itinery for south island

Sep 12th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

itinery for south island

Ok I have some plans....a day for Milford cruise and fly....another day, Shotover river rafting and lastly fishing on the lake at Queenstown.....I would like to do a short hike (less than 2 hours)along a river with all the ferns and waterfalls..since we can't do the lower Milford track....should we go to Glenorchy or Arrowtown?
Sep 12th, 2008, 06:27 PM

I have several detailed hiking suggestions for QT, Te Anau and Arrowtown in this trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...3&tid=35118771

You might enjoy walking the Routeburn Track to Key Summit - fantastic walk.

Glenorchy is a 40 minute drive from QT, and while it has some great tracks, some of them can be difficult to get to. You can walk a portion of the Heaphy Track from Glenorchy, but if you're driving a rental car, be prepared to cross some fords and cow paddocks.
Sep 12th, 2008, 06:32 PM

Another thought -

You might consider walking a portion of the Kepler Track (starting at the Control gates of Lake Te Anau). The walk to Rainbow Reach follows the Waiau River through beech forest.
Sep 13th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Im a little confused.....the pictures look good but for the most part I want a hike thats mostly flat ...as far as the cities I mentioned I was wondering if a visit to the towns would be interesting....A track close to Queenstown would be great to me..The fern forest would be most interesting to me Thanks
Sep 13th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Hi hypatia -

Sorry if I confused you.

How long are you planning to spend in the areas you've mentioned?

I ask, because time always seems to be an issue for travelers in NZ and which hikes I suggest are a bit dependent on where you'll be and how long you'll be there. In other words, there are some logistical considerations.

For example, if you have time in the Te Anau area, you can get to many hikes that will fit your needs, such as the Kepler Track which I mentioned. The portion from the Control Gates to Rainbow Reach is easy and level, it runs along a river and it goes through both rain forest and beech forest. You can walk this one way, and pick up a shuttle to get back to Te Anau, but it will involve some planning.

However, if you're just passing through Te Anau on your way to Milford (which is a 4 hour drive from QT each way) you'll not have enough time.

There are many tracks in the vicinity of QT that would probably work for you as well. The Mt Crighton Track that I mentioned in my trip report would work well, but it's not along a river, although it does go through rainforest. It's a great hike, but not particularly level.

The Routeburn Track to Key Summit isn't level either, and it's between Te Anau and Milford Sound, so once again, you'd need to plan your time well.

There are some easy level walks along the Arrow River (from Arrowtown) which pass through rainforest. Arrowtown is easy to get to from QT and it's really close, so that might be your best option.
Sep 14th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! It's just I'm clueless as to NZ..I will only be in Queenstown..that's it..It will be allday to Milford by plane and half day to do the river raft( or jet boat) and another half to do some fishing.

So I will have a free day to either rent a car to do something or plan a tour..sounds like Arrowtown is a good option.....are there ferns on the river walk there?
Sep 14th, 2008, 04:40 PM

Okay, I get it now. Didn't realize you'd be based in QT.

If you only have one free day, suggest you rent a car and head to Arrowtown or Glenorchy.

The drive to Glenorchy is absolutely gorgeous - it's a 40 minute drive from QT. There are many nice tracks along the way so you can stop as you see fit.

Never fear, you'll find ferns on just about every track. Waterfalls and rivers are a wee bit harder to come by.

I'll try to pull up some more info and post it shortly.

Sep 14th, 2008, 04:49 PM

Click on the link below to pull up some walk options in the QT area. There are detailed descriptions of each walk, including what type of flora you might expect to see:

http://www.doc.govt.nz/templates/tra....aspx?id=36545

When you're finished with that link, just type Arrowtown tracks in the upper right search box to pull up options for Arrowtown.

This is the NZ DOC site and I think you'll find it very helpful.

Sep 14th, 2008, 04:52 PM

Another thought -

Just pop into the Visitor's center on Shotover Street when you arrive in QT and pick up a free walking map. This is how we found most of the walks we tried on our last visit.
Jan 31st, 2009, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

thanks I will
Mar 7th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

I think an excustion to Arrowtown(shopping,lunch and a short hike) would work best.. Are any off these what I may be looking for.......Tobin's Track, the Loop, Sawpit Gully, and the Lake Hayes Walk ( by that I mean short ,not too steep...)
Mar 7th, 2009, 01:44 PM

Sawpit Gully is an 8 km loop with a few steep bits. It took us just over two hours to walk. It was one of our top three favorites from that particular trip.

