Search

Melbourne Cup

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melbourne Cup

Mwybe this is finally the year for me to attend the Melbourne Cup.

Am looking at reserved seats in the Hill Stand ahd the Concession ticket price is a lot less than the Adult ticket price. I was hoping it was a senior citizen discount but found the definition of Concession, shown below, which mentions a pensioner's card. I don't have one of those, best I could do is to shown an American Social Security or Medicare card or passport with my age.

What happens if I show up with a Concession ticket (on my iPhone) and don;t have the proper old guy ID? Am guessing the worst case would be that I would have to pay up to the Adult price, but idk for sure.

I saw something about a dress code on MC Day and was shocked to see "no jeans". Am not clear on how far-ranging that goes, if it was just VRC member's in a certain area or what. That is almost a deal-breaker for me (though if I had amission to an area that required a top hat and morning coat then I could go for that like I did for the Royal Enclosure at Ascot).

Am very much interested in seeing the racing, so infield general admission is not for me. I would probably be happier to wear jeans and sneakers to see the sprint stakes race on the 9th instead of wearing a suit on MC Day

Concession
Persons aged 17 and over as at 30 June in the racing season are classified as an adult, unless they hold valid A Concession identification. Concession applies to Pensioner Concession Card, Department of Veterans' Affairs card or Department of Veterans' Affairs issued Pensioner Concession Card* Full time student cards** Centrelink issued: Health Care Card (HCC)* *Primary cardholder only (not dependents) is entitled to the concession price. ** Does not include International Student cards
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 12:25 PM

I can't give you an answer but why not email Flemington Racecourse (you'll find details on Google) and ask them.
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 02:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Mrwunrfl
How wonderful - you'll love Melbourne and the Melbourne Cup Carnival is a great racing series. You've probably already checked out this link, but if not .... may be useful.
https://www.vrc.com.au/

https://www.vrc.com.au/melbourne-cup...carnival-2024/

In Australia, "Concessions" and "Pensions" refers to Australian government issued pensions/seniors/veterans and or student passes to our citizens. They do not apply to foreign nationals.

Rationale = Our citizens pay the taxes that supply the pensions, so they should be the ones to benefit from the concessions that attach to them.

That said, some places extend "Seniors" discounts to anyone who asks and looks as if they may qualify (being over 60). I'm not sure that would apply to the VRC, or what would happen if you're asked to supply evidence of qualification for the concession. You might find you'll be blocked online when buying tickets as they will/may ask for the Pension/Concession number.

It's not a zillion$ entry fee anyway - and factored into your total trip cost, a pittance, I'd think. Apply your USD/AUD FX exchange rate benefit & you’ll get a 30+% discount at the current rates 😉

As to "no jeans" - I'm sure you will have or could buy a nice pair of chinos or similar. It's summer in Australia, so you might find jeans too hot anyway.

Have fun and I do hope you come. If you would like help with any of your planning - ask away. The Australian Forum on Trip Advisor is a lot more active than this one - and we're a nice bunch over there, too.
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. I didn't email VRC because I figured (corrrectly) that someone here would give me a clue.

The seats that I am looking at are:
Adult $340.00 each\
Concession $255.00 each

I sure do like a discount so I had to ask. The difference is not quite a pittance but I get the point that it is not a lot in the greater scheme of things. Buying a seat for one person meant sitting in a higher row. The ones down front are only in pairs. So, then I figured I might have to buy two tix to get what I really want. And the second seat would have to be Adult, not Concession, so that I could transfer it to someone else.

Am assuming that I would not have trouble reselling a great seat online somewhere or out in front of the gate on the day. OTOH, I get a 50% discount from the two-ticket idea by just buying the one.

>>
Rationale = Our citizens pay the taxes that supply the pensions, so they should be the ones to benefit from the concessions that attach to them.

I think that is a circular argument. I get the idea of discounts to seniors on a fixed income or to students to make attending more affordable. Definitely exclude overseas foreigners because they can afford the regular price. Give a break to the locals who are their real customers, unlike the once-in-a-lifetime visitor from overseas.

I could see the taxpaying/pensioner explanation for the discount if it was required by law or VRC/Flemington got a bunch of government money.

Am happy about getting a senior rate on a hotel reservation with just proof of age required (Hilton Queen St). Having second thoughts about a 5-night stay there. Got an award ticket on Fiji Airways on their A350 with flat bed seats. Still have to figure out how to get down ujnder. Maybe from Japan.

