Search

Looking for motel recommendations on SI of NZ

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2011, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for motel recommendations on SI of NZ

Hello again,

You all have been very helpful in planning our TWO month visit to the SI.Now we are imposing on you again. Our motels have been tentively booked and we would like your opinions of them. They are as follows:

Christchurch - Adorian Motel
Hanmer Springs - Greenacres Chalets Motel
Kailoura - Alpine View Motel
Blenheim - Colonial Motel
Motueka - Motueka Garden Motel
Nelson - Trailways Motor Inn
PunKiki - PunKiki Resort
Franz Josef - Punga Grove Motor Lodge
TeAnau - Anchorage Motel
Dunedin - Cable Court Motel

Since we are not driving we asked that the motels be in center city so we could walk to public transprortation. Hopefully our request was granted. In case you are wondering, we are going to Queenstown and Wanaka, but are staying in Timeshares there. We will be renting a car while staying ther since we will probably a distance from public transportation.

Any information you can give us will be appreciated.

eileennz
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 06:25 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
The only one on your list that I've stayed at is Punga Grove in Franz Josef and it's been a few years, but we enjoyed our stay there.

The Bella Vista Motel chain is a good option as well.

Any reason you're not renting a car for the entire trip? There's so much to see and do in the outer lying areas, much if which won't be easy to reach w/o a car. You could potentially be missing quite a bit as the best bits of NZ are well outside of the town centers and public transport is quite limited in some areas.
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:04 AM

I have never stayed at Cable Court Motel in Dunedin, but I am familiar with the location. It is not the quietest place in town, but extremely convenient, within easy walking distance to the Otago Museum and the Dunedin Botanic Garden. These are both top tourist spots that are just as popular with the locals. Also, you will positioned right at the main arteries going into and out of town, and out to the Otago Peninsula, that is, if you decide to rent a car while you are there.

You will also be close to the university, though a visit to the university probably would not be a priority for you, unless you are college professors interested in seeing a NZ university, or parents interested in sending a child to college here. This being said, there is some nice architecture on campus, such as the clock tower, and some nice outdoor sculpture.

You will also be just a block and a half from George Street, which is the city's main shopping street, and it leads to the Octagon (I-Site tourist information is steps away, the City Art Gallery is also located at the Octagon). If you have cooking facilities, you will be close to two excellent supermarkets, New World Market on Great King Street and Countdown on Cumberland Street. In fact, you can swing by both of these on your way to or from the Octagon/I-Site.

If you walk down Cumberland Street, which is where your hotel is located, to Stuart Street, you turn to the right for the Octagon, to the left for the railway station (a must-see).

There are also a few churches in the city centre worth popping into, if you enjoy architecture: St. Paul's Cathedral at the Octagon; First Church of Otago at Moray Place; St. Joseph's Cathedral, and Knox Church.
http://www.firstchurchotago.org/heri...-first-church/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Jos...edral,_Dunedin
http://www.knoxchurch.net/Tour.html
http://www.visit-dunedin.co.nz/historic_buildings.html

There are plenty of good restaurants offering all types of cuisines in all price ranges near to where you are staying. I think you made a good choice.

By the way, Dunedin has a great bus system. So for areas you cannot walk to, such as St. Clair Beach, you need only hop on the bus. For the Otago Peninsula (Penguin Place and Royal Albatross Centre), you will need to sign up for a tour at I-Site or rent a car.
http://www.orc.govt.nz/Information-a...us-routes-map/

Bring along some ear plugs. They are cheap (about 33 a pair) and they might help you sleep more soundly. I use them every night, even though I live in a quiet semi-rural area. In the morning, I hear the cries of red-tailed hawks, after dark, the howling coyotes.
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 10:07 PM

I meant to say earplugs were 33 CENTS a pair!
Old Dec 25th, 2011, 06:56 AM

We are also travelling in the SI at this time, and I have been using Trip Advisor to review accommodation. If you haven't looked at that website, well worth it, as people who have stayed give reviews and the feedback is worth reading. Hope that helps.