Month in NZ - first 10 days or so in Napier/Hawkes Bay - comments please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're traveling to SE Asia/NZ/OZ in Jan - Mar next year from Toronto.

The first 3 1/2 weeks are

Hong Kong
Bangkok
Angkor Wat
Luang Prabang
Singapore

We arrive Feb 1 in NZ for one month. I would like us to have an apartment for at least the first week/ten days to relax after the previous 3 1/2 weeks of fairly intensive travel. Napier has been suggested to us - we love food and wine and art deco and I've found a lovely beach house. From there we would likely rent a car and explore the area, and after 10 days start exploring the rest of the North Island and move on to the South Island for the latter part of February

(I'll be tackling the plans for the rest of NZ and OZ next - my planning started in August but had a huge hiatus due to an illness in the family so I'm quite behind now - trying to get the big pieces sorted out - i.e. flights, SE Asia portion and our first 10 days in NZ).

Any comments would be appreciated. We're flying on a Star Alliance Airpass so we might be able to fly to Norfolk Island on that - also interested in any comments about Norfolk!

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:55 AM

The good news about Napier is the weather is generally very good. The bad news is there isn't a whole lot to do other than an Art Deco tour which takes about 1/2 day, and wine tasting. I assume you are not in Napier town proper if you are on the beach. You will probably be ready to move on after your intial stay. You could go up toward Taupo, Rotorua and Tongariro NP and then either fly to the SI from Auckland. Or back down via the Wairarapa and Wellington and take the ferry. If you like wine be sure to visit the Martinborough area.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 02:00 PM

Elizabeth,
So interesting to see what you finally chose! We spent a week on Norfolk in June, including the 150th Anniversary of the arrival of the Pitcairners. We enjoyed it very much. Click on my screen name above to read my trip report.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Oliver and Harry - it was your trip report that made us consider Norfolk!

Old Oct 28th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Any other comments???

mlgb - we are happy to drive up to 90 minutes in one direction for a day trip - does that change your observation that there's not much to do there?

Actually - if we can sit by the water for a week or so I think we'll enjoy just that - I expect we'll be tired after the SE Asia portion.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 01:07 PM

You can only fly to Norfolk (Wed.and Sat., I think)on Air NZ, Qantas, and possibly some new gov't sponsored carrier. If you want to use an agent, our friends Christan Ross and Rebecca Christian (yes, as in Fletcher)would help you at www.travelcentre.nf
Tell them the Felices sent you!
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 02:40 PM

Not really much else to do. But Morere Hot Springs might be worth a day trip if you are into that. Or maybe Splash Planet if you are not.

Here is a link to Hawke's Bay sights, mabye there is something of interest.

http://www.hawkesbaynz.com/sights_and_activities/
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 11:11 PM

Just got back from NZ yesterday. Just been e mailing my thanks to a friend in Havelock North (Hawkes Bay)for letting us stay.
We travelled around both islands, but my opinion is that the Hawkes Bay region had the most to offer. Its a beautiful area and you can take so many good day trips from there.
I decided that if we were to rent a house in NZ for a few months when my husband retires,Hawkes Bay is the place to do it!
Everyone told us we should visit in January/February as we didnt get good weather Lucky you having such a good holiday to look forward to! Great itinerary!