Need help planning wardrobe for upcoming trip to NZ

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a random question. But when in the cities in NZ and going out for a nice dinner what is the level of dress? Don't want to look like a tacky american and show up in my jeans!! Is it pretty much what I would experience in Europe. I am from California and here anything goes unfortunatly. Thanks again...
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 11:51 AM

Does the term "neat casual" ring a bell? It is used down-under and - I think - also in Kiwiland (Rob might help us out here).

I went to a few quite swank places and was fine looking a notch up from jeans or safari-khaki-cargo pants, just regular pants and a shirt with a collar and shoes that don't scream "track -and-field or basketball court".

There was a table of folks nearby where the guys wore ties - but my companions joked that they were local lawyers out to impress each other - my companions were kiwis of certain academic/societal standing and advanced age, they didn't wear ties and those who came with a jacket took it off.

Does that help?
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 02:30 PM

Although in rural places on the South Island there is an odd fondness for shorts on men and polyester fleece vests, in cities and nice places you can dress just as you would in California. More so Southern than Northern, ie toward the casual end of the spectrum.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

This helps, Thanks. Certainly no need for hubbie to bring sportscoat?? I have been looking at my sons pics he has posted online of parties he has been to and the young men are wearing ties(they are in early 20's.) I was suprised to see that.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 06:30 PM

kmh7. Not intended to be exhaustive, but:
1. Unless you are intending to indulge in fine dining, there is no need for a sportscoat, unless you want to bring one along just for the ride. On the other hand, if you like to smarten up for dinner, that, too, is fine.
2. NZ dress tends to be very casual when compared with most overseas places. Let functionable, tidy and comfortable be your guiding principles.
3. Ties are becoming the exception rather than the rule in NZ. An open-necked shirt is more the norm in summer.
4. I tend to kick around in shorts, sandals and tee or polo shirts during summer, and there are few places that I would go to where I would feel, or look, out of place dressed like that. I would usually wear slacks or tidy jeans to a restaurant at night, but would not be surprised to see people there in shorts.
5. Be prepared for a cold wind at times, no matter where you are. A light windproof jacket, and something with long sleeves to wear under it, is advisable.
6. Bring insect repellant.
Rob.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Rob, you are as always a huge help. I am really looking forward to seeing your beautiful country. My son has been there about 5 weeks now and isn't sure he cares about coming home! Take care, Kim