The Lake Hayes walk is a completely level loop - not terribly exciting, but a good walk just the same. It's a five mile circuit, which took us 90 minutes to walk.

I haven't walked Tobin's Track, but here are some details:

http://tramper.co.nz/?42

For short walks, you might consider the Bush Creek Trail, which begins near the start for the Sawpit Gully. It's an undulating trail that leads through the forest, skirts along and above the creek, and eventually ends at a waterfall (2 miles, about 3.2 km, 60 minute return).

Another possibility in Arrowtown is the walk along the Arrow River - the Arrow River Track. It's easy, level and meanders along and over the river - it's about 3 miles long and it took us about an hour.
Mar 8th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Bush Creek Trail sounds right up my alley...........where does that trail start? directions?
I will be river rafting so Im sure I'll see alot of the river ...in between the screaming.

Also on google earth ...what is that patch of forest west of Arrowtown?

Ima not feelin the desert bald mountains...Im a forest kinda person...
Mar 8th, 2009, 02:43 PM

Details of the Bush Creek Trail taken from the following site:

http://www.arrowtown.com/walking-tracks.html

Bush Creek Trail Time: 1 hour return Grade: Easy

Start by the Trails Notice Board at Butlers Green and walk diagonally to your left to cross a small footbridge over Bush Creek. Then turn left and follow the dirt road west, the irrigation pipe is on your right. Approx 5mins into the trail you will pass what remains of one of Arrowtowns old outdoor ice skating rinks. Continue up the road until you walk over the irrigation pipe and through a sheep gate. The trail now winds gently along next to Bush Creek. Look out for stone walls in the centre of the river. These were reportedly built by Chinese miners in an effort to divert the water from one side to the other. They then worked the dry side, always profitably. After 15 minutes, the trail will lead up over a footbridge where the Big Hill and Sawpit Gully trails start. Veer left at this point and continue along Bush Creek to the old water supply intake (1881). To return, retrace your steps back to Arrowtown.

Not sure what the big patch of green is west of Arrowtown. It's obviously a forest, but I can't find anything about it.
Mar 9th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

it looks beautiful on google earth
Mar 9th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Where is Butlers Green.....not idea what you are talking about.....
Mar 9th, 2009, 09:47 PM

Butler's Green is the park right next to the Arrow River, which is located directly behind the street of businesses that makes up Arrowtown. Park your car there, then walk downhill to the left towards the river (near the Chinese Settlement). You'll see the sign for the Bush Creek Track.

Arrowtown is tiny. If you have any trouble, just drive down the main drag, call in at the museum which is also the tourist office and get a map and/or directions.
Mar 9th, 2009, 10:03 PM

I need to interject here.. if you are specifically looking for the ferns and waterfalls experience you won't find it in Arrowtown. There's a pleasant little walk through the miner's village that's flat but I don't recall that it was tree fern territory.

I think your best bet is to go into the Info center in Queenstown and ask. They really know their stuff there.
Mar 9th, 2009, 11:02 PM

My understanding of hypatia's post of March 7 is that he/she had decided on a day in Arrowtown and was looking for a short walk.

The Bush Creek Track doesn't go through the miner's village, but does pass nearby. It's certainly not the fern and waterfall experience hypatia mentioned earlier, but it does go through a forest and end at a wee waterfall.
Mar 11th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you...the thing is I only have a day and a half to see some great fall foliage,scenery,streams and such....just something beautiful and interesting (like the Chinese houses)...fairly short and easy hike..that's not too remote...I don't want to walk for hours or days in the rain.....one hour walk..that's what Im looking for.....from what I understand that most of that area is gorgeous wherever you go.
.....I don't like hiking up bald hills....I will try to stop in town but I'll have a car and will probably just take off..I am river rafting and taking a plane ride to the Milford cruise as well as experiencing a farm experience with ATV riding....so this is just to experience tthe hardwood and maybe see some wildlife

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO