Milford Sound vs Doubtful Sound

Mar 15th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Milford Sound vs Doubtful Sound

Has anyone done both? Recommendations if you only have time for one?

Is an overnight cruise worth it or just do the day cruise? Which companies are good for cruises or tours?

Mar 15th, 2006, 01:44 PM

I have done both and Milford is definetely more spectacular, but is somewhat overrun with tourists compared to Doubtful Sound. Also the trail hikes on the way to Milford Sound are spectacular and I would recommend a day or half a day of hiking.
Mar 15th, 2006, 03:44 PM

We did the day cruise on Milford Sound and the overnight on Doubtful. You can read my RAVE review of the overnight on Doubtful if you click on my name up top (you'll see the review from our whole trip.)
Doubtful was THE highlight of our trip! But if you are limited on time and can't do an overnight then Milford is still a great experience!
Just to get to Doubtful takes 30 minutes to drive from Te Anau to Manapouri, then an hour boat ride then a 45 minute bus ride. (It is not accessible by car).
You should give yourself 3 hours to drive from Te Anau to Milford as there are lots of little walks and scenic stops along the way that are very nice!
My pick: DOUBTFUL!!
Hope this helps!
Mar 16th, 2006, 08:59 AM

We just got back from NZ and we did both. We did an overnight on Doubtful and just a day cruise on Milford. I agree with luv2globetrot and can't say enough about our overnight on Doubtful! I don't know who luv2globetrot used but we went with Foirdland Cruises and it was great. It is a small intimate boat that sleeps 12 and we went fishing(they cooked what we caught for dinner that night)and kayaking and the stars at night were amazing.

The day tour on Milford was beautiful but the overnight experience was unforgettable.

Katzy
Mar 16th, 2006, 02:52 PM

Which ever one you choose to do, I think you should seriously consider doing an overnight tour. I have not been on the Milford tour, but chose the overnight Doubtful Sound and it as absolutley wonderful. As luv2globetrot states, it's a long way in to Doubtful Sound. On our tour, the people who had to turn back were very sad to do so. The overnight gives you so many more hours to enjoy the Sound. And the food was great too! We went with Real Journeys and they were great in every aspect of the tour.
www.realjourneys.co.nz

Mar 20th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! We have definitely decided to do any overnight - we are trying to decide whether to overnight at Doubtful or overnight at Milford.

Either way, we will likely do one of tours that picks you up early in the morning from Q-town and coaches you to the boat and back.

Has anyone done an overnight on Milford? hearing great things about overnight at Doubtful and great things about day trips to Milford - but anyone able to do an apple -to apples comparasion of and overnight on both?

Thank you guys!!!
Mar 20th, 2006, 08:44 AM

I was asking the same question and my problem was solved by Real Journeys--the Doubtful Sound overnight was fully booked on the day we selected so we reserved Milford. I am sure both are wonderful. I called them directly 11 months in advance and couldn't believe a tour group bought the entire boat.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

ECCKKK! Better call in the morning! but which?? LOL
Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:44 PM

No doubt about it. Go for Doubtful. click on my name and read post #2 for may ravings. It was an awesome experience. Good luck