Reload this Page >

Need some advices about Sydney

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 07:39 PM
Débora

I am in need of some information about the Darling Harbour, in Sydney, such as hotels, restaurants, shops, and so on. <BR>I also want to know which is the best place to see koalas, in Sydney or other cities. <BR>Me and my husband will be going to Australia in May 2002, and I would like to know about the weather too. <BR>Thank you very much! <BR> <BR>Debora

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Irene V

You are definitely staying in the best area - ( Darling Harbour) for site seeing.You are also at the hub of things. We have only just returned from oz, back to England and we loved every minute. The weather was perfect (March/April) Manley fantastic. <BR>Loads of hotels, loads of restaurants., all around Darling Harbour.Wish I was back there.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 02:55 PM
scurry

<BR>As far as Koalas go, the sydney zoo is fun because you can take a ferry out there. You can see them behind glass of fencing, I can't remember which. <BR> <BR>If you go to Brisbane, there's a place called Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary that allows you to hold them and have your picture taken (for a fee). You can also feed the kangaroos there. <BR> <BR>There's a state or National park outside of Melbourne where we saw 4 or 5 Koalas in the wild -- which is VERY rare. I can't remember the name of the place but it's an old volcano crater which is now a lake.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 05:01 PM
Prue

Debora, since the Olympics there are a great many hotels now in Sydney, many of which are situated in or near Darling Harbour. If you were to do a search on any of the major chains you will find many possibilities. <BR>There are also a great many restaurants in the area, many of which serve fish.Also shops of every kind. <BR>Darling Harbour is situated close to the CBD as well, and you will find it easy to get most places from there. <BR>There is also a Sanctuary on the outskirts of Sydney where you are able to hold koala bears. The Zoo, which is excellent, is the other alternative, but you may not be able to hold them there. <BR>Hope this helps. <BR>Hope this helps.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 07:01 PM
Bill

Debora You may want to consider staying at or near Circular quay. It appears to be the center of activity with all the ferry boats originating there. It is in easy walking distance to the Opera House and to the Rocks area. <BR> <BR>Have a great time Sydney is a great city and there are interesting day trips out of Sydney by train.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 10:17 PM
Rhonda

Debora, <BR> <BR>The only place where you can hold a baby koala (you hold the cushion, the koala hangs onto the cushion) is at the Koala Park, 84 Castle Hill Rd, West Pennant Hills ph:02 9484-3141. I'm sure there are organised bus tours to take you there. <BR> <BR>Another great wildlife park is Featherdale Wildlife Park, 217 Kildare Rd, Doonside ph: 02 9622-1644. Again, bus tours take tourists here. It's often a stop on the way to the Blue Mountains. <BR> <BR>If time is limited, I'd take the ferry over to Taronga Zoo, (take the ferry from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay 1st), catch the cable car to the top of the hill (great views) and walk down. This way combining a trip on the harbour with the zoo. <BR> <BR>The weather in May can be quiet cool, depending on what you are used to (ie. max temp anywhere between about 12-20 C) but also sunny (not ideal swimming weather!). <BR> <BR>Have a great trip.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Rhonda

Oh yes, to see koalas in Melbourne try the Zoo or about 1 hour east is Healseville Sanctuary - tourist buses go there, I don't think there's a train any more. Weather in Melbourne in May is cold. Koalas in nature - try Phillip Island, but sighting can't be guaranteed.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Ben

I was in Sydney in March 27 to Apr 2,2001. If you like to stay in a hotel near Darling Harbour, I can recommend ALL SEASONS DARLING HARBOUR. It is a new hotel. They have a website so you can check it out. <BR> <BR>I personally would have preferred to stay at OLD SYDNEY HOLIDAY INN located at the Rocks. It is near many of the fine restaurants and near Circular Quay where all the Ferries depart.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 05:59 PM
Débora

I am very grateful to all of you who took your time to answer me. It was very helpful, and I am anxious to go and hold a lovely koala. Thank you very much! <BR> <BR>Débora

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 08:32 PM
mrsm

The Novotel at Darling Harbour is quite nice ! You might want to stay more in teh city though (ie; Circular Quay or The Rocks).... <BR> <BR>Koalas in Sydney - definately at the Zoo (just North of the CBD) .. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip !!

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 01:32 PM
kittie

Debora, <BR> <BR>We held a koala at the Lone Pine Sanctuary in the Brisbane area. I don't know if it was a baby, but it was a great experience!(see scurry's posting). <BR> <BR>We stayed at a B&B in the Lane Cove area north of the bridge. It was a wonderful place to stay! There is a bus stop and a subway station nearby. The rate is very reasonable. <BR> <BR>Please feel free to email me if you want more info... <BR> <BR>Kittie