Just back from NZ - here are some tips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from 2 short weeks on South Island, NZ. I thank everyone from the forum who helped me in my planning stages. Here are some observations, tips from my trip:<BR>Internet access is great - it's everywhere and cheap.<BR>The best internet site in Te Anau is next to the Olive Tree Cafe (which is a great place to eat).<BR>Nothing opens early in NZ - even the coffee/bagel shop in Christchurch didn't open until 7:30 a.m. The grocery store in Te Anau didn't open till 8:30 a.m.<BR>Milford or Doubtful Sounds - I went on a day cruise with Real Journeys to both. They are both incredibly beautiful. One difference is wildlife - you're likely to see fur seals and bottlenose dolphins in Doubtful Sound, while you're likely to not see any wildlife (other than the tons of tourists) in Milford. Milford (and Mitre Peak) is strikingly dramatic, however.<BR>If you want to see yellow-eyed penguins, go to the Penguin reserve on Otago Penisula, Dunedin (pronounced &quot;done eden.&quot; A well-run place.<BR>The heli-hike on Franz Josef was more difficult than I expected, mostly because of the particular guide I had, I think. He had us climbing up and down through ice caves and other difficult stretches. Very exciting and thrilling, but be prepared.<BR>There are helicopter rides, with landings on the glaciers, but not hiking, if you want to experience the glaciers but not any strenuous hiking.<BR>That's all I can think of now - still jet-lagged and depressed that the trip is over. I loved NZ - the people and scenery - it's a great place.<BR>Martha<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

A couple of other things -<BR><BR>There were wash clothes in all the hotels I stayed in.<BR><BR>I thought the bus system was a great way to get around - especially on the narrow winding roads on the west coast. The InterCity bus drivers provided interesting commentary, stopped for photo ops, and dropped you off at your accommodation in the smaller towns. I was very pleased that I choose to travel on the busses, versus driving myself.<BR><BR>Martha<BR>
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 03:28 AM

Hi and thanks for your posting. With war in the air, do you think it is wise to go on a honeymoon trip to NZ sometime mid-April?
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 10:10 AM

Re post above: We leave on March 23 for New Zealand.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 02:26 PM

Martha, Since you travelled by bus you may not know the answer to this question, but did you happen to notice whether gas stations were open early in the morning or late at night? Also, did you go to Oamaru to view penguins? Two species are in Oamaru as opposed to only one on the Otago Penninsula. Were sandflies a problem? We leave in three weeks and I can't wait!
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Bride -<BR><BR>It's hard to know what to do about travel plans now. New Zealand seems to be a safe place, although the country and many of its people were against America's war on Iraq. I'm just as glad I returned to the states on March 17th.<BR><BR>In terms of gas stations being open early - it seems like the ones on major roads were open early, but ones in the small towns, off the beaten path, may not have been. As you say, I really didn't pay a lot of attention to gas stations. I did notice the gas price seemed to be NZ$1.15 - per litre, I imagine.<BR>Martha<BR>
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Jahlie -<BR><BR>I forgot - I just saw the penguins on Otago Penisula, which were the yellow-eyed penguins. I passed through Oamaru on the bus, going from Dunedin to Christchurch - but didn't stop.<BR>Martha<BR>
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 01:19 PM

Hi Mjnbron!<BR>We are planning the Franz Joseph heli-hike with our 8 year old son, do you think it will be too difficult for him?<BR>Any more info re. the yellow eyed penguins would also be great as we are planning to do this too.<BR>Thanks.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:09 AM

