Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Just back fom Australia - any questions ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 04:26 AM
Anna

<BR>We have just returned from Australia. Ours stops included the following: <BR> <BR>Singapore <BR> <BR>Perth <BR>Ayers Rock <BR>Palm Cove (between Cairns and Port Douglas) <BR>Daintree Rain Forest <BR>Sydney <BR>Blue Mountains - Katoomba <BR>Hunter Valley - Pokolbin <BR>Coffs Harbour (AVOID) <BR> <BR>Bangkok <BR> <BR>Any questions ? <BR>

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 06:32 AM
Shannon

I am going to Australia in six months. We are going to stay in Sydney and also visit the Blue Mountains. Is there anything you would definely reccommend that we do, that may not be mentioned in the travel guides?

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 09:48 AM
mary Ann

Hi Anna <BR>We will be going in November to Palm Cove. What is the best day trip you took and any particular restaurants? Did you stay inside Daintree? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Mary Ann

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 10:47 PM
Anna

<BR>Shannon, <BR> <BR>Sorry, but as we were in Sydney for New Year's Eve we just did the standard guidebook stuff in the city. I would however, Quay restaurant for dinner - it has a stunning view of the Opera House, especially when it is floodlit at night. Bel Mondo is a very good Italian Restaurant in the Rocks. The Bounty harbour cruise is fun too, <BR> <BR>As for Blue Mountains - we stayed in Echoes in Katoomba, because Lilianfels was only accepting 4 night reservations. I would definately recommend it though - very homely and the corner rooms probably have the best views in the whole Blue Mountains area. It has a BYO restaurant and is overlooking the 3 Sisters, without any road separating it from them (unlike Lilianfels). Darley's restaurant in Lilianfels is also worth checking out. <BR> <BR>If you like wine, there is a superb bottle shop (liqour store) in Leura. I cannot remember the name of it, but anyone can point you there (its in the middle of the main street). It's worth visiting just for a look at its cellar, but especially worth a trip if you are dining in a BYO restaurant. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>Mary Ann, I have e-mailed you separately. <BR> <BR>Anna

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 07:23 AM
Stephanie

Do you know what kind of weather Australia has in Feb?

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 07:50 AM
Louise

Stephanie - for the weather go to www.oztravel.com.au and then to the particular area you are interested in.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 04:08 PM
Joe W.

Anna - Where did you stay and what did you do in Singapore, Perth, & Bangkok. Will be visiting these places within the next month. Would appreciate any information and tips you could give. Thanks Joe W.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 04:32 PM
bb

Anna, would like to hear what you did in the Cairns area. Also, do you think Ayers Rock is worth the airfare if we can only spend 2 nights? We'd be going from Sydney to Cairns via the Rock. What are the must-do, must-see in these areas. thanks.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 10:21 AM
Anna

RE. Singapore <BR>We stayed at Ritz-Carlton & Raffles. Loved both. Its worth going to the Ritz Carlton just for the bathrooms. Raffles is an amazing hotel - like stepping back to the colonial era. Nothing better than swimming in their pool at 5am. We mostly shopped and ate in Singapore. <BR> <BR>RE: Perth <BR>Stayed at the Rendezvous Observation at Scarborough. Its a crap hotel but located on a beautiful beach with stunning views of the sunset. We were only there for 2 nights. Went to Freemantle & Rottnest Island. Personally, it was not our favourite part of Australia (as tourists - probably lovely to live in). If we were to return to Western Austrlia, we would go to Margaret River or Broome. <BR> <BR>RE. Bangkok <BR>Stayed at the Peninsula. Could not praise it highly enough. Stayed in a one bed suite - best value hotel ever. Did some sightseeing (Grand Palace, Floating market etc.) and shopping. Got some suits made. Spent half a day at the Oriental Spa. Well worth a couple of days, I would not be inclined to spend much more time there though. <BR> <BR>RE. Ayers Rock <BR>We only stayed on night. It was enough for us. Probably one of the must - do things in Oz, but we will not be going back. The Sails in the Desert is the best hotel they have to offer, but its not that special. The Sounds of Silence Dinner is definately woth attending. <BR> <BR>Hope this is of some use. Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you have any more questions. <BR> <BR>Bon voyage! <BR> <BR>Anna

