Reload this Page >

Milford Sound Cruise Options

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 10:09 PM
Linda

Can anyone help in selecting an option for a Milford Sound cruise? The Milford Wanderer sounds nice because it's a longer, more informative trip, but it looks like we'd have to stay in Te Anau to get to it on time (we're staying in Queenstown). What about some of the other options like the Friendship Cruise which is much smaller? Any difference between the Red Boat vs. Fiordland Travel? We're also thinking of a bus, cruise, fly trip, but then the cruise will be much shorter. Ideas will be welcome! Thank you.

Old Nov 17th, 1999, 11:45 AM
Hans

Linda: It has been three years since I was at Milford Sound so things may have changed. In terms of cruises, Fiordland actually uses the Red Boats for its cruises--you join them at the Harbord. We did the bus, boat and fly package from Queenstown and it was great for many reasons. The road from Te Anau to the sound is wonderful and the bus makes several stops along the way which each provide spectacular views-- some are stops to wander around the waterfalls, too. The boat is a must--to be out on the sound is great. Frankly, the cruise we took with this package was enought time on the sound-- you sail although way out in the Tasman Sea so that you can see how easy it was for Cap't Cook (I beleive) to sail right by it, you have an opportunity to see the entire lenght of the sound and it is spectacular-- I think the cruise is about 2 hours in length. The flight home was only about 1/2 hour and you get an amazing bird's eye view of the Southern Alps during the flight to Queenstown. The plane is small and it can be bumpy--be warned! We ended up getting back into Q'town in time for dinner--we saw another couple that went with us thge next morning, they had taken the bus home. They were supposed to get back at 7:30 and did not end up getting back untilwell past midnight because there was an avalanche that blocked the road from the sound back to Milford!! Fiordland's package is very good--the buses are very nice and have stadium seating and a glass roof so you can take in all of the sights. Personally, I think driving there and back would be very boring since the drive from Te Anau to Queenstown is not that great--compared to all of the other amazing sights around the area. Hope this helps! Hans

Old Nov 17th, 1999, 11:45 PM
Jo

Hi Linda, <BR>As owner of a Queenstown B&B, this is a question I answer at least once a day, so would be happy to help you. <BR>My personal opinion, and that of most of our guests, is that Milford is wonderful, but not worth spending 12 hours travelling to and from. <BR>If you book yourself on the bus, you'll need to leave Queenstown by 7.30am. If you plan to fly back later in the day the total cost will be around NZD320 per person if the flights are able to take off. If not, you'll be back on the bus and not returning to Queenstown until 7.30pm. <BR>The trip we most often recommend, and which receives raves reviews, combines a flight to Te Anau, a 2 hour bus ride to Milford, a 1.5 hour cruise on the sound then a flight out of Milford. Total cost is NZD295 per person; you'd be picked up at your accommodation at 9.30am and returned again at 3.30pm. <BR>Let me know if you'd like contact details. <BR>Cruise options don't really differ in Milford, except the longer cruise has less passengers on it and also takes in the underwater observatory. All cruises see the same things. <BR>Hope this helps. <BR>Jo

Old Nov 18th, 1999, 05:44 AM
Dick

My wife an I took the Red Boat cruise this past November. The sound is really impressive. We elected to stay in Te Anau so that we could get one of the r boat had about 30 passengers. My understanding is that most of the tour groups arrive for the early afternoon cruises( I think around noon or so).....as a result those boats can have many hundreds of passengers...the weather was a little rainy in the am and cleared up later..I don't know if that is an every day occurence or not. <BR> <BR>The tunnel just before Milford Sound is one you will remember (trust me on this one). Also, don't miss the short walk to the waterfall while at Milford Sound. When you get off the boat...turn left and follow the walkway..seeing the waterfall up close ..will give you a good idea of the size of the sound. <BR> <BR>Wish I was going back <BR>

Old Nov 24th, 1999, 08:35 PM
Tim

One option you might consider is the Backroad Bus Adventure that Fiordland travel does. We took this trip 2 weeks ago and had a great time. However, it is a 2-day trip - I don't know if that fits into your itinerary. What we liked about this was the leisurely pace, the many stops and short walks, and the fact that we got to spend a bit more time in Milford Sound with the overnight cruise. <BR> The Backroad Bus Adventure starts in Queenstown, where you catch a boat across the lake to the Walter Peak farm station. There you hop on a small bus (we had about a dozen people total) and ride through remote farm stations (stopping frequently for scenery). Midday you link up with the main road to Te Anau, and end up in Milford in time to catch the overnight cruise on the Wanderer. The following day, the trip back is broken up by some short hikes, and you arrive back at Walter Peak in time to catch the TSS Earnslaw back across the lake to Queenstown. I recommend it! I think this ran about NZ$235 per person. <BR> <BR>What ever you end up doing, take a pair of binoculars (to look for penguins), a good waterproof jacket, and some warm clothes. Have a great trip!

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 04:21 AM
Susan

I agree that the sound is nice but not worth 12 hours to see. We opted for the fly,sail,fly method and really enjoyed it. It is an option that is best if you have limited time in Queenstown. The flight was beautiful. You are right there in the mountains with snow all around you. We saw the highest waterfall in the world (altitude wise) and landing over the sound is gorgeous. We didn't really pay attention to the boat, it was what ever boat came with the package. It was fine. They got close to the side to see waterfalls and seals. The whole trip I think was 4 hours.

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 05:14 PM
Patrick

We opted to rent a car in Queenstown and drive to Te Anau, a very nice drive, and spent two nights there. We enjoyed our full day drive and cruise at Milford. After doing the fjords of Norway the year before, it was not overly impressive, but nice -- our observation was that all the boats were pretty similar in what they do, in fact they sort of follow each other in one big circle. We enjoyed the drive, because we got out and walked a couple of interesting nature trails and rainforest areas along the way.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 06:38 PM
bbarber

Would like to know more about staying in Te Anau. We are going to NZ the first week of Oct., flying into Christchurch and taking the train to the west coast. Would appreciate suggestions about what to do after that. We only have a week. The 12 hr. cruise sounds a bit much. But we do want to cruise the Milford, possibly staying in Te Anau. Thanks for any help.

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 09:54 AM
Joan Graybill

My husband and I have just returned from NZ arriving home 1/29. The drive from Queenstown would be too long. We stayed on a sheep farm just outside Te Anau and took a mini bus tour which also included a boat road on the Sound. It was a smallish boat which also used sails and we had a wonderful time. NZ is fantastic and the people are wonderful. Please contact us if you would like more information.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 02:58 AM
bb

Is there a web site for the farm? How did you find the info for the mini-bus, boat ride? Did you sign up at the farm or where? From there, how would you recommend getting back to C'church? thanks.