Lodging and Getting TO Chiang Mai

Jul 22nd, 1997, 06:35 PM
Colin Chan

Lodging and Getting TO Chiang Mai

I will be hopping up to Chiang Mai from Bangkok in mid-September.
Any recommendations for where I can stay in Chiang Mai. Money is not a problem though I would prefer some thing more rustic and reasonable.
I would be taking the train up to CM... but are there any OTHER ways to get to/from CM besides the EXPENSIVE Thai airways flight?

Jul 24th, 1997, 05:11 PM
Christopher

I would suggest looking at Let's Go Southeast Asia for hotel info. in CNX (Chiang Mai). Also, I didn't think that airfare was high in that market. Try calling a travel agent and see what he/she can do.

I am going in November to Bangkok and Chiang Mai. I'd love to hear how your trip goes!

Jul 27th, 1997, 11:46 PM
Paul

Colin. We've travelled by train to CM. The day train takes ALL day. It's an air-conditioned service but why waste the day? Bus travel is available, BUT Thai bus drivers go like crazy and the accident rate is high. Buy you air ticket as an add-on to your international ticket and it's usually discounted to not much more that the train. CM is great. Take an elephant ride, even if only for an hour or so. Gold jewellery prices are generally much better in CM. Before you go get a good Guide Book - Fodors or Lonely Planet. Have a great time!!

Jul 28th, 1997, 05:52 PM
Ed Moylan

I was in CNX two weeks ago. The airfare I arranged in the US was $133US RT from BKK. It may be cheaper now with the floating Baht. For hotels, I stayed at the Chaing Mai Plaza . It is 2 blocks from the night market and rated deluxe. I paid $40US/night by reserving and paying through the internet site of the largest travel agency in Thailand, Diethelm Travel. The rack rate was $80/nt. Also stayed at the Royal Orchid Sheraton in Bangkok for $123/nt. through diethelm. It was a fabulos hotel on the river for the price. They confirm vial e mail and you send credit card # by fax. They then send the vouchers directly to the hotels with confirmation nubmers bach to you by email. Everything worked without trouble. If you have any questions, e-mail me. Site of DT is www.diethelm-travel.com Good luck!

Jul 30th, 1997, 08:23 PM
Debra

We stayed at a lovely hotel in Chaing Mai in 11/91 - the River View Lodge. The address and number I have from an old tourist brochure is:
28 Charoenprathet Rd
tel# 271110

i think it was about $65/night at that time.

Family run small hotel on the river, away from the noisy, dusty streets. the owner helped us arrange airfare and additional travel arrangements for our travel to the islands in the south and made other helpful recomendations. It also turns out that the owners child was born in our city while they were visiting a brother in the us (turns out we knew the brother) small world!!!

if youwant any additional information please e-mail me directly - have a GREAT time!

Aug 2nd, 1997, 05:24 PM
Davide Baldoni

i went to Chiang Mai 3 years ago
I slept in a comfortable guest house "the north top guest house" placed in the heart of the town,single cleaned rooms whit toilet inside and swimming pool, you can plan also trekking around the mountains (i suggest it to you)
The price? very low!
we were two and we payed less then 20 USD a night for a double room

Aug 2nd, 1997, 05:25 PM
Davide Baldoni

I slept in a comfortable guest house "the north top guest house" placed in the heart of the town,single cleaned rooms whit toilet inside and swimming pool, you can plan also trekking around the mountains (i suggest it to you)
The price? very low!
we were two and we payed less then 20 USD a night for a double room

Aug 2nd, 1997, 05:33 PM
Davide Baldoni

The price? very low!
we were two and we payed less then 20 USD a night for a double room.
Go to Kao Sarn Road in Bangkok and book a place on a VIP bus. it's very cheap and confortable
you travel at night sleeping in a comfortable long chair.
the buses are new whit air conditionig inside and toilet.
Good luck and enjoy yourself

Oct 26th, 1997, 04:18 AM
G Moore

Colin - did you go to Chaingmai? If so, e-mail me and let me know how it was. Thanks, G Moore