Moorea vs Bora Bora and B and Bs

Old Nov 26th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moorea vs Bora Bora and B and Bs

La oOana. I am organizing a twice cancelled trip to French Polynesia for health reasons for early June in belated honor of my husband's 50th birthday, consolation for my 65th coming up in April and celebration of our 20th wedding anniversary. My plan is to spend 4 nights on either Bora Bora or Moorea, preferably in a B and B or vacation rental (ie reducing costs as much as possible).

The big question is which island? A close friend says Bora Bora is more unique, that Moorea while beautiful is more like Hawaii (which being from San Francisco is easy for us) while another says that Moorea is the best place on earth.

Our travel agent suggests Legends Resort on Moorea. Thoughts?
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 01:56 PM

Well for what its worth my pick would be Bora Bora. But you have to realize that I haven't been back there for over 30 years......lots have changed since when I was there as a lad. At least this will top for better advice.

Aloha!
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

A lad? You never mentioned you were Scottish. So far I have 3 votes for Bora Bora, (you and two friends I trust a lot, but also they have not been there for over 15-25 years) 1 for Moorea. Speaking of Hawaii, the Four Seasons on the Big Island has the best fish tacos I have had in my life ever anywhere and here in the Bay Area there is much competition.
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 04:09 PM

Though Bora Bora is probably the most beautiful place I've been to, I preferred Moorea. More to see and do on Moorea. I live in Hawaii and I don't think the two are that much alike. Check out villa rentals on VRBO, a friend just got back from an amazing stay on Moorea.
You do know that Legend's is not on the beach but up on a hill? There's a shuttle to their private motu but don't know how often the shuttle runs.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

La orana,
Thank you all. I thought I'd let you know what I decided to do. We will spend two nights at La Fare Suisse pensione in Papeete (95 euro per night, air conditioned with kitchen), renting a car for the full day that we have and driving around Moorea, then spend 4 nights on Bora Bora, staying at Rohoru Lodge, one of three bungalows perched in the hills with kitchen and no airconditioning (190 euro a night), then finish in Le Tah'aa, spending 5 nights at the Relais and Chateaux Le Ta'haa private island hotel and spa before heading back to San Francisco. I'm quite happy with my choices, though one always mourns the road not traveled. Leslie Borghetti of Custom Travel (works out of her home in Massachusetts) was yet again extremely helpful in arranging very good prices for our airfares and splurge at the Relais and Chateaux hotel. I highly reccomend her.