Lee Ann, need your help regarding LOTR

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lee Ann and anyone else that can help. NOt strictly a travel question , but I know you will lead me in the right direction.

I'm going to the theatre production of LOTR here in Toronto. It's in Toronto and going to London next year.
Anyway, I received free tickets and would like very much to enjoy the production.

I'm not into these type of movies and have tried to watch them. I don't like battles.

Even before I went to NZ I tried but didn't get far.
Please don't tell me to perservere....

But would someone be willing to provide cheat sheets,and tell me the story line . I want to learn a bit to encance my enjoyment. Can you give me a basic crash course, or tell me where I could find a crash course on the internet. I don't have time to watch 9 hours of movies eitehr!

I know it's about MIddle Earth and a ring and that's all I know..

Please help, in 200 words or less!!! haha..
Or send me an email to [email protected]

Old May 6th, 2006, 10:01 PM

Now that I've figured out the secret to posting here again (I have to do it from Mr. Pickle's desktop screen), I'll give it a go.

First - what a lovely gift!

You'll probably get some kind of synopsis in your theatre program, and I'm not sure how much of the plot has been left out, but, basically...

It's a story about good vs. evil; love; death; sacrifice; honor; loyalty; classic themes that Tolkien pulled from ancient myths and some Christian symbolism to make a sort of mythology for England.

Frodo Baggins, a hobbit (a race of small, peace-loving creatures) is given a ring by his uncle, who found it on a journey years ago.

Unbeknownst to anyone, the ring is a great ring of power which Sauron, the Dark Lord, had lost a couple of thousand years before. Over time, he has regained much of his strength, and the only thing he needs to completely dominate Middle-Earth is this ring.

Frodo, with three of his hobbit friends, volunteers to take the Ring to Rivendell, where he hopes to be able to hand it off to someone braver and wiser who can better deal with its dangers.

Eventually, a fellowship of nine forms from the races of Middle-Earth to help Frodo travel to Mordor, Sauron's stronghold, and destroy the Ring.

Let's see, that gets you through the first half of Fellowship of the Ring...

The Fellowship meets a variety of people along the way, are split up when one of the men tries to take the Ring for himself...Frodo and his friend/servant, Sam, meet up with Gollum, a hobbitlike creature who once possessed the Ring...boy, it's hard to summarize 1000 pages in one post!

One thing you might try is picking up the books at your local library and reading the synopsis at the beginning of The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

Does that help at all?

Lee Ann
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Lee Ann, thank you so much! I really appreciate it. And welcome back. I'm glad you figured out how to post here again. It's always nice to see your posts.

Ok, so now I have the general idea. I did watch a bit of it last night, so I know who Frodo is.

Great idea about going got the library. I will do that.

Yes, it is a lovely gift. My niece is very excited about going to the play.

Thanks again.
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Lee Ann, the theatre production was fabulous! I really enjoyed it.
The costumes and stage sets were absolutely amazing.
Thanks for helping to make it better ofr me.
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:54 PM

You're welcome, Kodi! I'm glad I could help.

Lee Ann