Search

Melbourne Cup - how to get tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melbourne Cup - how to get tickets

Hi

In November my husband and I are travelling to Australia, I am hoping to surprise him with a visit to the races, particularly on Melbourne Cup day. I noticed on the ticketmaster website, that Overseas Applicants (subject to availability) must apply in writing and forward with full payment. Is this the best way to guarantee us tickets? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 11:43 AM
JYK

I was going to post the exact question! There are 4 of us, I would love to have tickets before we book rest of our trip.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi

What a small world!! Actually I have just been reading the ticketmaster.com.au website and it looks like they do accept international payments, so am going to email [email protected] to see if it is possible. Will let you know what I find out.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Ticketmaster are the sellers nominated by the Melbourne Cup Site and are likely to be flooded come August 01.

If they are taking advance bookings, you'd be on a winner.
If you have any difficulty there, not sure how it works, whether they tack on to the master re ticket blocks or not, but seem to be other sellers, eg. http://boxoffice.theage.com.au/theag...urne-cup-2009/

The Age one of Melbournes long time dailies should have a reliable system in place and there could be others like that with a google for Melbourne Cup Tickets.

I haven't been myself since they introduced pre booking and at $65 for a basic ticket these days I think I'll be finding other fun alternatives.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 05:50 AM
JYK

Bushranger, I'm surprised you don't know that the cup tickets go on sale on Aug 3rd

Majjsu: If OZ ticketmaster is anything like US ticketmaster, I'm going to opt for "print your own tickets" if I can buy them online.

Also, I've read few forums from previous years that it doesn't actually sell-out general adimission, but the package and box seats do.

Please do let me know if you get a response from the customer service. I'll be online on Aug 2, US time, to purchase them at least try.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Two day sloppiness JYK, just knew it was August [early] but does not surprise me if they will not be selling out.
Last year I went, about three or four years back I think it was might have been the last year you did not have to book and I think it was only $30, maybe $40 that got you a train ticket from CBD and into the course.
Re the flood comment, as per usual with any event, it can at first opening times be difficult getting through online, hence either waiting a few days should not be a problem or trying one of the secondary sellers.

Maybe the booked tickets still provide the train ride for with a station right at the course [you walk off the platform and you're at the back of the main stands] it's by far the easiest way there, especially if you are staying somewhere near the CBD.
And yep, get your accommodation booked now!

Good thing about the pre booked tickets is that numbers would be down from the old crushed sardines days and with higher prices to go with tighter economic times, it ought to be easier moving about.

You can make a good day of it in getting there a bit earlier, having a wander about the horses stalls though could be some that security might restrict access to and plenty of tucker options, Strawberries and Ice Cream at back of stands where a lot of junk food stalls and caravans are usually sited.

Have fun.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi

Thank you so much for all the advice. I have just had a reply back from Oz Ticketmaster as per below.

You can order the tickets on line and collect them once you arrive in Melbourne. Last year tickets could not be collected from the venue, but there are many other locations throughout Melbourne where you can collect the tickets. Below is an outline of the various on sale dates.

July 20 - General Admission for all dates

August 3 - 3 & 4 Day packages, Lawn & Undercroft

- 1 Day (Derby,Oaks,Stakes) Lawn & Undercroft

- Banks Enclosure

I need to work out when 20 July is in Australian time versus UK time! Hope you get some tickets too.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 06:26 PM
JYK

They sneaked the July 20th date on me. I had marked Aug 3rd. Majjsu, if you own an iPod, you can use its "clock" function to set the time in Melbourne. It'll probably be 9AM on July 20th, which will be about 9PM US Eastern time, and is UK about 6 hours ahead of me? I am definitely confusing you more. Thank you for the info.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 07:40 PM

It's 8PM here when first ball of the day is being bowled which seems about right for AEST is GMT+10 .

But unless when you try online, the booking system is not a 24 hr. one you can either do it from 11 PM on the 19th when it'll be 9 AM here or about 6AM when it would be 4 PM here.

