Transport from Melbourne (airport) to Ocean Grove

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Australia in April for a wedding, which is taking place southwest of Melbourne (in Barwon Heads/Ocean Grove.) While a family member has offered to pick us up at the airport, it is just far enough that we feel like we're really inconveniencing them, so we're trying to figure out if we can handle transportation on our own. I can only seem to find airport shuttles that go as far as Geelong. While we could get picked up there, or take a bus/taxi from there, we're hoping to solve the issue with a single mode of transportation if possible. Also, we are considering renting a car - my husband is English, so driving on the "wrong" side of the road won't be a huge issue, but relatives are concerned that after flying in from Boston, we will be too tired to safely deal with it. And truthfully, we would prefer to outsource the driving if possible. (There are 3 of us: my husband, my 9-year-old daughter, and me.) Any suggestions/insider knowledge? Thanks!
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 06:20 PM

take up the offer!
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 09:21 PM

The Airport Shuttle will take you to Geelong Station. From there you can connect on a McHarrys bus which service Ocean Grove, Queenscliff, Barwon Heads, Torquay etc
Check out this this link for timetable.
http://www.mcharrys.com.au/
If you have the address of where you are staying, email McHarrys and they will advise you of which route number you need to take
Alternatively you could get a taxi from Geelong Station (I have done this several times). Not sure of the exact cost to Ocean Grove currently, but probably $50 plus. You can book the taxi to meet you at the station, but I have always found several on the rank without any waiting.
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 07:54 PM

I would be suggesting taking the shuttle to Geelong Station and then have a family member pick you up from there. You are quite right that to the Airport from Ocean Grove is fairly time consuming but to pick you up from Geelong Station is not too much of an imposition - certainly under a 30 min easy drive.