Lodging in Akaroa

Oct 11th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Lodging in Akaroa

We will be spending three nights in Akaroa at the end of a 4 week tour of the South Island. I would appreciate comments on Loch Hill Country Cottages and Kokopu Estate. The former has some very negative comments on Trip Adviser and Kokopu Estate looks great but has no rating or comments.
Oct 12th, 2008, 02:18 AM

maugri -

Good for you for spending some quality time on Banks Peninsula; seems few tourists give it more than a day.

Can't help with your accommodation question as we stayed in the Blacksmith's Cottage in Duvauchelle, which is a 10 minute drive from the township of Akaroa (enjoyed it by the way, very peaceful).

When I search for Loch Hill Country Cottages, I'm directed to a site that states 'Akaroa Cottages formerly Loch Hill Cottages'. Same place?

Highly recommed walking Onawe Peninsula (just down the road from Blacksmith's Cottage) if you like to walk - great views from the top.

Let me know if you need more ideas on what to do while on the peninsula.
Oct 13th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Melnq8 you really are a great fund of information on NZ. I think we'll go with Kokopu Estate. Do you have any recommendations for accommodation in Dunedin? And one more question! We are thinking of driving from Motueka to Fox Glacier in one day. Is that sensible?
Oct 13th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Hi maugri -

I haven't stayed in Dunedin for several years - have just passed through on my most recent visits, so can't really recommend accommodation there.

It's certainly possible to drive from Motueka to Fox Glacier in a day, but it's a loooong day, so get an early start (~470 km).

I consulted my trip reports and found that it took us nine hours with stops to drive from Franz Josef to Golden Bay one year. Golden Bay is near Takaka, which is separated from Motueka by Takaka Hill. In other words, about 45 minutes past Motukea.

Fox Glacier is about 45 minutes past Franz Josef (south), so you're looking at a similar drive.

For a really nice drive, you might consider leaving Motueka via the Motueka Valley Highway, which is one of my favorite drives. It's spectacular during the fall, but a pretty drive any time of year.
Oct 13th, 2008, 03:50 PM

Just to be clear, the nine hour route I'm talking about -

Motueka Valley Highway (which joins SH 6 at Kohatu), SH 6 towards Murchinson, at Inangahua Junction, SH 6 breaks off to Westport. We took 69 to Reefton and picked up 7 to Greymouth near Reefton. From Greymouth it's a straight shot down the West Coast to Fox Glacier.

If you'd like to see Punakaiki (Pancake Rocks on the way), you'll need to stay on SH 6 to Westport and head south from there. This will add time to your drive, but it's worth the detour.
Oct 14th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, maybe we're rushing a bit, will think about breaking the journey somewhere, perhaps Hokitika.
Oct 14th, 2008, 02:17 AM

Or perhaps you might consider an overnight in Punakaiki if you plan to go that way.