COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

kiwies..

Old Jan 16th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

kiwies..

Hi to all,

Need advise on our tour calender,

Day 1 - 23 January 2009
Late Arrival in Christchurch,
Balloon Adventures Up Up and Away Ltd
Punakaiki
Punakaiki Horse treks

Day 2 - 24 January 2009
Hokitika

Day 3 - 25 January 2009
Fox Glacier
The Helicopter Line Fox Glacier
Wanaka
Stuart Landsborough's Puzzling World

Day 4 - 26 January 2009
Queenstown
AJ Hackett Bungy
Kawarau Jet

Day 5 - 27 January 2009
Te Anau
Doubtful Sound or mildford Cruises

Day 6 - 28 January 2009
Dunedin
Cadbury World

Day 7 - 29 January 2009
Oamaru
Oamaru Blue Penguin Colony
Twizel
Lord of the Rings Gondor Location
Transport options from Twizel
Lake Tekapo

Day 8 - 30 January 2009
Christchurch
Ko Tane The Maori Experience

Day 9 - 31 January 2009
Kaikoura
Whale Watch Kaikoura Ltd

Day 10 - 1 February 2009
Wellington

Day 11 - 2 February 2009
Napier
Classic Sheepskins

Day 12 - 3 February 2009
Rotorua
Agrodome
Hells Gate Thermal Reserve
Skyline Skyrides Gondola, Restaurant and Luge

Day 13 - 4 February 2009
Auckland

Day 14 - 5 Febuary 2009
Back Home

If the any comment, do feel free to comment.

rgds.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 01:56 PM

Hi eg5301 -

Is this a self-drive holiday?

Do I understand correctly that you plan to arrive in CHCH late on Day 1, take a balloon ride, drive to Punakaiki, then horse ride in Punakaiki?

I'm not sure how you're going to accomplish this. For one thing, CHCH to Punakaiki is a 302 km drive, which is about 4.5 hours.

Day 3 is also rather ambitious. Even if the weather cooperates and you're able to take a morning helicopter ride, the drive to Wanaka is 264 km, which will take about 3:45 w/o stops, and there's plenty of reasons to stop.

Day 4 - Don't forget to factor in the 117 km, 90 minute drive from Wanaka to Queenstown.

Day 5 - Don't forget to factor in the 291 km, 4 hour drive from Queenstown to Te Anau ONE WAY.

Day 6 - Te Anau to Dunedin is a 290 km, four hour drive. That's a long way to go for a chocolate tour.

Day 7 - Dunedin to Oamaru is a 404 km, 5:45 drive. The penguins come out at dusk, so that leaves you virtually no time to drive the 146 kms, two hours to Twizel before dark, let alone continue on to Lake Tekapo.

Day 8 - Lake Tekapo to CHCH is 226 kms, 3:15.

Day 9 - CHCH to Kaikoura is 185 ksm, about 2:30 EACH WAY.

Day 10 - I assume you're flying from CHCH to Wellington? Don't forget the drive from Wellington to Napier is 323 km, about 4:30.

Day 11 - the drive from Napier to Rotorua is 223 km, about three hours.

Day 12 - the drive from Rotorua to Auckland is 234 kms, 3:20.

I'm sorry, but this itinerary doesn't make much sense to me. You'll be spending all of your holiday time in a car or bus, and you'll have virtually no time to spend in the places you want to visit.

I suggest you start over, whittle down your stops and perhaps limit your two weeks to one island. I think you'll be happy you did.

Good luck.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM

I agree with previous poster. I'm exhausted just looking at your itinerary.

As is, you'll be driving and checking things off your list instead of enjoying any of these beautiful places. Maybe you enjoy that kind of trip -- but I prefer to really see these places and the highlights of what they have to offer.

I'd spend three days in Queenstown (being sure to include a day in Skipper's Canyon) and two or three days in Rotorua (including Waimango Volcanic Park and a Maori hangi). I used to rush from sight to sight. I took great pictures and saw "everything" but I never experienced really being in any of the places -- I only saw the top tourist attraction and then drove off. Now I prefer using a place as a base, rather than moving on every night.

I'd skip Christchurch and Wellington. They're very pleasant cities and I enjoyed them -- but unless you want to visit museums, they wouldn't be on my list of "must-sees." I can't comment about Dunedin or Oamaru as I haven't been there.

Good luck. You'll have a wonderful time.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Correction on my post above, the drive from Queentown to Te Anau is two hours, then it's another two hours to Milford.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 10:30 PM

I was wondering how you were going to manage the Christchurch to Punakaiki on the 1st day, this would be impossible unless you are going to drive all night. Are you going to actually have any time to relax and take time out to look at the scenery.