Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Moneygirl's Do-it-Yourself Trip Itinerary!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're leaving a month from tomorrow! I'm beginning the countdown! Flying Los Angeles to Brisbane and staying four nights at Waverley Padington Bed and Breakfast. As soon as the conference is over, we're driving up to Marysborough and staying two nights at the Eksdale House. We'll see the surroundng areas and spend our dollars on some Bundaberg! The next night will be in Emerald at the Emerald Maraboon Motel and Tavern! Then we have a long drive up to Airlie Beach for two nights at Water's Edge. Then on to Port Douglas for two nights (our splurge) at Thala Beach, three nights at Hibiscus Gardens and a flight back to Brisbane. One more night there and then home to California! Any comments? I've gotten so much help from this board, I promise y'all a nice trip report when I get home. Cheers!
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 09:12 PM

I am sorry to put a dampner on this but why are you going to Maryborough and Emerald???
Maryborough is a forgetable nothing place with only some strange old fashioned houses of interest. If you are staying in Paddington in Brisbane you will see enough of them there. Probably take about 2 hours at most including time for coffee in Maryborough and then total boredom will set in. Try Bundaberg Royal Rum Liqueur - its fantastic stuff but usually only available in Bundaberg which is about 72 miles north from M'Borough.
If you are going to Emerald for gems then I can understand your trip there but there is no other reason to go there other than gems and going through it to Carnarvon Gorge
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 11:10 PM

Why are you going to Emerald? It's 260km off the main highway and unless you are into gem fossicking, there isn't much there. Use this time at somewhere like Airlie Beach or Port Douglas.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 11:59 PM

Hi Moneygirl, Just thought I would put a positive your way.
Waters Edge at Airlie Beach is lovely. The views magnificent. We stayed there March 2002. I would go back in a second. Make the most of the day trips off shore. I hope the weather will be warm enough to use the pools.
We did the drive Port Douglas back to Brisbane on the coast...most of it was long & boring. Our apartment at Port Douglas looked onto Hibiscus Gardens.(The Regal on Marcrossen) Its a good location to the main street & 5 minute walk to the wharf. Enjoy your holiday.
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 06:24 PM

Has anyone been to Thala Beach resort ? My wife and I are somewhat adventurous and are looking forward to enjoying the secluded / private aspects of Thala ( beach, rock pools, rainforest).