And it ought to be either 15 or 9 hrs difference whichever way you want to look at it for US eastcoast, ie.
9 am here will be 5 pm on eastcoast on the 19th.

You'll need to adjust if any daylight saving applies.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 10:22 PM

make that 6 pm eastcoast
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to say thanks for the help & advice, this site is just great.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 06:33 AM
JYK

Update: I met someone from Melbourne this weekend and he said we can just get tickets when we get there. Tickets are not available the day of the race, but we can pick up at any ticketmaster outlet. I think this is what we are going to do. A couple guys in my group also wants to try to score tickets at the venue, to see if we can get them cheaper. They like to take chances..
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 12:37 PM

" Update: I met someone from Melbourne this weekend and he said we can just get tickets when we get there. Tickets are not available the day of the race, but we can pick up at any ticketmaster outlet. I think this is what we are going to do. "

That'll work for you JYK if there hasn't been a sell out - reason they introduced the pre-booking was because of the numbers that would cram in, last time I was there it was really difficult to get about in most areas of main stand and mounting yard/stables proximity.

Some people may be turned off as I said with higher prices but to be sure I wouldn't leave it to the day before or even week before.

As for getting a ticket at the course, there would have to be numbers way way down before that may happen - http://www.melbournecup.com/melbourn...ng-general.asp
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for letting me know that you can get the tickets there, to be truthful I am too scared to risk it as have booked the flights & accommodation. Anyway got in touch with Ticketmaster as they gave me duff information about 20th July! They do go on sale 3rd August and they have told me I can print off the tickets, so going to do that if I can. Good luck!
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hez

Personally - I can't imagine arranging a holiday around going to an event and then just winging it in the hopes you'll be able to get tickets a bit cheaper (and based on the advice of someone you just met). They are $65AUD - even at today's pathetic exchange rate that's only $55. Just my opinion.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 09:32 AM
JYK

Hez, I totally agree with you. For guys in my group, it's not about saving few $$. It's the fun of scalping tickets. Maybe a thing of US..

I ended up buying the tickets online. OZ ticketmaster is much better than US, for charging no fees. I opted to "print my own ticket" so we don't even have to worry about picking them up when we get there.

Now we just need to worry about what to wear
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 07:39 PM

Ticket scalping is illegal here.

Don't forget to wear a silly hat!
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Hez

JKY - Glad you got the tickets. Hope you have an amazing time - and as margo_oz said - don't forget your fancy (or silly) hat.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM

Tickets must be pre purchased.There are no sales at the track .

If coming from the city explore two options to get there other than a taxi . First is by boat . Some hotels and independent operators have boats that picks up on the Yarra River in the city and cruise down the river to the Docklands and into and up the Maribyrnong River which runs alongside the track .Get off and walk ( a fair hike in high heels) into the track .

The other optoion , used by thousands and which is cheap and easy , is the race train from Southern Cross Station in Spencer Street. The train stops inside the track and at the entrance turnstiles . Beware the late depature trains which tend to be full of drunk losers ( men and women ) .

For details of these options and lots of other information see www.melbournecup.com
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 10:07 PM

ps- what are you planning to do about lunch etc, if anything ?

If nothing presently then look at that site I just sent as there are catering options on it .

Do select where you are going to spend the day fairly carefully . You can prepay and reserve a seat in one of the stands so you have an uninterrupted view of the races and somewhere to sit when tired or get a place at a table in a dining room in a grandstand or a marquee with lunch etc .Be careful as some marquees are outside and behind grandstands . If none of that appeals or is likely to blow the budget there are plenty of places to buy snacks and sandwiches etc and a glass of champagne .

Keep in mind that whilst it is a terrifically exciting day with great racing there are a fair number of bogan yobbos who attend and hang out on the lawn in the public area drinking and getting messy or just crude . Come to think of it , a fair number of the same are in the members as well - only better dressed .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -