Mission Estate Concert. Napier

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are coming across the ditch for the concert 28/2 to 2/3. Can you please tell us (roughly) what the weather would be like in Napier about that time. Its costing a fortune but we are so looking forward to the night- jumpers, raincoats?? We have booked at the Cumberland Court Hotel- accommodation was hard to find but this looked OK. As we are only there for three days what are the MUST Dos for Napier/Hastings. Thank you- can't wait til we get there!
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:51 AM

You can check the weather at the metservice website a few days out. Weather is always changeable but Napier might be more predictable than other parts of NZ.

I guess from Australia you don't really need to do the winetasting tours. Art deco tour is the other big thing in Napier.

http://metservice.co.nz/default/index.php?alias=napier
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:44 AM

The weather should be very nice at that time, however, "should be" is no longer reliable in this age of climate change, so, if I were you, I would bring a jumper, just in case. Whenever and wherever I travel, I always pack one of those plastic rain ponchos that folds up into a little square. It costs me about $5 in an army surplus/camping supply store and weighs less than half a kilo. A raincoat would be heavier, but if you have space and if you are worried, maybe you should bring one--again--just in case. How about packing a lightweight fleece throw to sit on, or for covering your legs or wrapping around you if it gets chilly?
For general information about Hawkes Bay, try:
http://www.hawkesbaynz.com/
http://www.hbmaoritourism.co.nz/food..._map/index.htm
For Hawkes Bay wineries information:
http://www.hawkesbaywines.com/wineries.asp

Napier is home to the National Aquarium of NZ. It's not as magnificent as the Sydney Aquarium, but it is very nice, and worth visiting as it offers a closer look at indigenous animals like the tuatara and kiwi. It has hundreds of fish, including a fine representation of local fish from New Zealand's East Coast.
The Aquarium is right on Napier's main beach, which is gorgeous (but, then again, you have gorgeous beaches galore in Oz). Swimming conditions can be rough, so you should check before entering the water. It's a great beach for walking.
In Havelock North, take a drive up to Te Mata Peak for a spectacular view (be forewarned: the road is narrow). Also in Havelock North, you can visit Arataki Honey, which sells a variety of honey, candles, and toiletries containing bee products.

Mission Estate Winery, where you will be going, is considered by many locals to be the most beautiful in HB. Everyone recommended that we visit, but we somehow we just never made it. Its restaurant was also highly recommended. However, we did make it to several wineries, our favorite being Craggy Range Winery on Te Muna Road in Hastings. The winery and its setting are beautiful. The restaurant is excellent (though a bit pricey). Craggy Range wines are award-winning.
If you decide to drive out to the gannet colony at Cape Kidnappers you can also stop in at Kim Crawford Winery.
We also visited and enjoyed Matariki Winery, Esk Valley Winery, Te Mata, CJ Pask, and Vidal.
For a city of its size, I thought Napier had a good selection of shops and restaurants. You might want to have a look around the Ahuriri waterfront development of Napier.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 12:08 AM

Diamantina has it pretty well covered but a word of warning. Napier's main beach is dangerous, after the Napier earthquake of 1931 the seabed changed dramatically and there is a strong rip.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM

Definitely be aware that the Napier beach is dangerous, steep drop off, unforgiving - best to look at.

Absolutely recommend a tractor trip along the beach to Cape Kidnappers. (Yes that's my screen name.)

You drive (or get transport arranged through the Napier i-SITE information centre) to Clifton, then borad the trailers towed by old but reliable tractors along the beach access, beneath the towering cliffs of the cape, to the gannet colonies. The first one you pass through, rock stacks on and beside the beach. Then you can walk up a (yes steep) track for 15 - 20 minutes to the colonies on the plateau, great views. The tracto trip itself is great, basic but safe and comfortable, drivers down to earth Kiwi blokes who know their stuff.
Trips vary according to the tide and you'd need to book on concert weekend.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for your information. sorry for the lateness of my reply. I have bought some disposable rain ponchos, will definately do the tractor ride and will avoid the beach. Obviously the weather is same as here in Sydney, hot, wet, windy, cold- all in the one day! So looking forward to the concert. Thanks again.