Glad you enjoyed your trip down under.<BR>Our government is not participating in any conflict with anyone so why stay home when you already have your plans in place.<BR>
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Meg -<BR>I would think an athletic 8 year old might do better on the hike than older people, who are less agile. But it depends on your son. We went through a lot of ice caves - some of which were only about 3 feet in diameter, which makes it more difficult on larger people, versus an 8 year old.<BR><BR>The yellow eyed penguin reserve was on Otago Peninsula, outside of Dunedin. The tours go in the evening, when the penguins are coming back to the beach, after fishing during the day. You go through partially underground trenches, with slots cut just above ground level, so you see the penguins without bothering them too much. I think there are a couple of penguin reserves. The one I went to has the following email address: [email protected] if you want to contact them. Another brochure I have has a website: www.natureswondersnaturally.com. This company doesn't have the bunkers, so I'm not sure what that is like, but is in the same general location. They are about a 30 minute drive from downtown Dunedin.<BR>Martha<BR>
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

MietteMeg -<BR><BR>I just got my pictures back from NZ. I have several taken on Franz Josef Glacier. It might give you a better feel for what the glacier is like. If you want me to email them to you, I'd be happy to - just give me your address.<BR>Martha<BR>
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 12:57 PM

Martha,<BR>Thanks, I'd love to see your pictures. My email address is [email protected]<BR><BR>Odile
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 07:55 AM

In November 2001, we saw the blue penguins in Oamaru. The Town of Oamaru has built a grandstand to view the penguins. There is a small admission fee of just NZ four dollars per person ($3.40 US). Get there early before the tour busses. Volunteers from Oamaru man a microphone and explain the routine to the audience. If you use flash to photograph, your camera will be confiscated. We used a camcorder without a light and our videos turned out really good.<BR><BR>The blue or fairy penguins leave land and enter the ocean at sunrise and return from the sea at sunset. Penguins who are not nesting spend the daylight hours in the ocean eating. Near sunset, they gather in groups called rafts in the ocean; they do this for protection from predators. When enough have gathered, they make their way to shore. They have a path that the penguins follow religiously (the penguins established the path). Once on shore, they stop to groom and then climb up the rocks to the nesting area. They are greeted by the penguins who stayed home to nest and/or watch the babies. <BR><BR>We saw over 130 penguins but we were there during peak season. We spent over two hours and were totally mesmerized. Penguins were popping out of their hiding places near the bleachers; we were not allowed to approach them but they came quite close to us.<BR><BR>Oamaru is a lovely town - very historical. There are lots of motels and a camping area. We stayed at the Avenue Motel and paid $65 NZ or $28 US for a unit with a lounge (living room), kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom. The bedroom had a queen and a single; the lounge had two couches that made beds.<BR><BR>The town has two large grocery stores with an excellent and inexpensive selection of food.<BR><BR>Oamaru is a great place to stop between Dunedin and Christchurch.<BR><BR>We also toured the Yellow-Eyed Penguin Sanctuary in Dunedin. It too was a great experience.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 08:55 AM

mjnbrown-<BR>Please send me the pics you mentioned. I'm going to NZ for a month this summer. My email is [email protected]. Thanks very much.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 03:20 PM

Hi Bride<BR><BR>We were in both Oz and NZ last August and are returning the first week of April back to Sydney and then on to both islands of NZ. We agree with KathyNZ, NZ is a beautiful country with a great deal to see. We have friends in Auckland and are looking forward to seeing them again.<BR><BR>I would not think that you would have any greater of a chance of meeting people who wanted to express their opinions on the issues in NZ than you would right here at home.<BR><BR>And what a wonderful way to spend a honeymoon!<BR><BR>Congratulations in advance!<BR><BR>Cheers<BR><BR>Steve<BR>
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:41 AM

Just a mention. Forgot to advise our gas stations are open long hours, many 24 hours a day. <BR>Also study www.purenz.com it has lots of info for every aspect of a holiday down under.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 03:51 PM

US News &amp; World Report is preparing an article about travel in these troubled times. We'd love to hear from Americans who have recently traveled to or are about to travel to New Zealand or Australia to find out why that was their chosen destination and what their concerns and experiences were. If you're interested in sharing your view, email Kim Clark at [email protected].<BR>Thanks