Search

Looking for some good Canberra suggestions - where to go and what to do

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:21 PM
LN
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for some good Canberra suggestions - where to go and what to do

Okay - I know we're heading for multiple Australian cities and Canberra is on that list!

What should we NOT miss when in Canberra and where who you recommend first timers go?
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 06:50 PM

LN, thanks! As mentioned in another thread I've been suffering relevance deprivation lately, which has forced me to hatch plots with a gentleman from New Mexico to mislay our respective leaders.

OK, Canberra. First, go to www.canberratourism.com.au for an overview of of attractions, activities, accommodation, food etc.

Where to stay: the city is centred on Lake Burley Griffin. The commercial centre ("Civic&quot is on the north side of the lake and the "Parliamentary Triangle" area, which houses most of the national institutions, on the south side. If you don't plan to drive, somewhere in or near that area is best, but Civic, which is closer to the National Museum and the Australian War Memorial (both recommended) is also OK.

What else to see: depends on interests and any special exhibitions going at the time, but Canberra can give you a concentrated insight into Australia's history and culture. The National Gallery, Old Parliament house with its National Portrait Gallery and the new Parliament House are all worth seeing, and kids like the hands-on stuff at the National Science & Technology Museum. You'll get a great view from the observation deck on Telstra Tower, Black Mountain. If you're into flora, the nearby National Botanical Gardens are great - very extensive and nothing but Australian native plants. If you're into sport, you might enjoy a visit to the Australian Institute of Sport. Something on a more modest scale but which many visitors enjoy is the Calthorpe House in Red Hill, a perfectly preserved 1920s Californian bungalow-styled house, down to the player piano and the clothes in the closets. As I say, depends on what interests you.

If you plan to drive you could go further afield and see some classic Australian landscapes in the Brindabella Ranges to the south of the city, stopping at the Sidney Nolan Gallery on the way.

Eats: Civic is not very uninspiring - for mainly European-style food head for the Manuka shopping centre or nearby Kingston, near the Parliamentary Triangle. For mainly Asian, Dickson, 3-4 km north of Civic.

If you're feeling energetic, rent bikes and cycle through the beautifully landscaped Commonwealth Park.

If you go to Parliament House, and Parliament is sitting, you can observe the pols in session. However, I'm not sure if I'd run the risk of traumatising impressionable young children. (Only yesterday a Member remarked, as one of his colleagues left the chamber, "Looks like the collective IQ of this place has just gone up!&quot
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:27 PM

I agree with most of Neil_Oz. But you must not miss the Australian War Memorial - it has amazing exhibits (and actually has the world's largest collection of 20th century war memorabillia, according to a guide I spoke to). The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is really moving, and the new gallery, with Lancaster Bomber, Japanese mini-submarines etc, all with sound and light shows, will keep you very entertained. And if you are in to restaurants, don't miss a lovely place right on the south shore of the lake, between the High Court and the National Library, called Water's Edge. You gaze out across the lake to a mountain and parks and the city, and wherever they got their chef, they should make sure he never leaves! Parliament House is definitely worth a look, despite the politicians - it's built under a hill and is vast. The area around Parliament House and down to the lake is most restful, full of parks, and the Old Parliament House is definitely worth visiting. Get a good map - the road system is MOST unusual, going around in circles. If you have the money, stay at the town's best hotel, the art deco Hyatt Canberra Hotel. I have stayed there a few times, and it is quite special.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:54 PM

Wilberforce, I endorse your comments about the War Memorial 100%. It's also worth contemplating its solemn and somehow moving design from the outside - preferably at night, from the front, when it's lit up and framed by Mt Ainslie. I've lived within 15 minutes' walk of the place for 20 years and it still gets me in.

The restaurant you mention is called Watermark on the Edge - been there once and yes, the chef deserves a big tick. It's not exactly budget traveller country, likewise Ottoman Cuisine and The Boatshed. If around AU$20 for an entree and $35+ for mains makes you twitchy, think twice, otherwise go for it.

