N Moorea, 3N Huahine, 3N Rangiroa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning this once in a lifetime trip for late next year. We know we want to go to Moorea, and then we are not sure. We want to go to 3 places, 3 nights each. We have been saving for this trip and it will probably never happen again. We have been to all the islands of Hawaii and like adventure and also kicking back on the island of Molokai. We definitely want to do Rangiroa and/or Huahine, or should we do one of these and 3N Bora Bora. We are also thinking one night stay at Rangiroa and 2 night on the Archipels cruise or 3 nights on the Haumana for that part of the trip. There is not a lot of recent info about these islands besides Bora Bora being very built up and touristy. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Amy
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:52 AM

I visited Bora Bora and Rangiroa in May (as a stopover on my return from Easter Island -- I posted photos on this forum, but they have long descended).

If you dive/snorkel, Rangiroa is great (if not, there's little to do that merits the long trip). But my hotel (Les Relais Josephine) was incredible -- right on the pass and you could see dolphins and sharks from the room. Kia Ora is more expensive, and a lot less charming.

I only spent two days in Bora Bora, and I had had a motorcycle incident in Easter Island, so I spent most of my time in Bora Bora on land resting -- its a beautiful island, but very touristy and very pricey (when I was there, the island seemed to be overrun with US honeymooners).
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback
Amy
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 03:57 AM

Huahine retains a very Polynesian atmosphere. It is not terribly touristy. It is a lush, green island with good coral reefs. If you travel there, make sure to take a round the island boat tour, which will include a snorkeling trip in the lagoon and a visit to the local pearl farm.
We stayed at the 3-star Relais Mahana: http://www.relaismahana.com/hotel-hu...nch-polynesia/
It was simple but comfortable. The beach in front of the Relais was small but lovely with excellent snorkeling. We enjoyed walking on the quiet beaches and through the nearby villages.
There is a fancier, built-on-stilts-over-the-water resort on the island, as well, but they do not have much of a beach.
After we returned from our trip to Huahine, I recommended the island to a friend of mine who is a professional travel writer, and she also ended up loving the island. She decided to stay right in the town Fare.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 04:51 PM

I have been to Bora Bora 3 times, Moorea and Rangiroa once but never been to Huahine.

I was disappointed with Bora Bora the 3rd time. As you mentioned, it is built up with too many huge cruise ships inundating the island. On the ground, most hotel guests were Italian, American, or Japanese honeymooners. The services and activities reflected this guest demography. The scenery was still drop dead gorgeous.

I liked Rangiroa because it is an atoll with a different feel than island-barrier reef combination places as are the cases of Moorea, Huanhine, or Bora Bora. I went there for snorkeling and relaxing (why else people go there?)

Note that there is one non-stop flight a day from Bora Bora to Rangiroa, but traveling Rangiroa to Bora Bora requires backtracking through Tahiti. The flight route is not symmetrical.