Reload this Page >

Just returned Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Diaz

Just returned 9 day package vacation with Islands in the Sun. <BR> <BR>Flew: Air New Zealand US-Tahiti <BR> Air Tahiti between Islands <BR>Hotels: Soffitel Maeva Beach (Tahiti) <BR> Soffitel in Moorea <BR> Soffitel Marara in Bora Bora. <BR> <BR>During my planning, I saw posting asking advise on whether people should opt for Hawaii or Tahiti and FP. I must say that our vacation was spectacular because we needed a detox (from rat race and big city)but if you are looking for all sorts of activities, French Polynesia is not the place. There are some activities but not all sorts. <BR> <BR>Went from April 13-April 22. <BR>Can provide info on weather, hotels (also had lunch in hotel Bora Bora),tour company and tour package, food entertainment, mosquitos. Let me know. <BR> <BR>

Old May 1st, 2001, 08:30 AM
Griff

Hey Diaz, <BR>I am staying at the Sofitel on Moorea in July. Send me all the info you can about your stay there and about the things you did on the island. Thank You.

Old May 1st, 2001, 10:44 AM
alyce

I'll be in Tahiti in July. I'd love some advice! Thanks!

Old May 3rd, 2001, 06:04 PM
Wendy

Am thinking of FP vacation. Wondering what you mean by not many activities. What did you find to do there? Thank you for any info.

Old May 4th, 2001, 12:33 PM
Diaz

Well, from our researched we learned and expected that there wasn't much to do, which was perfect for us because we just wanted to get away from it all. For example, if night life is a big thing for you, Moorea, Bora Bora and the other Islands is definitely not the place to go. Yes there are the Hotel shows we you get at most upscale hotels and we saw many of them. I have never been to Hawaii but I understand they are similar to those shows there. In Moorea, we read a lot, hang out by the beach at our hotel (Soffitel), went on a snorkeling trip and an around the Island tour both as part of our packaged deal. They also rent those water scooter type things(slip my mind).The Soffitel is very nice, relatively speaking. You might want to know that I read a blurb about how Soffitel is going to upgrade their hotel in Moorea to be more comparable with the Soffitel Marara in Bora Bora which was great. Soffitel in Moorea was not bad, I can can see the need for improvement once we got to stay at their hotel in Bora Bora. I must say the in Moorea the grounds were very nice. What I particularly liked about the Soffitel in both Moorea and Bora Bora was the intimate "hut" look. I know that there are other similar hotels with the "hut" look but there are also some hotels similar to hotel row. <BR> <BR>Bora Bora was spectacular. I repeat spectacular! I have never seen so much turqouise water for miles on end. There, we did some more reading, We went of a shark and sting ray feeding excursion, some snorkeling and more reading. You can however, do a circle Island Tour, safari type tours, a helicopter island tour and a couple other things. You can so sailing,canoing that I remember of. <BR> <BR>In Tahiti, We did an around the Island tour which took all day and which include a visit to the Paul Gaugauin Musuem which was just ok.This musuem does not contain any originals. And lots of reading and relaxing!!

Old May 4th, 2001, 06:57 PM
Carole

Would really like to know who you hired for your circle island tours, shark/ray feeding tour, AND about the mosquitos! (Leaving for FP ourselves May 22) I understand the money thing is pretty simple to convert in your head?

Old May 5th, 2001, 05:54 PM
Bob

Just returned today from one week at the Sheraton Hotel on Moorea. The beach bungalows are outstanding! You gotta see em if you don't stay there. A great, quiet place to kick back and enjoy the island.

Old May 7th, 2001, 11:16 PM
Diaz

Carole, your question is a little tricky. Reason being is because although we bought our vacation package with Islands In The Sun (www.islandsinthesun.com)which were great, I believe they subcontract some of these excursions to local tour groups and it varies from Island to Island. I believe some of our excursions were subcontracted to Alfred Tours. Depending on which hotel you stay, you might be able to sign up through them if in fact it is not the hotel doing the tours. Hope this helps. An additional tid bit, you actually get a better exchange rate with traveler's checks than cash. Previous experience in other countries always gave us a better exchange rate with cash but not the case in Tahiti.

Old May 29th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Diana

Diaz: I would like to know how you liked using Islands in the sun- we are having a ton of trouble planning our honeymoon and would love some expert advice! We are debating between the carribean and tahiti/bora bora- and was there really not much to do on the activity side?? We love water sports! <BR>thanks for any help!

Old May 31st, 2001, 08:06 AM
julie

I, too, just returned from FP..we are not honeymooners. Our feeling, in retrospect, is that you can have a similar experience, and more value for your money by going elsewhere. It is a long way to travel for a beach, and everything is very expensive, being imported from NZ. The culture, and native people are wonderful, however, tourism, with all it's negatives is taking hold in FP...trash and plastic in the lovely lagoons, etc. We went to Tahitia, Bora Bora and Moorea. Then we took the Paul Gaugain Cruise for 7 days, which was spectacular...if you want a very luxurious experience..excellent food, good ship, staterooms, etc. It all depends on what you are looking for. Dining our (other than at the hotel you are staying at) is complicated in FP..must arrange ahead of time with the hotel to have a taxi come for you, they take you to the restaurant,and there is a fee to bring you back. Food is expensive, even in the grocery stores. Example: A bowl of onion soup at the Beachcomer on Tahiti was the equivalent of approx. $16. We stayed at the Beachcomer on Moorea and were profoundly dissapointed in the "garden view" room we were given. We had no option to upgrade, and our view was of a plywood fence, and we listened to drills and saws most of the days...due to construction. However, the price of these rooms is in compliance with an advertised "5 Star" experience, we we definitely did not have. Hope that what ever you do, it will be wonderful. This is my feedback. I would go to Mexico, or the Carribean given another chance. I hear that Costa Rica is wonderful.

Old May 31st, 2001, 05:34 PM
Peggy

Julie, <BR>Don't rule out the South Pacific. We too decided not to return to FP about 12 years ago because it was then becoming oversold & commercialized & believe once you've been to Fiji you know what friendly people really are. The Cook Islands are great & so is Samoa. Tonga may be next. Personally I still prefer the South Pacific over the Caribbean but areas other than FP. Mexico is still a favorite destination once a year. Try an overwater bungalow at Aitutaki at half the price of FP & it is beautiful & not yet "honeymoon central". Nothing wrong with honeymooners but is sometimes how they promote & oversell a destination. Happy Travels!

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 07:34 AM
Debbie

<BR>Hi, Bob I just returned in April myself from the Sheraton Moorea Lagoon Resort. It was FABULOUS! The <BR>Horizon Overwater was the BEST! <BR>Julie, Sorry to hear of your bad experience with the Beachcomber. I've been posting all over trying to <BR>tell people to pay a little extra and stay at the Sheraton on Moorea. <BR>I visited the Beachcomber while I was on Moorea and the Sheraton gets <BR>my vote hands down. Again, Please if <BR>you are vacationing on Moorea stay at the SHERATON!!!!!!! <BR>