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Jan 23rd, 2024 at 06:23 PM.
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 09:18 PM

I've PM'd you. And I'd take a chance and buy the two good tickets.
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bokhara2, for that. I will pull the trigger on those tix soon - I think the price goes up in Feb. I was busy today figuring out how to get to Oz. Booked an award ticket to Japan on JAL. Have just enough miles for a ticket from there to Australia, but the airfares are very reasonable and refundable with an acceptably small fee.
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 08:43 PM

Good! You’ll have a wonderful time 🤗
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

I have a lot of questions about the seating in Secrion 2 of the Hill Stand. I might have to find an Aussie racing forum or contact the VRC, but I'll list my questions here.

Section 2:
Category 1
– Seating located from row E onwards and under the roof line*

Category 2 – Seating located in rows A-D and not under the roof line*

*seating may be exposed to inclement weather

What's the chance of inclement weather? It is spring time, so Nov would be like May up here. The category 2 seats could get rained on, but am more concerned about those seats being in the sun all day. It looks like the stand faces east which is good. Will those cat 2 seats be in shade by early afternoon?

Caegory 1 and 2 seating areas are on different levels? Why are the Category 1 seatsn ($382) in Hill Stand Section 2 more expensive than Category 2 ($340). Row D looks ideal as long as I don't get a horrible sunburn.

Tickets: Lexus Melbourne Cup Day - Hill Stand Reserved Seating, Flemington | Tue, 5 Nov 2024, 12:00 pm | Ticketmaster AU

I guess my question really is about the weather. Am too excited to do a deep dive for the perfect seats, so no need to go to another forum or send an e-mail.

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Jan 25th, 2024 at 10:30 AM.
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 12:37 PM

Melbourne's weather is notoriously changeable. "Four Seasons in One Day" is the catch phrase and it's well earned.

Here's the official Met Bureau website: Australia's official weather forecasts & weather radar - Bureau of Meteorology
You can see past patterns and forecasts.

I've been in Melbourne for the VRC Spring Carnival when it's been warm & sunny; hot; drizzling in the morning & clear in the afternoon; a cold snap calling for winter clothes; and wet enough for a solid umbrella & raincoat.

I would want to be under the roof line in the stands. So do others & that's why they are more expensive.

All that said, this year's Melbourne Cup could well be the perfect Spring Day - but you won't regret the option of having some protection from the elements. You're not glued to the seats & can always wander around the grounds. You'll want to have a look at the horses as they come into the saddling yard, won't you?

Last edited by Bokhara2; Jan 25th, 2024 at 12:40 PM.
Old Jan 26th, 2024, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Oh. thanks, not what I wanted to hear but I have calmed down about buying tix now (really should be looking for French Derby tickets now). Yes, I would wander the grouinds - if the weather \s nice enough! Found a webpage with weather forecasts for the last three MC and that was not encouraging. Adding parasol, rain poncho to the Melbourne shopping list along with sport coat and trousers.

Fiji looks like it would be a nice stopover without having to travel far from NAN airport.
Old Jan 26th, 2024, 03:38 PM

Fiji can be a nice stopover for 3-4 days if you can add the time to your Itinerary & see a bit.

Less than that & I really wouldn’t bother. I’m not a stopover fan unless it’s somewhere I’m interested in visiting. I’d rather just do A to B & spend my time in B. If you’re just coming from LA, it’s not that long.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be too consumed with the Melbourne weather - it might be perfect. And who’s to say how it will be wherever else you’re going.

Fiji will be hot & humid. Unless it’s wet & hot 🤣
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 12:50 AM

actually the VRC does get government funds -eg state govt contirbuted 10 milliomn to build the new stand and I would bet that s not all theyve contributed.

Concession fairly well always means in receipt of a government pension even at the movies.Senior is different.

enjoy your day at the Cup
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

thanks, northie!

I got the lower level cat 2 seats, betting on good weather.
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 03:57 PM

we are betting on it too as we always have Cup day barbeques and its horrible in the rain .PS Ive neve r been to the Cup just the Derby.
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 02:16 PM

Northie, I've been a few times. The first was in 1976 with my Mum.
That was the year the G.General was drunk & swaying on his platform shoes. You know that feeling of not quite believing what you think you're seeing? Yep!

Other than that, it was a really good small-group trip organised by some racing friends and included visits to a couple of studs, lunches and dinners in interesting places - and great seats. You'd have to say that although seeing the Australian GG drunk isn't the best look, it was certainly entertaining, a conversation piece and an aide-memoir. I'll always remember what year I first went to the Melbourne Cup!
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 02:33 PM

Bokhara it was memorable. One of the Derby's went to was a great event -2 of our group owned the horse that won or aleast 2 of the legs .