Of course, as advised in another thread, you don't have to add tips or state/local taxes in that. You may not be able to bring your own wine on Fri-Sat nights though. Another very good restaurant is Dijon, tucked away in the modest Ainslie shopping centre 2-3 km from Civic. If you fancy Chinese, try the Ruby Restaurant in Dickson (Cantonese, does a good stir-fried kangaroo or you can select a barramundi or mud crab from the tanks if you've had a win at the races). The nearby Pho Phu Quoc offers very good Vietnamese fare, try the Campfire Beef, or for Chinese-Malaysian, the Rasa Serang is good. I've never had a bad meal at any of these places (OK, I won't bring up the goat casserole and jellyfish salad, anyone can make a mistake).

If you fancy a mittel-european experience that happily ignores dietary good sense, check out the Charcoal Restaurant in London Circuit, Civic. Not exactly budget country either but not bad value - great steaks with forgotten favourites like bearnaise sauce and a terrific wine list.

The Hyatt is indeed a fine place - an original low-rise, vaguely art-deco 1920s hotel extended in complete sympathy with the original design and with almost nothing of your standard international chain atmosphere. Have afternoon tea there if nothing else, or a drink in the Members' Bar. Again, not for the budget traveller, but you might be able to score a special.

The circles were bequeathed to us by the original designers of the Canberra town plan, Chicago architect Walter Burley Griffin and his redoubtable wife Marion Mahoney Griffin. One is London Circuit, which circles Civic, and the other, which is messier, circles Capital Hill, the site of Parliament House. Other than those, I don't think Canberra presents any more challenges than any other unfamiliar city. But yes, do get a map. As you would in any city of 300K people.

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 01:23 AM

There used to be a rather nice Turkish restaurant in Pollywood and perhaps Neil can tell us if it is still there.
Canberra is a nice city - can get rather cold though or hot depending when you are there LN
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:21 AM
LN
Original Poster

You all are great!! You can never beat information like this.

What's amazing is that here in the states I live in the Washington DC area and work for the government - so yes, it would be interesting to see your government in action.

Are there any wineries or other unique areas of interest in the Canberra area?

Liz, when would a more moderate climate time period be to be in this region? November - March??

As for kiddies - forget it!! they've flown the coop!
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 11:45 AM

The only time it would not be pleasant in Canberra is mid summer and mid winter - the rest of the time it would be fine but in any case mid winter in Canberra is not cold in comparison to Washington.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 12:25 PM

If you're from DC you might feel the occasional touch of deja vu, LN. As far as attractions/activities are concerned I can't add much to the website I mentioned, so do check it out. Lanyon Homestead, a reminder of the graziers who pioneered the district in the mid-19th century, is worth a visit - the Nolan gallery is in its grounds. Wineries definitely - a fairly new but promising development around here.

I think that Turkish restaurant would be Ottoman Cuisine, in Barton - definitely not your average pide house.

Climate: autumn is great in Canberra, especially as the older parts of the city are thick with deciduous trees. Hot spells will happen in summer (like right now), but as the city is inland and about 600 metres above sea level it's a dry heat, IMO more bearable than the humidity you'll strike near the coast, and unlike heatwaves in some other cities the nights are mostly cool. Winter nights and mornings can be frosty - down to -5C (23F) or so - but the upside is usually a fine crisp day with a maximum of around 12C (53F). As elsewhere spring can be unpredictable and summer arrives relatively late. To keep this in perspective, though, compared to the winter snows and muggy summers of NE USA Canberra's climate is very moderate.

Hadn't heard "Pollywood" before, Liz. Must be out of touch. But don't forget, it's not us Canberrans who supply the pols who roost here for part of the year - the rest of Oz has to take most of the responsibility for that. Think of us as innocent bystanders.

LN, while you're here, take a spin past Government House in Yarralumla, the official home of the Governor-General, and see if you can see any signs of occupation. As I mentioned on another post, we seem to have mislaid him.

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 02:05 PM

Both spring (September to October) and autumn (March-May) are beautiful seasons in Canberra - mild and clear skies. I prefer to visit in autumn, when all the millions of European trees are in colour before shedding their leaves. And Watermark on the Edge has changed its name to Water's Edge (it's prices aren't as steep as those mentioned by Neil_Oz, but you can't take your own wine unless you want to pay big corkage charges - they have a terrific wine list, which is also a feature of a number of other Canberra restaurants. Other restaurants to visit include The Atlantic in Manuka, Art Espresso in Kingston and a place in Griffith shops whose name I can't remember. None of them have the water view of the place I mentioned above, but they all have excellent food and service). Also, Dijon, a very nice restaurant, has moved from Ainslie into the civic area, I am told. And yes, Ottoman Cuisine in Barton is the best modern Turkish place in town, or just about anywhere for that matter. As for wineries - plenty of them a few kilometres north-west around a place called Murrambateman. Just ask at a visitors centre or your hotel.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:18 PM
LN
Original Poster

Neil

You've mislaid the PM??? My goodness!! Have you tried a door-to-door search yet?

