Reload this Page >

Kid friendly restaurants in Sydney?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 08:47 PM
Mike Holsinger

I'm in Sydney now on business and will be returning at Christmas with my family. It doesn't seem like I see a lot of menus that American kids would enjoy. Though the food is usually quite good, are there restaurants that families in Sydney enjoy more than others?

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 09:24 PM
LizF

I am a stickler that children should eat whatever they are given if the food is nourishing. However I know that some parents don't mind having children dictate terms to them when it comes to food. <BR>When you say "American Kids would enjoy" what exactly do American Kids enjoy other than the usual greezy, fried garbage that is usually served up at fast food outlets? You have to give us some idea

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 10:26 PM
tani

One of MY American kids eats fresh veggies, fruits, tofu, miso soup, and whole grain bread, given a choice. the other loves french fries, vegetable soup, sashimi, mango smoothies, and gruyere cheese sandwiches. Her best friend, fresh from Australia, prefers Big macs, cheesy chili fries, and Coca cola. So what? <BR>All kids have some weird food favorites, (don't you?)but most prefer stuff without a lots of sauces and fairly simple seasonings.<BR>To answer your question, Mike: <BR>When we were in Sydney, we all really enjoyed a commuter/bistro place right on Circular Quay called City Express. Their pumpkin soup was incredible. We also enjoyed a big food court in the basement of the shopping center attached to the Victoria bldg. We all hated the food in the restaraunt that spins on top a high rise that contained a virtual adventure (sorry, forgot the name.)

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 02:37 AM
Alan

Hi, Mike! Tani is referring to Centrepoint Tower, and I would agree that this is certainly not a children's choice. Anyway, the prices would have you turning purple if they took one bite and left the food on their plate!<BR>I would also have to agree with Tani that the various food courts around the city would probably be the best bet for families, as there is a sample of every kind of cuisine you can imagine, and it's all there for you to look at before you buy. My kids also love Govinda's at Kings Cross, which is mild Indian vegetarian, served buffet style, and extremely reasonably-priced. Also, don't overlook the Clubs.... they are certainly child-friendly as long as you don't wander into the restricted gambling sections, and tens of thousands of Australian families eat in them as often as they do at home. It's not haute cuisine, but it's a step up from the Burger Kings and McDonalds which attract the rest of the Aussie families, at the expense of their waistlines and their appreciation of what food is!

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 02:17 PM
Rhonda

Mike, we've always taken our kids to the restaurants of our choice. There's always something they enjoy on the menu, be it good ol' spaghetti, calamari or soup. Just get there a bit earlier, 6 or 6.30, to appease their hunger. I also found having a pack of cards in my bag came in handy once or twice. When my children were much younger they enjoyed Jordons at Darling Harbour where they give crayons and colouring-in paper to them.<BR><BR>Perhaps do a search of child friendly restaurants here:<BR>http://sydney.citysearch.com.au/<BR><BR>

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 03:09 PM
Mike

Many thanks for all the good advice, everyone. (Back in the USA on my home computer.) LizF: To make one notion quite clear, this is not a quest to appease spoiled, fussy eaters. Most of the places I visited were heavily seafood oriented (not many kids' favorite - at least in the USA), and additionally, they were menus that offered pretty ambitious presentations (fish with the heads still on, etc.) No, my kids aren't into "Greezy" food, and in our family we respect each other enough to seek out experiences we all enjoy. If you call that dictating terms, I'd suggest you re-consider.<BR>Finally, since you asked, my kids enjoy fairly straightforward preps of basic foods - a nice chicken breast, maybe, or some beef. They enjoy Italian food, basic pizzas, nothing too fancy.

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 03:23 PM
LizF

Mike:<BR>Your best bet then would be the clubs i.e. Rugby League clubs, bowls Clubs and places like that where for a small price you can all get good food. I have a friend in Atlanta and when she, her son and daugher in law together with their 2 children came over here everone had to dance attention on the youngest who wouldn't eat anything other than MacDonalds - likewise my own family who came out from the UK with 3 children who also insisted in eating at MacDonalds whilst we were travelling and as we adults refuse to eat that rubbish it was a PIA come mealtimes. Had they been my own children they would have either eaten where I went or not at all and yes I considered them spoilt brats and wished that they were not with us - as did my friend from Atlanta did with her Grandchild.<BR>ALL restaurants will cater for children's less than adventurous tastes if you ask them to. They would be only to happy to make something plain for them but as one other person suggested, go earlier so that they have the time.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 11:14 PM
Marie

I know what you mean!!!We have 2 kids and we like going out to eat and they like coming out too.We find that most places in Sydney will prepare food with the sauces on the side or they will not garnish the food(with yucky "green' stuff if you ask when ordering,You wont have any problems really...most even have kids menus...have fun.