Search

My Speeding Ticket in NZ!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Speeding Ticket in NZ!

Ok, folks, after all the warnings, I was sooo careful with my driving. At least 99% of the time , I guess.
Darned if I didn't just receive a speeding ticket in the mail, almost 2 months after the fact.
I was caught on camera doing 65 in a 50, in a gazetted zone. First of all, what on earth is a gazetted zone? I've never heard that term.
And what will happen if I don't pay the ticket?
On the ticket it says that if I don't pay it within 28 days, it will be turned over to the justice department.
What does that mean? Will it be turned over to the RCMP in Canada?
What are the repercussions if I don't pay it?
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 11:24 AM

I am guessing of course but you may have difficulty getting a visa next time.
Just pay up you can hardly fight it can you.

Good luck

Muck
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 12:29 PM

Hi Kodi,

Bad luck with that. Where you driving a rental or were you driving a private car.

If it was a rental, the ticket is issued to the rental company as the registered owner. You being the driver at the time of course ending up with the ticket. Now I am assuming here that when you rented the car you paid by credit card or at least gave an imprint.

If you were to not pay the ticket yourself then there is a chance the rental company will deduct it from your credit card anyway.

By the way, these fines don't go away they just get larger.

Gazetted Zone means the speed limit was notified most likely in the New Zealand Gazette. This is a government publication that list all notices, laws etc.

http://www.gazette.govt.nz/diawebsit...x?OpenDocument

Could not be more boring if it tried.

Cheers

Steve
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 01:19 PM
sandi

When we were in Australia, same thing happened. Camera ticket arrived about a week after arriving back in the States. Because we rented from Avis or Hertz, and are regular renters, and not wanting to be on their "s#it list" we paid up. If the penalty due is indicated in NZD, just convert at the current rate and send off a check... in your case, in CND. File the ticket with your photos as a reminder to go easy on the gas next time you rent a vehicle.

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Oh alright, I'll just pay it!!!!!!
The funny thing is ( not too funny) is that I was so careful the whole time. But this was my last day of driving and I wasn't feeling well and I was sooo anxious to get back to Auckland. A little too anxious, I guess!! I looked up the location on my ticket and I remember exactly where it was.
Haha... I will add it to my photo album!
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 01:01 AM

a great unique (expensive) memory for you.
DON'T DO IT AGAIN....LOL

Muck
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 01:18 PM

hi, kodi,
oh dear, what a bummer! Knowing how cautious you were about driving on the corect side, and staying within the speed limit, it does seem unjust. But I am pleased you have decided to pay - we would love to see you back here some time!
And it puts you in the league of Hilary Swanks (or whatever her name is) who was recently fined for bringing an apple and an orange into NZ!
Dot
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Hi Dotty,
Ah, but I won't cause the fuss that Hillary Swank did!!!! And I'm not even rich like she is!!!
You are one of the few who know how careful I was!
Teresa and I had lunch today and once again, where going over our trip..
Every single day was perfect....even the day I got the ticket!
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:01 AM

Rest assured, kodi, that the NZ government will put your money to good use. Here, I suspect it would be put towards a new speed camera.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 06:21 AM

Hi Kodi,
was the amount huge? A fellow friend of mine was caught on camera and fined $480 for doing 110 on the highway. She was screaming!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 06:26 AM
Jed

Having just driven over 1000 miles in NZ, I want to thank those who warned about speeding tickets. Indeed, I saw some cars pulled over by police, and kept to the speeding limit (mostly).
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Chenoa, no it wasn't too bad. My ticket was $80.00. I was going 65 in a 40 zone. Hardly a speed demon!!
As I mentioned earlier, it was my last day, and I wasn't feeling well. I just wanted to get back to Auckland.
YOur friend must have been going really fast!!
BTW, I did send the money!! and kept my portion of the ticket for my scrap book.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:19 PM

Kodi, $80 sounds quite reasonable. My friend says it's a huge shock 'cos her brother went over the limit before and was fined around $120. She claims they were just over by maybe 10-15km/h on the highway. She hasn't paid her fines yet but her husband has written to seek some explanation or something. My guess is that fine charges increase on a exponential curve.

I'm crossing my fingers....

BTW, a few times, we received flash signals from drivers in the opposite direction about hidden police cars ahead and slowed down. We also signaled to other drivers too. Everyone seems to understand the double flashing of lights. hahaha