Search

Moorea or Bora Bora?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2016, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moorea or Bora Bora?

My wife and I are planning our first trip to the French Polynesia either this coming December or next March. We are looking to stay somewhere secluded that is not too crowded and without a lot of families. As for activities, we like to snorkel, hike, maybe do a 4x4 tour, and just relax. For Moorea, we are looking at the Sofitel Moorea la Ora Beach Resort Hotel. This resort looks to be something we might like as compared to the Intercontinental or Hilton on the same island. We are planning to stay in one of the overwater bungalows. What are some of your opinions on this resort?

For Bora Bora, it seems like we have a lot more choices. Since we've were looking at the Sofitel resort in Moorea, we also checked out the Sofitel Bora Bora Private Island briefly. From the aerial shot of this property, it looks like something that would be perfect for us. Are there any other similar resorts to the Sofitel on Bora Bora? For those of you who have been to either or both of these islands, can you throw some recommendations out for us?

thanks in advance
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your title implies an either or decision, which IMO weighs heavily in favor of Bora Bora. Either island would suit your interests, but Bora Bora generally has better snorkeling, and its beauty is almost indescribable: exotic, romantic, idyllic... But it's also more expensive than Moorea! And most of the resorts are on "motu", which while giving you that seclusion you're looking for, will also somewhat isolate you. So I think Sofitel Private Island is a good compromise since you can more easily access the island, which allows more options for dining, shopping, and other activities. And, the best of Bora Bora's snorkeling is nearby.

"Are there any other similar resorts to the Sofitel on Bora Bora?"

Not sure what you're asking here, but if it's if there are resorts on Moorea similar to Bora Bora's Sofitel Private Island, then no (or not that I'm aware of). If you're asking if there are Bora Bora resorts similar to Moorea's Sofitel Ia Ora, well, there's the Sofitel Marara.

If it's not an either/or decision, for what you're looking for, I think Sofitel Ia Ora is a good choice on Moorea. It feels more intimate than either the Hilton or IC, and I like that it attracts a more international clientele, which to me is part of the appeal of travel. Snorkeling might be a bit better at the Hilton though.