LAX-SYD for $599 roundtrip

Feb 21st, 2006, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

LAX-SYD for $599 roundtrip

On United Airlines, for travel through March 31. With taxes and fees it is $712. UA just sent out a targeted e-mail with 10% discount e-certificates. So, the net cost would be $652. Wish I could go. But if you've been thinking about it now might be the time to pull the trigger.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:10 PM

Thnak you mrwunrfl. I wish I could go too!!!! What a great fare!
Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Am wondering if their sale had anything to do with Air Canada starting LAX-Oz (SYD, I think) nonstops. Maybe not, I read on flyertalk about lots of empty seats on UA in coach while the FFers filled business class.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:07 PM

I believe that Qantas is starting Sydney-Vancouver services this year, but will be saved from competition from Singapore Airlines. The staunchly pro-free trade Australian Government has refused SQ rights on Australia-North America routes.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:10 AM

On the subject of airfare, does anyone know when prices to/from Oz late in the year (after Christmas) will come down, or even IF they will come down? Hope to travel sometime after the holidays through the first couple weeks in January, on Qantas, from anywhere on the west coast which is the best price.

The Vancouver idea sounds wonderful as we live about an hour south of there in the US. Any more details on that Neil?
Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

I don't know about Qantas but United had a fare sale for departures from 12/24 (maybe was 12/22) thru 12/31. Earliest return date was January 12. They had decent award availability at the time, too.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:23 PM

inthechips2 - all I remember is an article in the Sydney press late last year which wasn't strong on detail. I've just hunted around on their website, though, and can't find any press release to that effect. Their route maps show YVR-LAX (codeshare) than LAX-wherever. Sorry. Could I have dreamed it?

mrwnrfl, that's cartainly a good price. To be frank, though, I'd want a discount to fly UA again after our last experience. In fairness that was 9 years ago and they could have improved.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:21 PM

Daughter said her UA experience last year was miserable - not sure exactly why. I can't earn miles flying them or Air NZ as I accumulate and spend freely my AS miles so need to hold out for Qantas, which we were very pleased with on our trip.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:37 PM

The problem with our United SYD-SFO/LAX-SYD flights was the tired, verging-on-elderly and unhelpful cabin crew. It was the only problem, but it's what stays with you. They weren't happy in their job and it showed, as well it might. For hours I avoided pressing the call button out of respect for the FAs' varicose veins. When I did, the lady who eventually showed up was clearly put out with me. I got the impression I'd disturbed her nap.

The situation was worse on our international flights than on domestic runs, where the FAs were at least younger and more energetic. I assume that the former were winning the bidding war for international routes by virtue of seniority, although why they wanted to was a mystery.

The final straw was having to watch a United commercial on the in-flight movie system, telling us what good service we were getting.

I'm concerned that if we were to fly the friendly skies on our next trip to the US, 10 years down the track, we'll find the same FAs, equipped with walkers. This isn't ageism - flying international routes makes this a young(-ish) person's job.

My daughter also reported that when her prior request for a vegetarian meal wasn't honoured she was treated as an unwelcome pest, with no attempt to find a work-around.

- Neil
Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

You want a discount, you get a discount. On travelocity right now, they show fares for travel through June, including the $5 travelocity fee but not including taxes and fees. From LAX the prices are:
$604 on United
$803 on Air New Zealand
$893 on Qantas

Ten years down the track United might not be around. Love them or leave them, I don't care.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:42 PM

I can be bought, mate. On present indications we're not leaving for the States until late August, so I'll see what things are looking like for then. But maybe the reverse-direction fares (i.e. Sydney-originated travel) are higher?
Feb 24th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

The SYD-LAX fares are higher. Same conditions as before: now thru June, $5 fee, fare only:
$1009+ Air NZ
$1039+ Qantas
$1111+ United
You ossies must all be rich.
Feb 24th, 2006, 01:31 PM

I wish.