Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Just realized our first day in Auckland is DH's birthday!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband pointed out to me that our first day in Auckland is his birthday... I can't believe with all of the planning we've done that this completely slipped my attention We arrive at 06:00 am in Auckland and will be quite tired out. DH wants to nap in the hotel for a few hours before we go out explorin'. I have a few questions to make sure the start of our trip goes smoothly. First of all, would we be able to check into the hotel that early??

Second, can anyone recommend a good hotel that is central to the main sites and also close to car rental agencies? Something that is quiet is very imp. We're "splurging" on a room and can pay up to $200.

Lastly, any recommendations for a nice place for dinner to celebrate his b-day? Not super pricey, but nice.

Thanks!
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 04:52 PM

If you mean under NZ$200 in the CBD, that is possible. Check www.wotif.com a few weeks before your departure. http://tinyurl.com/2eqowd8

The Sky City Hotel is centrally located and might be a possibility. It is adjacent to the Auckland Skytower - a possible dinner place. Here the magnificent view is the big attraction rather that the food which is O.K., but not great IMO. I have also heard (but not tried) good things about The French Cafe http://www.thefrenchcafe.co.nz

Old Dec 25th, 2010, 09:10 AM

I think you might enjoy a room closer to the waterfront rather than SkyCity. Maybe Fodors Choice Hilton has a special rate for that day.

Sorry I'm really no help with the restaurants, hopefully someone expert can help.

Many hotels do allow an early check in if the room is available. But unless you want to pay I don't think there is any guarantee. Be sure to ask ahead of time.

If you are coming from the US or parts east you may not feel that tired in the am but rather hit the wall around 3pm. My advice is to stay awake if at all possible, do an early dinner and then to bed. It will help a lot with recovering from jetlag.
Old Dec 25th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

I like that wotif site, never heard of it before. Thanks. French Cafe looks too pricey but oh so yummy... Will keep it in mind.

Is the Sky City hotel the "Sky City Grand"? There's another one called just Sky City, but it is booked. Sky City Grand looks really nice. I like the idea of being next to the Sky Tower just in case we're really exhausted and that's all we can manage for the day... Should I wait until a few weeks before to book it? I'm always afraid of my top choice being full by then.

Mlgb, my DH and I always have different degrees of jetlag. He HAS to nap as soon as he gets to his destination, whereas I am ready to go.

I will e-mail Sky Tower Grand and ask about early check-in.

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 25th, 2010, 03:38 PM

Sky City Hotel is <b>just plain Sky City, not Grand.</b> If you can afford the Sky City Grand...go for it! I think they are next door to each other. Yes, early AM will be too early to check in, but they can check your bags for you and take them to your room, even if you're out. The concierge in either place can book your dinner reservations wherever you decide to go.

Old Dec 25th, 2010, 03:54 PM

They are two separate hotels both associated with the Sky City center.

Check the hotel's own websites, wotif is just a repackager like Expedia, etc. In fact you will find both of those hotels as well as many others on Expedia.

There really isn't anything "to do" at Sky City other than to jump off the tower or gamble.
Old Dec 25th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Sky City Grand emailed me back, they said that we would have to book the previous night in order to check in that early. They were just under $200. If we have to pay for 2 nights, that will affect how much we can afford to pay nightly... Don't some hotels offer a early check-in fee for like $30-50? I could swear I paid this at a hotel somewhere once...

I usually use Tripadvisor to browse for hotels so I can read reviews, but I like how wotif just gives the rates in a chart without any extra info.
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 05:45 AM

Sorry britomart I stayed with friends last visit, they allow early checkin! I have never paid an early checkin fee in NZ, I did once in Peru but that was at an awful small hotel that nicked you for everything.

My approach would be to look for a hotel that has lots of availability (as evidenced by a sale). Even if they don't offer to let you use the room, they should hold the luggage, although that doesn't help your husband.

Wotif is okay for researching sales, as well as availability. Some hotels will have the same rate on their own website (and usually treat you better if booked direct) or will match the rate, or you may find the same rate at a website that does not have booking fees. I try to avoid booking on wotif if possible and after an awful experience with a wotif hotel I will never ever book without checking TA or another resource (never stay at the Godley at Lake Tekapo).

No luck with the Hilton?
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Hilton is $280, too much

I have been trying to book directly with hotels and airlines after booking a flight on Expedia and then getting the run-around when I tried to change a flight home from NY.

So, would we be better off waiting until a few days (weeks?) before we leave, check for a sale, and assume that they will have lots of rooms when we arrive (and thus let us check in early)? Right now I'm tempted to just book something less $$ for the 2 nights.

The early check-in fee was in London I think...
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 03:07 PM

Depends on what availability looks like for your date. If things are tight there might be a concert or some special event, in which case I might book now. Wotif is good for giving you a feel for that.

In the past I've signed up with Millenium Copthorne which has some good email specials and website specials. They are a corporate style chain but serviceable (just watch out for their internet charges!)

http://www.millenniumhotels.com/specials/
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Right now we're considering booking a 1 BR suite in the Auckland City Oaks for 2 nites:

http://www.aucklandcityoaks.co.nz/in....rooms.81.html

It's about $100 per night.
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 04:37 PM

I don't think that is a good location, too far uphill and away from anything of interest.

There are plenty of those apartment type units around in better locations and $99 US should be easy. If you are still stuck on using wotif that may be part of the problem.

Perhaps try aa.co.nz (the NZ auto club) and tripadvisor together, work your way back from the waterfront.
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Yes, you're right, I did read in the reviews that it's a bit of a hike up a steep hill and that it's next to a police station... I think part of what is making it difficult to choose is not knowing which area to stay in... Close to Sky Tower? Queen Street? The train station?

How about Chifley Suites? http://www.chifleysuitesauckland.co.nz/
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 10:33 PM

That is a better location, britomart. It will be pretty dead on the weekends but during the week active with office workers. My friends live another block uphill and around the corner. You'll be able to use the busses on Albert and Queen. I would try not to stay on Queen as it gets a bit dodgy at night.

On the waterfront would be better, but this is okay.
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

I booked it, thanks for the help
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

mlgb, I hope you see this... I have another question. I am beginning to worry about driving for the first time on the left-hand side of the road in Auckland. Do you think we could take public transit to Paihia and also take it when we are there? That would mean my first time driving on the left would be in Picton.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 11:14 AM

It really isn't that bad, britomart, what I would do is to take the Airbus into Auckland (not driving after the long flight is a good idea). Taxis would be quite expensive since the airport is far from town. I think there are also supershuttle type vans.

www.airbus.co.nz

There are busses that go Auckland to Paihia, and if you are going to be there for a while and won't need a car, then that would be okay. Although I think if you pickup a car downtown Auckland, leave after morning rush hour, and then return it to the Auckland airport (rather than back to town) it would not be so bad. Just be sure to get good directions to get onto the motorway out of Auckland.

You can compare the cost of roundtrip bus travel vs the cost and convenience of a rental car.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 11:16 AM

BTW most of the car rental companies should be willing to pick you up at your lodging in Auckland and take you to their rental office. I've used Avis which is pretty close to where you are staying. Usually they are competitive if you can use a discount code thru an airline, Costco, etc.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

I think I've decided to try driving from Auckland... We'll do as you advise and leave after AM rush hour traffic. I'm still pretty nervous about it though! But, the cost for a one-way ticket to Paihia was $50, so it would cost as much to take the bus as to rent the car. We're using Apex. Thanks again for the tips!
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 08:06 AM

Good luck! I find the first turn out of the driveway in the am to be the most challenging, so just take your time and be sure you are winding up in the correct lane!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -