Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Money- can you use Canadian or American money in Fiji, or do you exchange for their currency?

Search

Money- can you use Canadian or American money in Fiji, or do you exchange for their currency?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Lana

Hi! My brother bought into a timeshare, and I noticed that there are some resorts/condos in Fiji, Rarotonga etc. I would like to eventually see the South Pacific Islands. What currency do you use? I am from Canada, so could I exchange cdn money into their local currency? What about food- is it expensive to buy groceries or eat out? Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated! Thank-you!

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 11:23 AM
think

If Fijians go to America can they use their own money? If the answer is yes then you have your information.<BR>Stop thinking that everyone in the world centres around the US$..... we don't and believe me we don't regard the USA as anything other than another country. Wake up to yourself

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Lana

I was just asking, because I have travelled to other countries, such as the Caribbean, where the US dollar seems to be the most accepted for restaurants, shopping etc. I don't have a problem changing my currency into the local money. Didn't mean to offend anybody.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 11:16 AM
pat

No need to be snippy, thinkaboutit.com.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 11:54 AM
think

Pat & Lana: Do you understand how stupid that question was? Or how patronising it was? It was just about as bad as a post on the USA board which said " why don't people use $US in their country?" the answer is, that they like to think that they are NOT a part of the USA in any way, and what is wrong with their own money? People who don't live in the USA are very happy about not being there. People in Fiji believe that their standard of living and type of lifestyle far out shines anything you can get in the US and certainly the climate does ( with the exception of Hawaii, but then you have to be a Millionaire to live there well and you don't in Fiji) <BR>Americans may think the US is heaven but the rest of the world does not. Do you see people from the UK, Australia, Europe climbing the fences to get in? NO we are all quite happy as we are and thank you. If the Carib nations like to accept your $ then that is ok because they obviously are a third world area and get enough of your to make it worth while.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 12:25 PM
please

ok, the question is common sense and a bit lame to those who ALREADY KNOW the answer. But, if you didn't know, and had been to the caribbean where US dollars are used in major areas, there is nothing wrong with asking such a question. This isn't a dirty american thing, so stop trying to turn it into one.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 12:31 PM
please

Just noticed, she isn't even AMERICAN...now you should feel really bad for your comments!! She is Canadian. In answer to your question...... You can easily exchange money at the airport upon arrival. They will accept travellers checks at the major resorts as well...

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 01:08 PM
so

If she is Canadian then that is just a further reason not to ask such a stupid question - what currency do Canadians use?????????????????????? Oh yes I am aware that they accept US$ sometimes .... but what do they use????????????

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 01:14 PM
traveller

Boy, what a bunch of rude people!<BR><BR>To answer your question, you can easily exchange your money in Fiji. Don't worry about bringing Cdn$, we did and just popped down to the bank, no problems. We also had NZ dollars with us. The banks are very accomodating.<BR><BR>And to those of you who are so rude about this, it is much less expensive to bring your own currency and exchange it in the country you are in.<BR><BR>We found the food to be quite reasonable. The markets are busy but easy to navigate.<BR><BR>You will like Fiji, the people are very warm and friendly. The most difficulty we had was in the towns where the shopkeepers are very aggressive.<BR><BR>Have fun.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 01:30 PM
im with you

im sorry to say but i agree with think about it...it is very frustating and patronising when non Americans hear this dumb question...it is just incredible to many enlightened people that the US depicts itself in such a way in the media (and guidebooks) that it leads many other people to think that all these countries are siting round craving US Dollars and wishing they could be more like America. You may think thinkaboutit was ebing rude or 'snippy' but it only that a question like this is just illustrative of how insidious and powerful that American promotional machine is.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Lana

Boy, I guess I should have thought about my question before posting it. Sorry if I offended. Thank you everyone for their advice. I will look forward to seeing these beautiful islands. Bring Canadian currency and exchange it.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Stars&Stripes

Hey Lana<BR><BR>One of the best things you can do is take your ATM card with you. You'll get a very fair conversion rate. <BR>Don't pay attention to the "aggressive" tones you've been hearing on this post. Come back another day when the posts are sunnier!!!

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 11:55 AM
Lee Green

On my first visit to Europe in 1959, a popular joke was an American asking "How much is that in real money." It offended me then and it offends me now.<BR><BR>Ever since then, I have made it a firm policy to change my money into local currency. <BR><BR>I have worked in 16 different countries (including Canada) and see that the people work as hard or harder for their money than Americans do. Since I live 7 miles from the Canadian border, I almost always have both currencies in my wallet.<BR><BR>Don't offend people in other countries by asking them to accept your currency!

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 05:52 AM
cariblover

thinkaboutit gets on his/her high horse to attack Lana for what is perceived to be a patronizing or condescending tone. When Lana defends herself by citing her experience in the Caribbean, thinkaboutit strikes right back by saying its OK in the Caribbean to take US dollars because the Carib is third world. So, by thinkaboutit's vaunted standards, its OK to be condescended to if you're a mere third world country in the Caribbean. Am I getting it right?<BR><BR>Lana, I'm sorry you got hammered for asking an innocent question which, in my opinion (based on my experiences in the "third world" Caribbean where US currency is not only gladly accepted, but is often adopted as a nation's official currency), is not out of line. <BR><BR>Perhaps we should turn the tables and suggest that perhaps the Caribbean islanders are smarter, because they can more easily calculate exchange rates? Or perhaps they are more hospitable to foreign visitors? Nah, I'm not going to go there...