Search

Melbourne airport to city centre

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melbourne airport to city centre

Hi
We arrive at Melbourne airport from Hong Kong at 7.30am on Tuesday Nov 1.Can you tell me the the cost of a taxi to the city centre or give details of any alternative modes of transport for this journey , baring in mind this is Melbourne cup day .
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 10:10 AM

Shuttle right in front of airport 20 min, drops you at southern cross station. $26au round trip, runs 24 hours day runs every fifteen min.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Perfect , thank you
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 10:51 AM

and then the shuttle also sometimes has further transfer from southern cross to your hotel
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 12:22 PM

I assume that is $26au per person round trip. Is a taxi ride cheaper if you have two people in the taxi? Of course you have to factor the roundtrip.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Ok , We are staying at the Novotel on Collins and there are two of us . So.... would it be cheaper to get a taxi ?
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 07:01 PM
tt7

Probably about $50+ to the Novotel from the airport. You can get an estimate here - http://www.silvertop.com.au/fare_estimator

Location of the Novotel is great - right in the middle of town, so an easy walk to the shops/trams/etc. etc.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to the Melbourne Airport website a taxi would be $81 return, I would have guessed more.
http://www.melbourneairport.com.au/T...alculator.html

There are details of the Skybus on the same website, $16 one way per adult or as above for a return fare. It says Skybus provides a complimentary transfer onward to your city hotel, maybe everyone piles off at Southern Cross, then those that want to keep going to a hotel get on the small shuttles that go around the city. The bus to the airport is a big bus.

It's about 20 min walk from Southern Cross station to the Novotel, straight walk up Collins St, or get the Skybus or a tram. But you'd have to buy a tram ticket of course.

So to answer your question a taxi is the expensive option, just like anywhere in the world, but it would be quicker than the bus.

Kay
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 01:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you , I am well sorted , it will be the Sky Bus and walk .
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 12:59 PM

Might want to rethink walk you are arriving at the Southern Cross station at the bottom of Collins and you will be walking up hill.
You can get a tram ticket (3.20 2 hour)on the tram anyone going up hill on Collins would work. Get off at Elizabeth street and its mid block. A case gets heavier for some reason going up hill <G>
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 04:59 PM
tt7

I don't often go to the Spencer Street end of town and even more rarely would I be walking from there along Collins, but I wouldn't have thought it was uphill? I guess I should go and try it! As for getting of the tram, either at Elizabeth Street or the next intersection at Swanston. If I had to guess, I would say Swanston was a tad closer to the Novotel? Either way, it's on the same side of the street as the tram from Spencer Street (Southern Cross) Station - either keep walking if you get off at Elizabeth or you'll pass it on the tram if you get off at Swanston, and then just walk back. Make sure to visit the Block Arcade, next door (but one) to the Novotel.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 12:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is also a gorgeous shoe shop almost opposite the Novotel, they have very expensive, beautiful shoes but the reason I go in there is to look up and admire the wonderful 1880's mouldings, cornices and decorated columns. It was once a very grand building, I believe one of the big banks years ago. If you are looking, it's an old grey stone building, not so grand outside but worth a look (next to the Lindt shop).

Kay
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 02:59 PM
tt7

Peter Sheppard, presumably? I know it well (or rather, my wife does ....).

The far end of Collins Street (the opposite end from Southern Cross Station) is known as the "Paris" end of Collins, so it's where you'll find all the high end outlets (Hermes, Gucci, Versace etc. etc.) if that's of interest. However, Melbourne really is the dining / shopping / sporting / cultural capital of Australia - though much of the shopping / restaurants / bars are in the myriad lanes and alleyways that criss-cross the downtown area. A lot of the restaurants and bars can be a bit hard to find - often up a grungy staircase, down in a basement or behind an unmarked door. Don't be put off by an unappealing staircase or alleyway - finding places is half the fun. Downtown Melbourne is a great place to wander around and see what you can find. The visitor information centre at Federation Square (opposite Flinders Street Station) is worth a visit once you arrive - lots of useful brochures etc. etc.

The easiest way to get around is walking or to hop on a tram. There's a free tram that circles the city centre. Alternatively, depending on how long you're here for, a weekly zone 1 metcard is $30.20. Buy one at Southern Cross, take the tram to the hotel and then hop on and off trams to your hearts content.