Sydney and beyond

Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney and beyond

Thanks for everyone's imput here. I had a lovely time in Australia.
Nicest people, beautiful city, lovely mountains and great outback.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 03:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Glad you had a good trip - where did you end up staying on your way to Armidale?
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Decided to go to Alice Springs instead. It was great. Sunny the first day then rain the next 3 days. When I did the tour to Uluru-Kata Tjuta Park, the driver said it may go down as the wettest year recordered, if it keeps up like it has been so far this year. Mud puddles on all the trails. He also said that flowers that had not bloomed in 10 years, were blooming. And yes, I definitly needed a light winter coat and gloves. Really loved Australia, and didn't mind the flight, it really wasn't that bad. Stopped 4 days in San Franscico on my way home to Pennsylvania. Great 68th birthday trip.
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 04:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Good for you! You'll be amused to hear the iconic Birdsville Races have had to be postponed due to rain. First time in 128 years!
http://www.birdsvilleraces.com/
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 02:07 PM

"...didn't mind the flight, it really wasn't that bad..."

Trumpet this from the rooftops - the flight scares so many people from going, if only they knew that it isn't as bad as they think!
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 02:24 PM

In my opinion the flight turned out to be not much worse than going to Europe. This is why: On European flights (at least from the East Coast US where I live), there is hardly any time when they leave you alone. Going across the Pacific is no picnic, but, on the long haul they leave you be for 6-8 hours and turn out the lights. Almost everyone gets at least some sleep--although obviously not the same quality sleep you would get in your own bed.

I have now gone down under twice. I would do it again. Jet lag takes several days to go away and is fiercer than what I have experienced in Europe (but for me it is more hours of time adjustment than Europe is).

European airfares are so expensive now that for another $200-300 why not try Australia or NZ?