Old Feb 9th, 2000, 05:43 PM
Kittie

Anna, <BR> <BR>We are interested in hiking to the top of Ayer's Rock. Any info you have on this would be appreciated. <BR> <BR>Kittie

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 07:20 AM
KIM

DEAR ANNA, <BR>WE ARE GOING TO AUSTRAILIA ON OUR HONEYMOON IN NOV. I WAS PLANNING ON GOING TO DAINTREE. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS? ALSO, I STILL CAN NOT DECIDE IF IT IS WORTH GOING TO AYERS ROCK. IS IT A MUST? ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. <BR>THANKS! <BR>KIM

Old Feb 13th, 2000, 01:49 PM
BJStine

Planning a 23 day trip to Australia and New Zealand May 18. Any info appreciated, especially side trips not worth money or time. Also, any info on purchasing local wine as gift, without having to carry it the whole trip. Thanks

Old Feb 13th, 2000, 11:48 PM
Anna

Dear Kittie <BR> <BR>We decided to take a helicopter flight around Ayers Rock rather than climb it. Basically, we thought that, since the Aboriginees have strong relifious objections to climbing the rock, we should respect their wishes (we wouldn't be too happy if they decided to party in our churches). BUT, that said, most people do the climb. It is well catered for. Obviuosly (given the heat) most people climb in the early morning and late evening. One thing that people eho have climbed it recommend though, is that you buy a hat with netting, to protect your face from the very many flies in the area (you need your hand to hold onto the rope rather than fly swatting). <BR> <BR>Dear Kim <BR> <BR>I can definately recommend Silky Oaks Lodge in Daintree, especially for a honeymoon. Make sure to book a table by the river at least one evening. Book yourselves on some of their guided walks, they are excellent (especially the night walk). we did not have time when we were there, but we heard from others that the full day 4 wheel drive safari is excellent. <BR> <BR>As for Ayers Rock, it's a very personal thing. Last time I was in Australia, I skipped it (partly because I was a 19 year old student and money was an issue). This time, my husband was very keen to see it, so we included it in our trip. Personally, I would have been happy to skip it again, he was glaed that we stopped but figured that one night there was enough. <BR> <BR>The whole red earth / desert thing is quite impressive (we don't have much of that in London). The rock is exactly what you expect. I was hoping to get a better feel for aboriginal culture than we actually got. In hindsight, maybe we should have included Alice Springs for a more authentic Northern Territory experience (Ayers Rock Resort is just that - a resort with a number of different standards of accommodation). <BR> <BR>We stayed at the Sails in the Desert, which was OK, nothing special. I would definately recommend the Sounds of Silence Dinner, especially if you are on honeymoon - you get beautiful sunset views of the Rock, over a glass of champagne. We were very lucky -we sat at a wonderful table with 6 very nice strangers and had an excellent evening (I hope that you are as lucky). <BR> <BR>In summary, we took the view that we may not get back to Oz very often, so we included the Rock. We are glad that we did so, but are not likely to do so again. <BR> <BR>Dear BJ <BR> <BR>I'm not much use on New Zealand, I'm afraid (although I'd love to go to the South Island). I summary - I would definately recommend Queensland (we only went North of Cairns, and loved it). We will definately extend the Queensland bit next time, and spend some time atound the Townsville area. Sydney is another must. Melbourne is lovely, but arguably more of a place to live than to visit if time is limited - having said that there's lots to do there, Phillip Island etc. I have never been, but have heard great things about Adelaide. However, if are only to do 2 things properly - try Sydney & Queensland (Port Douglas / Palm Cove). <BR> <BR>Very happy to give hotel recommendadtions - e-mail me at [email protected] if you are interested. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, <BR> <BR>Anna