Search

Is four days on Rangiroa too much?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:48 AM
TC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is four days on Rangiroa too much?

We are going to Tahiti in Nov 2005 - two couples, active 50-somethings. Primary purpose of the trip is to sail and dive. We will live aboard a 43 ft. sailboat for two weeks. Sailing from Raiatea, we will call at Tahaa, Bora Bora, and Huahine.

Prior to boarding the boat, we would like to spend time on Rangiroa. Had originally thought to spend two nights at Chez Josephine and two nights at Kia Ora Sauvage. Getting to and from Sauvage is a nightmare due to boat and flight schedules. So, Plan B - stay the whole four nights at Chez Josephine. This would give our guys (the divers) a full three days to dive and make the travel days to and from Rangiroa/Papeete/Raiatea much easier.

Questions: is four days on Rangiroa too much? can we non-divers find things to do? We don't need beaches every minute. We are happy to sit and read, have a nice local meal, picnic, snorkel, enjoy a sunset, etc.

Any discussion is welcome. Thanks
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 09:28 PM
ALF

You can easily spend 4 days on Rangiroa. Admittedly, activities and locales are limited, but you can occupy yourselves well. Of course, the diving is fantastic, but even if you don't dive, there are fun snorkel trips you can take. You can hire a boat to take you out into one of the passes between motus; Tiputa Pass is the largest and closest to Avatoru. Because of the strong currents, the pass is teaming with fish.

You can take a day-long trip across the Rangiroa Lagoon, to the small coral-enclosed Blue Lagoon. Several boat operators do this; we hired Tane Tamaehu to take us out there - his wife runs a small pension, Chez Henriette, near Avatoru. This little lagoon is very pleasant and scenic, and a great place for a picnic, with just-caught fish. Another good place to snorkel.

You can also pay a visit to the Gaugain Pearl Farm. Watching the workers set up clam clusters for hanging in the lagoon, and the 'grafters' who implant the clams with a tiny bead to initiate pearl formation, is fascinating. This is also seems like a good place to buy pearls, after comparing prices in stores in the Tuamotus and Society Islands. We purchased a few pearls that were (comparatively) inexpensive, because they had some minor flaws, then had them mounted on necklaces and earrings at a small boutique in town.

You can also walk around Avatoru, but this will only take a couple of hours. The cemetary was interesting, and if you are adventurous, there are some unique little places to eat local fare.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:51 AM
TC
Original Poster

Alf: Thank you for the reassurance. I think we'll be just fine. Would love your suggestions for local meals as we are quite adventureous eaters and love local encounters. Have found a web site for a winery on Rangiroa - surprise! Did you tour it or drink any of the locally made wines?
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 10:43 AM
ALF

Wow! I'm having a hard time picturing a vineyard or winery on Rangiroa. Where is it?
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 01:23 PM
TC
Original Poster

I know nothing about the island or locations, but here is the web site address. What do you think?

http://www.vindetahiti.pf/en/vindetahiti_en.html
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 08:30 PM
ALF

From the photos, it looks like the vineyard is across Avatoru Pass, on the side opposite the town of Avatoru. Sounds like a unique trip! I would check it out!

I don't know a lot about winemaking, but I was under the impression that the ideal wine grape-growing climate involved mild winters and moderate-temperature summers. I wonder how they get around that in Rangiroa.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 05:45 AM
TC
Original Poster

Alf: Do you know "Pascal and Cosetta"? I've read these names several times regarding good snorkel trips through the pass. Wondering how to contact them.

We will check out the vineyard. Should be quite interesting -- if its still there in November. Thanks.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 08:58 AM
ALF

Pascal and Cosetta run a trip to go watch the bottlenose dolphins that populate Tiputa Pass. The fish are so plentiful on the tidal change, that it is a buffet banquet for the dolphins. You should definitely get the divers in your group to check out these sites, although they can only be dived at certain times to avoid dangerous tidal current vortexes. The Pascal and Cosetta trip entails drift snorkeling through the Pass, where you will definitely see tons of fish, including barracuda, sharks, eels, turtles, and hopefully dolphins. I have not been on this trip, but witnessed it while diving in Tiputa Pass. The trip costs about 5,000 francs, and I'm sure that you can book it through Kia Ora Village.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 08:59 AM
ALF

Here is their Web site, but it is en Francaise:

http://www.dolphin-watch.pf/