But come to think of it we have a VP that no one's seen much of since Election Day - maybe they're enscounced somewhere. If you do see our VP (I believe the name was Cheney or Chaney please don't send him home - you can keep "em!

We'll return the favor if we come across your PM.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 10:24 PM

Hi,
there is the Kamberra Winery (its on the Federal Highway, which is on the North side of Canberra - near "civic" the city centre. If you have a car, try driving out to Lake George where there is a winery (that's not a long drive, perhaps half an hour or so?) This is the road that leads to sydney (again the Federal highway)

There is a sensational Fijian/Indian restaurant on the Southside, in a suburb called "Pearce" - its called Rama's - delish.

I would also go to Gold Creek Village (which has things like Cockington Green, Old English Pub). This is also on the northside of civic.

Check out www.citysearch.com.au (canberra); www.canberratourism.com.au

Have to think about any other places...
Hope you enjoy your visit here...
Cheers
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 11:49 PM

Wilberforce has just proved that if you want to know something, don't ask a local - either that or my social life is suffering. I'll have to check my Visa statement for the Water's Edge bill, but I'll just rest with the statement that it's not for the budget diner.

Anyway, the winery at Lake George is called Madew. And if you get to Murrumbateman there's a restaurant called the Poacher's Pantry which I've heard good things about - www.poacherspantry.com.au. The Green Herring restaurant is also good, located in an old slab-hut former schoolhouse.

LN, you really MUST pay attention, as there'll be an exam on this when you enter the country! It's not the Prime Minister we've lost, it's only the Governor-General. This explains why the search parties have been a bit half-hearted - in the scheme of things he probably ranks about the same as your missing VP, except that he doesn't get to take over if the PM falls under a bus. I could go into the real reason he's adopted a low profile, but I'd just end up upsetting someone (again). For snapshot commentaries on Oz politics check Moir's cartoons in the Sydney Morning Herald (www.smh.com.au) and Pryor's in the Canberra Times (www.canberratimes.com.au), though some will be a little obscure to a visitor.

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 12:11 AM

We spent 3 days in Canberra last year and we enjoyed the afternoon at the Zoo the most. It is small but very, very good.
Don't miss it.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 05:57 PM

Apparently the Canberra winners of the Australian tourism awards were the Old Parliament House (with its National Portrait Gallery) and the Old Bus Depot Markets at Kingston, which I forgot to mention. I think the Australian War Memorial (www.awm.gov.au) won a lifetime achievement award. I also forgot the National Library, worth visiting if there's a suitable exhibition on. And the "National Science & Technology Centre" I mentioned will be easier to find under the name "Questacon".

On climatic differences: inland Australia (including Canberra) can certainly be hot in summer, and we're having our hottest February since 1968. In fact it's 36C (97F) on my back deck as I speak.

However, all is not as it seems. Most Sydneysiders are firmly convinced that Canberra ranks on par with Siberia and the Sahara in terms of fitness for human habitation. The reason for this is that, lacking thermometers and ignoring the evidence of their own senses, they believe that the "Sydney" temperatures they see on the TV weather reports apply to them. In fact, the official Sydney temps are taken at Observatory Hill, in the City and therefore close to the coast. The demographic centre of Sydney is over 20 km to the west, which means that half the population lives even further west of that point and in reality experiences greater extremes of cold and heat than the fortunate minority who live near the water. A corollary to this is that, being convinced that their town doesn't get cold in the winter, Sydneysiders tend not to heat their houses very well.

I grew up in a town some 55 km north-west of Sydney which is now effectively a dormitory suburb, and have lived in several Sydney suburbs. As a kid I well remember having to break a film of ice on the dog's water bowl so that he could have a drink (he wasn't smart enough to figure that out for himself), and baking in the summer heat.

The Sydney upside is that winter maxima are significanty higher than Canberra's. The Canberra upside is that we get four distinct seasons, which is nice, and brilliantly clear blue skies, even if sometimes you do have to wait for the fog to lift to see them. And I've certainly felt colder in Melbourne on a grey, damp, windy winter's day than in Canberra.

