Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Itinerary help for trip in early May for 3 generation

Jan 30th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

My Husband and I are planning on visiting Australia in early May with both our parents and our little daughter. This is the first time we go Australia, as well as with such a big group and wide range of age (3 for 60+, 2 for 30+ and 1 18 months).

We plan to go for around 10-14 days, and would like to visit Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and if possible, Cairns. Our budget is around AUD500 per day (exclude airfare).

Is it advisable to drive through the whole journey? And if we drive, where are the good stopover (esp along Sydney to Brisbane)?

Where should we visit and what should we do?

Any suggestion for accommodation?

Appreciate for any info. Thanks in advance.
Jan 31st, 2006, 05:57 PM

van: about $400 - $500 a week plus insurance and fuel.
Fuel: about $12 / 100km +/- ?
accomodation (if you stay at motor inns along the way): i don't know but in my town a big family room is between $70 - $130 a night depending on season and stars.
Food: if you buy prepared food then countr lunches at pubs may be the cheapest option plus plan to buy bread and butter and then $5 of chips and make chip sandwiches to save on money. But if you want variety and fast food then its expensive here. Breakky at McDs for 2 adults 2 kids can easily go past $20
Then add cost of attractions and souvies etc.

Compare these costs to airflights which will save you many days travel but you miss wonderful places to visit.

Compare this to getting a campervan or RV and cooking as you go as well. My friends are doing this from Syd to Cairns soon so if I remember I'll try to let you know how much they spent.

For syd to bris I'd research www.mynrma.com.au in detail.

How many stops you want along the way? if only one then the logical place is Coffs Harbour although i think Kempsey (boring) is half way.

if you drive then there is a petrol station a little north of newcastle (about 1 hours or so and north of buladelah) that has a small version of ayres rock built and inside it are some australiana stuff for tourists. Anyways, through all the 90's and even the last time I went there in 2002 it was the cheapest place for petrol until you get to hastings point (also potts point and banora point) near the border. Actually these towns might also have petrol cheaper than most of Brisbane and the gold coast. plus its a very pretty place to visit and have lunch or tea.

if you want to visit more places along the way then places like port macquarie, ballina byron bay etc are all nice.

Jan 31st, 2006, 09:52 PM

Minz - the price of unleaded petrol in Sydney, I think is around $1.30 (not completely sure though), but in Hervey Bay its around $1.16, and it usually cheaper in the south east queensland, eg. brisbane, gold coast, etc.
You have received excellent advice off other members regarding driving between Sydney & Brisbane, however, could I just add a few "interesting" drives & places to visit enroute....
1. South West Rocks (outside of Kempsey) - take the turn-off before reaching Kempsey, which will be signposted Sth West Rocks & Gladstone, this is a lovely drive through gorgeous rural countryside.
2. Nambucca Heads is a nice coastal village, and is situated off the highway.
3. Instead of driving north out of Ballina on the Pacific highway, take the coastal road, which runs up to Pottsville and Byron Bay, an excellent coastal drive.
4. If you intend to stay overnight somewhere near Coffs Harbour, opt for the coastal village of Woolgoolga.
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:17 PM

Chip sandwiches?
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:35 PM

"Chip sandwiches?"

With Vegemite, of course!
Feb 1st, 2006, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Need some advise.... is it worth to purchase the SmartVisit Card for Melbourne and Sydney? Any command?

We would like to visit the zoo, join the opera house tour, habour cruise, and visit the blue mountain, + some activites for kids.

Thanks.
Mar 30th, 2008, 09:52 PM

Some suggestions for cheaper meals. Try visiting the licensed clubs - the only requirement is that you sign their visitors register on entry. Meals are often substantial and cheap.
For the older people in your group - most clubs and pubs offer seniors' meals - usually around $10-12 for two courses.
For accommodation, have a look at the caravan park sites and consider using cabins. Most are modern and have kitchen and bathrooms, plus you have the use of all the facilities - BBQs, pools, games rooms, playgrounds etc.
Try www.big4.com.au and www.toptouristparks.com.au