at the William Street end and near Challis Avenue on Macleay street.
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you SO much Bokhara2. Extremely helpful. I think either Victoria Court or Hotel 59 (only $88 AU) would be good picks for budget places and I have traveled all over the world so am not put off by the area not being ritzy. It is such a quick trip I just didn't want to spend all of my time in transit.

That said, I just found the InterContinental for $193 which is a pretty great deal (not much more than the Russell and less than the Simmons although perhaps with less personality...)
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 06:55 PM

Intercontinental is a much better location! Right in the city.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 09:58 PM

Just to further assure you, I lived in the Cross for years also. While it is the Red Light area of Sydney, it's certainly not only that and it's very safe because there are always people on the street. It's a vibrant area with galleries and cafes and an excellent second hand bookshops tucked away in sides treets.

As Bokhara has indicated the food opportunities are fantastic. There are lots of back-packing hostels on Victoria Street, so that might be a bit noisier on weekends
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 11:12 PM

It reminds me of the Village & Meatpackers in Manhattan.

I'd take the Challis Avenue or Macleay street options over Bayswater, Victoria or McElhone if it were me - quieter, right near some fabulous restaurants and still within easy walking distance of the train station.

If you like a walk, there's a staircase leading from Victoria Street down to Wooloomooloo, along the Cowper street finger wharves to the Art Gallery of NSW, through the Botanic Gardens to the Opera House. Takes me about 20 mins on the rare occasions I don't stop off at the Art Gallery, or dawdle through the Botanic Gardens. Absolutely glorious on a nice day.

The Intercontinental at $193 is a bargain though - and if you've not stayed around the Quay before, would be hard to pass up.

Just totally different experiences - with the Cross/Potts Point giving you the option of living in a more residential area.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 09:22 AM

I don't see if you mentioned how many days you're staying, but there are a couple of stay 3 nights and get the 4th free deals on Expedia.com. I searched on the 22 - 26 of August (the nights I'm there!) and for 4 nights it's US$173/night for the Shangri-la, US$161 for the Sir Stamford. Might be worth a quick peek...
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! I have 3 nights, so getting a 4th free wouldn't help. I have decided whether I end up there to sleep or not, I will spend some time in the Cross area. I like places like that and am attracted to the food, and the general vibe. Am really tempted by the IC $193 and am trying Priceline to see what I can come up with. Learning a lot the city in this process!Will post what I end up deciding.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 04:40 PM

If you're still pricing hotels I'd check this site: http://www.bookitnow.com.au/accommod...y-city-east/1/ It has a wide range of options. Also when in Sydney I'd made sure to at least go and see the Opera house. It's far more impressive to see it up close and personal then just seeing it from a distance.
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again all. Ended up with a fabulous deal at the Sheraton on the Park, which was a LOVELY hotel. for ~$180US/night I got executive club level access and a room at one of the nicer hotels I have been at in a while. Very much more Four Seasons than US level Sheraon. More than I had originally intended to spend but worth every penny. (Made up for the difference with having breakfast and happy hour food and drinks included in the rate....!)