The fact is that Canberra's climate is hardly so extreme that it should daunt visitors from overseas, even if it may strike terror into the hearts of other Australians (you great wusses, you).

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 12:09 PM

Hi LN
If you like markets, you could also check out Gorman House Markets, Ainslie (just a very short stroll from Civic) They are local (some say "hippie&quot type of markets. Usually Saturdays (unless that's changed)
If your that way inclined, it wouldn't be bad to do a drive around all the embassies (which is in Yarralumla, can access near the Hyatt hotel).

As far as weather, gee Alan, that was quiet a synopsis! Perhaps too much time on your hands? (tongue in cheek aussie humour meant there only!).

Basically in Canberra it can be very warm to hot in summer (although our summers are not that long really), cold to v.cold in winter and mild to unpredictable in spring and autumn (mild to warm to cool). We definitely have distinct seasons, but really thats just a guide. I've been to other states in times when people have said its the rainy season, all it does is rain non-stop - and we didn't get one drop while we were there.

Have fun!
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 02:22 PM
LN
Original Poster

Ahhh-haaa. I am learning more and more about your capitol!

I don't believe I'll be coming in February - 97 fahrenheit is HOT!! So I think I'll wait until maybe November - hopefully the weather might be a tad cooler. Now please don't come back and tell me you have three feet of snow in November!! Do you get snow there? We do - generally Maryland is in a moderate clime but when it decided to hit - look out - it can drop 24 to 36 inches on the ground and no one around here knows how to drive in snow because -- everyone here is from somewhere else!!

You all are giving some great tips and it's truly appreciated.

I guess my next question might be: Where to go in Australia from Canberra. What other area do you like to visit? I've been to Tasmania, Sydney, Melbourne, GBR, and Uluru. But you've got one huge country there with lots to be seen - sort of like ours.

Thanks also for the great stories!
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 02:37 PM

Hi LN
Ok, how to answer the snow question. Generally, no it does not snow in Canberra (now having said that - it has snowed) but let me be clear, this is a rare event indeed! i think in the last 2 years, it "snowed" twice (one day in May of each year) and only enough snow to barely cover the ground! So I think I can safely say it doesn't snow here!

Don't be put off by it seeming hot in February - because today as I sit here its only about 20 degrees (and the maximum expected today is 27 degrees - and about 24 degrees over the next few days!) so, as I said before, go figure with weather!

November would be a nice time to come. Again, it won't be hot, but should be pleasantly warm (although can be unpredicable, I had only turned off my central heating off in early November the last 2 years!) But be sure, it won't be very cold (prehaps only in the evenings, but not below zero - more like around 10 degrees)

Excuse my ignorance - where is Maryland?

I'll have to have a ponder on where else to go. What are you interested in? As you say, there are lots of places to go, will depend on what your interested in seeing/doing.

Cheers
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 04:45 PM
LN
Original Poster

Well NO snow sounds good - since I no longer ski I no longer have a need for snow. And yes, November sounds a bit better.

As to Maryland - well it's a Middle Atlantic state on the eastern side of our nation's capitol Washington DC. We're on quite a large bay of water - the Chesapeake Bay and then the state also goes to the Atlantic Ocean. Maryland is a small state but there are mountains on the western portion and seaside on the eastern.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 05:28 PM

It's not Alan with too much time on his hands, chris7, it's me.

LN, not sure if you actually plan to potter about the area by car, but for a thumbnail sketch - Canberra is surrounded by the undulating grazing country of New South Wales' southern tablelands, so in the immediate vicinity (say 100 km radius) you'll find typical Australian country towns. The sort of places Canberrans drive to for a change are typically 2-3 hours away, primarily Sydney (290 km/3 hrs), Batemans Bay on the NSW south coast (160km/2 hours) and the Snowy Mountains (say 3 hours to Thredbo Village). The South Coast offers a string of beautiful, clean and relatively unspoilt Pacific beaches and tourist/fishing towns. The Snowy Mountains do have ski resorts but are a nice area to visit at other times of the year, particularly in spring when the wildflowers are out.

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 03:07 PM
LN
Original Poster

Thanks again Neil.

The Snowy Mountain are now added to the itinerary.

This thread has been very helpful to me and I completely enjoyed the humor that was given with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -