From Sydney to Adelaide

We'll be driving between Sydney and Adelaide
in August. About a week set aside. Any
suggestions of places to stay, eat, see
would be wonderful. Any thing we should not
miss? Thank you.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney to Adelaide is a long way, and there are a variety of possible routes. Which way do you intend to go?
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 07:39 PM

Normally I advise people to hug the coast.... but two things make me decide that in your case this advice isn't appropriate. First is that from Sydney to Adelaide around the coast is a LONG way! Second is that in August the south coast beaches are far from at their best (though there may be some opportunities for whale watching), and, after a few kilometres, you'd probably find that the charm had run out.

However, there are some great sights between Sydney and Adelaide, if you don't mind getting off the tourist track (that means, you won't see many Marriotts and Hyatts, but you will get a chance to sample the beds at a few of Australia's country pubs).

Here's a sample itinerary for our other, more knowledgeable posters to kick around:

Don't miss the entire coast -- drive south of Sydney as far as Bateman's Bay, where you could spend your first night; on the way have a look at a couple of coastal villages (e.g. Sussex Inlet, Ulladulla). Then head west to Canberra, where you should really spend at least a night and two days. Since you have your own car, you can save a bit of money by staying in nearby Queanbeyan and driving to the sights of Canberra.

From Canberra there is a scenic (but, if I recall, rather slow and bendy) road through the mountains to Tumut, from which it's a short hop to historic Gundagai (there's a song about a dog that every Aussie knows from birth.... if you visit Gundagai, you will surely get to know it, too).

From Gundagai you head straight down the Hume Highway to Wagga Wagga, a large town where you can get accommodation in all grades, so you may like to spend your third night here (though there are some nice old pubs in Gundagai, if memory serves). Near Wagga Wagga, you leave the Hume Highway and head west on the Sturt Highway (towards Narrandera) and go straight into the lovely wine district around Mildura and Renmark. You'll probably want to spend a day (and your fourth night) there exploring the wineries. The Sturt Highway continues right to Adelaide.

This itinerary isn't, I think, too ambitious, and would give you a chance to see some of the variety that Australia has to offer: coastal villages, historic inland towns, the nation's capital, the edge of the Snowy Mountains, and the wineries of South Australia. Pretty good for a week, I'd think!
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 08:20 PM

I think Allan has given excellent advice. He is advising you to sample a variety of countryside, from coastal to inland, as he said, don't frighten to stay in a country pub or two, to get the real Australian experience, instead of one of those boring motel dog boxes. Make a point of trying to visit unusual places, or out of the way places, to meet unusual people, its what travelling is about, enriching the mind.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 08:56 PM

At the risk of confusing the issue, another inland alternative is to visit the historic and once booming riverboat towns of Echuca and Swan Hill, on the Victorian side of the Murray River. Assuming you follow Alan's route as far as Canberra, this would involve leaving the Hume Highway at Wodonga and striking west.

All of the inland routes offer some long, relatively featureless stretches - this is unavoidable and shouldn't deter you.

Now, although I haven't eaten there I feel fairly confident in suggesting Stefano's Restaurant, located in the old cellars of the Grand Hotel in Mildura (a Riverland town you'll pass through if you follow Alan's route). Its owner/chef, Stefano de Pieri, who is of Venetian stock, has made a couple of excellent cooking series for ABC-TV and has a strong commitment to using local ingredients. But I suggest booking well ahead - we couldn't get a table on a Saturday night, even with two week's notice. (www.stefano.com.au/27deakin.php)
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 06:40 AM

We are planning on driving from Sydney to Adelaide, but in a campervan. We have a little over two weeks. Is the itnerary Alan gave doable in a campervan?

Thanks.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 11:00 PM

Hi

We did a similar trip in 2000. We gave it a double "theme". We wanted to follow the Murray River and to visit Ned Kelly country. Our trip, which was great, follows.

Two nights Canberra, staying at the Novotel (we had points to use)
Two nights Thredbo staying at the Alpine Apartments.
One night Yackandandah, staying at Arcadia cottage, a sort of B&B but in a free standing cottage on the property. Very nice, no other buildings visible.
One night Yarrawonga, staying in the Murray Valley Resort. Don't stay here unless you have kids!
One night Morool staying in the Riverside Cabins at the Caravan Park. Highly recommend these, amazing view. Ate at Oscar Ws in Echuca.
One night in Mildura staying at the Grand. Ate at Stephanos.

Great trip. I have included the places we had our lash out meals. They were wonderful. Other times we ate in pubs.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to Neil, Tropo, and Alan.
I appreciate your suggestions for our
drive. We seek the unusual, out of the
ordinary sights and you've provided
some ideas that sound great. Thank you
for your time!